Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Your First Speed Week?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 4, 2020.

1. My first time there was early '70s? Family vacation, just passing through on a road trip. As I remember it, my dad claimed he had no idea it was speed week before we got there. In later years I came to find out he was quite the motor head back in the late 40s/early 50s so who knows...

I'm in the red shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. khead47

khead47

My favorite car there in 2010 was Bombshell Betty. 100_0054.JPG 100_0057.JPG 100_0091.JPG 100_0091.JPG 100_0057.JPG

3. khead47

khead47

Ooops. Sorry bout the repeats.

4. khead47

khead47

The Model A went 121 !!!!!

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

First time was 2008, I took my dad out there ( his first too) and we went back again in 2016. He’s not real good with long drives anymore and hates to fly, it’s 1500 miles for us one way, but hopefully we can make at least one more trip.
    D280F69D-5878-43DC-AE1E-C7424DEDCBD5.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Phil's Wagon.jpg

My first time was in 1972 with Phil Stevenson. He drove his 55 Chevy up there from Southern California, changed the back tires and wheels to 18-inchers (the ones in my avatar) and went 149 MPH. It had a 390" Cadillac with four 97s (I had a wastebasket full of them from my 6-pot street roadster plus more from our drag roadster). He bought the manifold at a swap meet for $20. He won the SCTA trophy for the fastest car driven there.

chryslerfan55, 36 ROKIT, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Went in 2012, 13, Got 1/2 way there in 14, 16, 17. In 18 we finally set the record. That was enough for me. After 35 years of nitro drag racing I guess I needed the element of a car in the other lane. It all depends on what's in your blood.

8. You win.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. My first time on the salt was 1960, a wide eyed 15 year old kid trying to take in all he could. Went out the next morning before sun up to watch record runs. Watching the sun come up over floating mountain was like nothing I'd ever seen. Even as a teenager I knew I was having a religious experience. Been back 11 times, and they were all great experiences, but the first time was really special.

10. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

2007 was first year for the Busch Bros. We had finished our Model A Bucket one week prior, and got invited to caravan out to the salt with a group of hot rodders. What better way to work out the bugs right? Trip changed our lives, and we met so many people who remain good friends to this day. If we had a dollar for every person who told us that Bonneville is on their bucket list... One word: GO!

11. Yes, it will be a rental...I have heard about the cleaning fee as well.
    I plan on getting some of that stick down carpet plastic that contractors use and put it in the interior and then high pressure wash the outside at a carwash and the run it through a place that has the undercarriage wash a couple of times...
    Hopefully that will get me past the extra fee's...
    If anyone has any proven methods about that i would love to hear them!!!
    Thanks
    Chappy

12. That plastic works great. It also helps if you wipe your feet before getting in, I keep a spare rear floor mat for that

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Chappy444 like this.
  13. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

1987 first time and many since. best memories of 87 was watching Al Teague and Nolan White making their runs, hooked me and never try to miss. This year border is closed, so no possibility.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought some cheap yoga mats, and cut them to fit, like removable floor mats. Makes it easy to remove, shake off the salt and replace.

chryslerfan55 and Chappy444 like this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Came to B Ville back in 91 with Frank Oddo and John Hesford and the Reid strip Special drop tank
    My photos are prints sitting in my office but I can’t get to them because
    C789951A-CB18-4838-B3EC-83371EAF5B0D.jpeg

16. aircap

aircap

First time was in 1998 for the 50th. I arrived on Friday afternoon and left the following Friday afternoon. I have often described it as the most satisfying motorsports event of my life. I'd love to go back.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s my first speed week! I’m about a hundred and fifty miles from the Salt as we speak, camped by the most beautiful creek! It’s on like donkey Kong tomorrow!

Bones

chryslerfan55, MJW, pprather and 2 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

First went in 2002, on the way home from a Canada vacation with my kids.

It's been hit or miss since then...I got close last year, made it to Wendover, but not the salt.

19. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

IMG_0435.JPG My

My first Land Speed experience was watching Craig Breedlove make a run in the Black Rock desert, can’t remember the speed but in the 600 mph range I believe. We were probably only 100 yards away when he spun out. Then made my first trip to Bonneville in 98” for the 50th. I’m on my way this morning, can’t wait.

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  20. I went in 2017,2018 and 2019. I went with Lee Sicilio. Lee wrecked at 285 mph at Bonneville last September. I hope I get another opportunity to go with him next year but he isn't going this year.

21. atch

atch

I've got a glass jar up on a shelf; about 8" diameter and 6" tall. It's about 80% full of car show/event buttons. That one is in there somewhere.

In '98, being the 50th, they especially invited hot rods/street rods. They had us all meet at the starting line at some appointed time and let us drive down the black line together. That is, strung out single file. They told us to keep it under 60 (iirc) but just about everyone backed off at some pint to give a big gap between him and the car in front of him, then hammed it. I don't think that I got up to but about 80 before I caught up with the car in front of me. I'll probably never get to drive a competition car on the track out there so that will have to suffice for me as my memory of running the lack line.

They also had us line up in a big circle, facing a van in the center. The van had a 360* camera mounted on top. This thing rotated slowly through the entire 360* and overlapped on each end a bit. We stood as still as we could as the camera rotated past us. I didn't think that I could afford the cost of a print at that time. I think it was $50 but I'm not sure. Now I wish I had an opportunity to buy one at whatever price. I think that the camera was mounted on a van, but it could have just been on a tripod on the ground; I just can't remember. I don't know how many cars are in the picture, but Id guess about 75 - 100.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  22. atch

atch

As they say: "this post is worthless without pix."

So I dug around in the old 35mm photo albums and came up with some from '98. Disclaimer: what you're going to see are 35mm prints that I took out of a photo album, laid on a coffee table, and took pix with my phone. Quality might not be very good, but here goes:

Hot rods at the starting line. That looks like Bob Klessig's Chevy street rod to my left. Anyone confirm that? I didn't know Bob at that time, but like most all of you who ever met him once we did acquaint ourselves he treated me like his best friend. I wish I could be more like him. I sure do miss him.
    20200807_103920_1596816025675_001.jpg

Going down the track. That semicircular thing at the bottom is my traffic light finder. I say "my", but it actually belongs to a friend and has been on loan to me for almost 30 years.
    20200807_104028_1596816025243_001.jpg

Here is Skip Redeo's car next to Clarence. That's Skip and Dave Lucari in the center of the pic. You'll notice that the back doors of Clarence are opened to parallel with the centerline of the truck. I made two brackets that can be installed in about 30 seconds that hold the doors in that position and are very sturdy. When cruising the fairgrounds or car show 3 people can stand on the floor in the back and look out over the top of Clarence. One (at least) on each running board. And two or more inside. Clarence has spent quite a lot of time cruising shows with 7 or more people riding along.
    20200807_104151_1596816024715_001.jpg

And here is Dave and his car. That is not Clarence. Clarence was still black at that point in time. I don't know whose white F-1 truck that is.
    20200807_104245_1596816023652_001.jpg

To show us what the 360* print would look like they had the '91 picture laying on the ground for folks to see.
    20200807_104406_1596816023823_001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was there in 1998 with my 48. Avatar photo taken by a Japanese tourist with my camera with me cut out of that photo. I didn't make it there until Monday afternoon as I had an event up here that I never missed going to. Went to the show here, drove 90 miles home, repacked the truck and took off for Bonneville. That made me miss all the weekend festivities.
    I took 25 rolls of 35 MM photos that week that took me about a month to have developed as I could only afford to do a half dozen rolls a pay day.

24. tmlittle

tmlittle

25. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

This year was my first but not my last. Sunrise on The Salt on Sunday with my OT pickup that I drove out and camped in the back of.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  26. Thats BobK's street rod

Lucky Burton and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, I just spent three days at Bonneville! Here are a few of my observations.
    1: Bring a radio, they broadcast what going on , on time. The Simo-cast is delayed and can get you(Me) confused.
    2: Bring good binoculars, the cars at the fast end are a long ways from the spectators, for safety!
    3: It’s not nearly as hot as everyone said, maybe I just went on a good year. I was actually fairly comfortable, at least for a boy from Oklahoma.
    4: It is big! We used our side by side a lot!
    5: You need a Utah sticker for your ATV, they sell them a various places in Utah and you do not need proof of ownership. Just VIN , description, and $30!
    6: You need a large brim hat!
    7: The racers at Bonneville are human, too! By that I mean not all the cars ran perfect! Some popped and cracked and barely made it 500 ft. But most ran great!
    8: See you guys there next year!

Bones

28. So Cal Greg

So Cal Greg

This was my first year. I brought my Dad, Brother, and his son. It was an amazing trip. First standing on the salt I had that, "I'm actually here." moment. Free camping. Everyone in every pit area was super friendly and wanted to show off their car to you. I cannot believe I waited so long to go. If you have never gone before, stop making excuses and go. I am planning to go from now on and hopefully arrive in something other than a rental car.

chryslerfan55, jim snow and RMR&C like this.
  29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Never been. Was offered a free ride to and back plus I could drive the car. FCGALT. No interest.

30. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Have someone check your pulse.

das858, RidgeRunner, RMR&C and 4 others like this.