Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy Horn button hardware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by senginc, Aug 12, 2020.

1. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe.
    Just bought this and it has an aftermarket steering wheel on a tilt column.
    The original steering wheel is in very nice condition so I would like to put it back on.
    The horn center does not snap on tight. I think something is missing. It has a Horn Pivot Ring (Plastic) and sort of a snap ring, below that is the spring piece of metal that contacts the brass/ copper horn contact. What is missing? 20200812_170530.jpg 20200812_170540.jpg

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Should be a wire circlip around the base of the cap. There's a groove in the wheel where it snaps in. If the wire is there, maybe the person that painted the wheel filled in the groove. That's a '49 horn ring ..

3. lowrd

lowrd

Check with Chevs of the 40's. Seem seeing a small parts kit for your application.

4. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

I found several indentations (grooves) in the inside but not all the way around. Should the groove go all the way around ? Other wise seems it would need to be an odd shaped retainer wire/clip.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

I have the first item complete.
    When I follow the link on the second part it does not show that part available, is that what holds the center cap in place ?
    The 3rd pic does not show using the second part in the illustration.