Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purchasing Gasser need opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garrett Franklin, Aug 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Should have kept the '55.

lothiandon1940 and Chicster like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't know, had a 55 and had a 62 Nova. Kinda miss the Nova more.

loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  3. Wonder how that 409 runs. Overdriven
    6-71, 600 cfm vacuum secondaries.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Mmm, relatively nice.
    How much "Gasser" do you want ? A true 60's Gasser or a 2021, sorta-of-a Gasser ? This is a sorta-of-a Gasser. Nice, but...

I agree with the rest, should be about 1/2 or maybe 2/3 the 45K asking price tag.
    I'd bet that the 45K is about what the guy has in it, with his own money. That's not how things work when you sell..!

While I like the 409 deal, the coolest part of the whole car is the shifter..!
    Speaking of that, why a Chrysler drive train ?

Mike

5. Does it fit any rules like SEGA? If I wasn't going to race it.. I wouldn't be buying it.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe he started with a HEMI. :confused:

loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  7. I guess people just like the word 'gasser.'
    It's not really, but the tide of common usage beats down the truth again.:(

Looks well done in the scheme of things. As long as they aren't trailer springs in front.

(BTW, I don't have, but need to come up with an alternative name for these creations.)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. They used to be called street freaks.... This one isn't jacked up quite high enough, but that's all that's lacking.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Pseudo gasser maybe? Really clean, well built, uh...Chevy II! If it's what floats your canoe, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer one.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. .......or Phantom Gasser. We seem to use that term for anything that wants to appear to be something that it's really not.o_O

loudbang, slowmotion and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Actually it fits the modern definition of "gasser" just fine. It's us few purists that need to find a new term for what we know are real gas class race cars. And this ain't one of them.

12. [QUOTE="Mike VV, post: 13704083, member: 125700")

While I like the 409 deal, the coolest part of the whole car is the shifter..!
    Speaking of that, why a Chrysler drive train ?

Mike
    [/QUOTE]
    It was actually common to see from the late 60s on. Pretty strong trans.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sell him yours Jim, you haven't built anything new in over two weeks!

14. greybeard360

greybeard360

Mecum key tag hanging on ignition switch. I bet someone bought it for cheap and is trying to make big bucks on it or the owner tried selling it for a high reserve and it didn't sell.

loudbang, X38 and Tman like this.
  15. Wow. Looks great. Very clean.

why Chrysler running gear ?

These cars are unibody and have a tendency to twist at the doors. I would have liked to see ( maybe i missed it) subframe connectors to stiffen the chassis.

had one of these cars with a 302, 4 spd, a 5:38 gear pulling 8” Wide 30” tall goodyears. It would lift and carry the wheels through 3rd and twist to the right. Wish it had those subframe connectors. If the 302 would do that i can only imagine the ride you’ll get with the 409 torque.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was actually common to see from the late 60s on. Pretty strong trans.[/QUOTE]
    The only thing Mopar is the trans and rear springs. Using a Torqueflight behind a Chevy, was fairly common, in the 60's, B&M sold an adapter for that purpose. Torqueflights replaced the B&M Hydro, in many Gas class competitors, and the aluminum Powerglide, hadn't come into vogue.

17. squirrel

squirrel

looks to me like it has a hefty square tube on each side, connecting the front of the rear spring hanger, to the transmission crossmember, and going further forward.

18. I think S/FX is more fitting of this build then gasser. Other then the slightly offensive front wheels, I like it. I know the Torqueflite swap wasn't uncommon, but the Mopar superstock springs with the front segment clamped up and a pinion snubber? At least it is a proven setup that does work. I bet it rides better then a ladder bar set up if with the snubber adjusted up a bit.

loudbang likes this.
  19. msgt tank

msgt tank

the hamb is basically for the guys with little to no money putting just enough parts together to make the rear wheels spin. most of the hamb cars have been built from scratch, with swap meet parts,garage sale parts, parts pulled out of a field and kind donations. the expensive cars are for the guys sitting on folding chairs at the car show unable to answer a single question about the car because all they did was write a big, fat check. trailer a wreck home, open the tool box, turn on the welder and radio, buy some beer, and build a car from scratch. you'll feel better about yourself and won't have to ask a bunch of poor people if it's okay to spend 45,000 bucks on a goofy built car.

20. To start.... Offer $36k

bobss396 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Want to elaborate some? I don't get a lot of the posts. People I don't recognize pop up and have a negative or positive comment, maybe they do or don't know what they are talking about.o_O The car must be an ancient build or is Bill Thomas still around? [no, he closed shop in 1970] My memory may not be that great but I followed the " Gasser Wars " and in '68 I started building my car to what I remembered/magazines and a rule book [68 or 69 maybe] . Guess what; most of the top runners didn't follow the rules.;) A day late and dollar short the class ended soon but I kept going with/to what I wanted. Glad I did. Is the op car in point worth 45k, well he's got some coin cause he sold his '55..:D

loudbang and cavman like this.
  22. Just looked again. Yup, i missed them.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

They're pretty well hidden, looks like good job of installing them.

24. If you mean hidden under red paint then yes. They just blend in so nice.

25. Says the guy that has been here for 2 years. You would be amazed how many folks here would fall into the "wealthy" category, yet they are as cool and humble, sometimes more, than the backyard DIY guy.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nice car if you’re into that style build. I’d rather have a stockish ifs front end, with a rake to the front. Wouldn’t have to look like a rabbit with it’s ass in the air, but a noticeable forward rake. Probably drive a lot better, too. Jacked up straight axle front ends were good for what they were for, a 1/4 mile at a time. Don’t think I’d want to wrestle with that on a curvy two lane country road.

I don’t see $45 k there myself. Probably cost that to build, but you almost never get back what you spend.

27. squirrel

squirrel

you don't know how much fun you're missing out on!

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think it has all gottn" lost. I can't explain it and it will never be back.

427 sleeper likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

The car looks like it was built for show as much for the go factor, the under side of it looks so nice and detailed, some have say you could build it for that much money, others say you couldn't...thing is if you have the money to spend on it and you buy it, seems you could be driving it the next day.

Compare that to finding a similar car, and start building it...I kinda think it'll be a few years before you get to enjoy it.

As far as price? Does it check all the boxes for you?

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If that endeavor is for your own peace of mind, great, go for it.
    But.....the whole "gasser" thing in its current iteration has strayed so painfully off course I doubt it will matter not too far down the road anyway as the old reins have been yanked.