Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by statesblue, Aug 12, 2020.

1. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I can do a lot of things but I have to admit wiring is a weak point.
    When I wired my roadster I got help from a few guys that were a little better at it than me.
    The motor is a 63 283 and I was trying to build in some anti theft and safety precautions so I decided to add a Ford starter solenoid in the trunk.
    took a little to figure it out but its working.
    Recently decided to change over from a stick to an automatic (Knee problems) which brings me to my wiring problem.
    How do I hook up the neutral safety switch? Tried splitting the purple wire from the back of the ignition but when I'm in any of the drive gears, R-DR-2-1, My gauges go dead. What in the Sam Hill is going on? Then I realized how I wired it and I'm guessing it changes things.
    Wondering if any of you fine Gents can steer me in the right direction.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sure don't want to burn the car down.

2. BJR

BJR

It goes in the line from the key start position to the solenoid. So find the only lug on the ignition switch that is only hot when the key is in the start position and cut that wire and connect each side of it to the neutral safety switch.

firstinsteele and rockable like this.
  3. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Holy Crap, can it be that simple..........haha

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, as he said it goes in the wire that goes from the start pole on the switch to the S pole on the solenoid.

5. So the wiring is resolved, how will you mount the switch so it completes the circuit only when the car is in Park or Neutral? Just wondering.

Phil

6. Callmaker

Callmaker

Instead of going straight to the solenoid from the ign switch, go thru the neutral switch then to the solenoid...