Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your regular car that had terrible blow by / humor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Aug 10, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

A little humor Most of us car nuts when we were young ,foolish with little money ,our 1st cars were usually wore out before we got them.Having your own a car and being independent ,who cared if it had a little blow by. As we drove along puffs of smoke came out the draft tube .When you pulled the cap off with the motor running fumes from the blow by were very evident.
    How many of you experienced this ? When you had a girl out and were trying to impressed her with your car there was a issue that sometimes killed the mode. To get out of our little town in Winona ,Mn you had to drive up a long steep hill. Well it was at this time pulling the hill in high gear,pulling the engine down the car filled up with oil fumes and you both could n't breath, or maybe even got sick. End result she would never go out with you ever again. Any memories ?? Gene in Mn

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Huh? What's this you speak of?

Back when I was young, single and had shiny paint, I kept one of these clipped to the kick panel. Think I'll go buy one for old time sake, if they still sell them. Sprig Spice.

spice.JPG

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had a 62 corvair the rings were so bad the cops made me quit driving it. It was like a mesquito fogger. More STP than oil in it. Ran great just smoked a tad. Four miles to the quart.

4. When I was in high school I was looking for a decent cheap car. I ended up buying a '58 Anglia, FH 4, three on the floor. Car looked and ran fairly well, but was no powerhouse. So I would go to the local drags regularly (Puyallup) on grudge night, so one night I decided to run it. Got a lot of laughs, but with a flag start I didn't win any rounds, even with a huge head start. So I beat the crap out of it... to get 22 second ETs.

Well, it started using oil within a day or two. Then more oil. Then even more oil. Within a few weeks it got to the point that a trip from Puyallup to Tacoma (15 miles) was a two-quart trip, one way (check the gas, fill the oil...LOL). Obviously, power was way down too, so it took a lot of throttle to get it moving. The capper was when I got a ticket for 'obstructing an intersection' with the cloud of smoke it would lay down. You literally couldn't see across it after I went though until it cleared. The cop couldn't think of any other charge, this was in the really early EPA days. He originally thought I was on fire... LOL.

Upon tear-down, I found one piston with intact rings, two with the top ring gone, and the last only had the remains of the oil ring, with all pistons looking 'chewed'. It's amazing it even ran...

5. Yes, been there done that. had one with blowby so bad I ran gear oil in the crankcase. Stupid kid.

wicarnut, loudbang and 56don like this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I bought a 55 Bel-Air with a 57 283 in it for $50 one time (1968) that we pulled home because it didn't have a battery. The kid said it ran good but the clutch slipped a little. Got it home and stuck a battery in it and it did run, but not so good. That sucker smoked from places I didn't even know it was possible to smoke from. The neighbor lady yelled and ask if she should call the fire dept. The best thing about the whole car was it had a almost new Hurst 3 speed floor stick but the trans was junk. I drove it to school and got the he-haw so bad that I took the Hurst out and stuck a used pos in it and sold it to a guy dumber than me that was going to put a 327 and 4 speed in it(never happened) When he drove it home his dad made him junk it after he got tired of his neighbors giving him hell about the smoke and oil slicks ever where he parked it.

hfh and loudbang like this.
  7. Yeah, had a 56 Ford pickup truck. 6 cylinder. Like chopped51, I ran gear oil in it. Even that used up quickly.

wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to have to say that If it had had a road draft tube my 48 would have won that contest hands down in 1998 when I did my road trip to Bonneville and Pleasanton in a Big triangle drive. Pull into a gas station, stick the gas nozzle in the filler neck and grab a quart of oil and put it in before I checked the oil. That engine had way over 200K on it and had never had the head off.

wicarnut, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. vinfab

vinfab

Many years ago, I, like all my friends, was young and dumb and mostly broke. I had a 56 Chevy Delray that I was trying to get a fresh 327 built for, but I still needed to be able drive the car. Over the course of one summer, I think I had 5 or 6 different 265 or 283's in the car. These were give away engines I got from friends and were junk when they took them out.

The record for lasting the least amount of time was 4 days. Every time I switched a motor all my better parts went on . Appliance headers, Edelbrock C4B, 780 Holley, a Isky 310/510 cam and an 8 quart oil pan. This motor was so bad that it drained the pan dry in less than 2 days, and I had never left the city limits.

I worked at a Phillips 66, so I had access to cheap bulk oil and a gasket set was 8 bucks. But the station I worked at did not have an engine hoist. So every time I swapped engines, the front clip came off and then we would use a 4x4, chain and the in ground hoist to lift the motor in and out. If all the hours I spent swapping motors had just been used to work extra shifts at the station, I could have finished the 327 months earlier.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    clem, Hnstray, hfh and 3 others like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Had a off topic 4 banger vehicle that would accumulate oil in the breather hose to air filter. When the level got to the point that it created an air block (think sink p-trap) it would suck the oil into air cleaner (interior side of element) directly into carb and James Bond the hell out of people behind me.

hotcoupe and loudbang like this.
  11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

had a 351M in my pickup. Around town it was great, but on the highway once it warmed up the front seal around the balancer would open up and it puked oil. In a 4 hour drive I "changed the oil" on the fly. Pulled it out and put a 302 in. Swapped in some junk yard gt40p heads. One of those was warped. Again, fine around town, but once it got good and warm the warp would open and you could watch oil come out between the head and block as it ran. Check the gas, fill the oil.

Swapped it out for a new rebuild, now I dont know what to do, oil stays full!

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  12. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

Back in the 60's I bought a hundred dollar 57 chevy to use while I was going thru the motor in my 63 split window. This was an amazingly clean and relatively rust free car. It was that metallic pink color with a white roof, factory tinted glass and a black and silver interior. This car came with an oil guzzling 6 cylinder motor backed by a powerglide. I couldn't keep up with the oil consumption and smoke, so I took it to my dad's best friends gas station for an oil change. I dumped what oil that was in it and filled the crankcase with five quarts of 90 wt gear oil and two cans of STP. This was the quietest stovebolt in the world. needed a jump every cold morning and had the stinkiest blowby you ever smelled. None of my friends would ride with me, and I had to use my dads car to take my girlfriend out on Saturday night By the way, I didn't need any deodorant, as everything I owned smelled like gear oil. True story Rich

13. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Bought a 60 El Camino with a worn out 235. Smoked like a locomotive. Got pulled over by a motorcycle cop one day
    he was wiping the oil off his sunglasses when got to my window his comment was "think you are burning a little oil there?" :):D

Truck64, 56don and loudbang like this.
  14. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

It is amazing how many miles we can put on cars today. My old stinky, smokey 57 was a nicely cared for family car that I bought from a friend. Just turned 100 thou. My 04 f 250 just had a 300,000mi service before my next trip from Florida to North Dakota 2200 mi one way. Rich

loudbang likes this.
  15. me and another guy in high school both had early 50's chevys.....about once a week we go out on old military road in back of the high school and race.... about a mile I guess, wide open wheel to wheel action ....two old six-bangers.....fer braggin' rights for the week, so to speak. After much revvin' of engines we'd be off.......clouds of smoke and dust in the air. At the end of the run, loosely defined by an agreed upon tree or pile of dirt or some such similar landmark we'd shutdown, pull over and hoot and whoop over possibly the greatest drag race nobody was ever gonna see or did. Then we would dump in about three quarts of oil apiece and head for school......ahhhhh blow by.......best of times

woodsnwater, loudbang and Saxman like this.
  16. Wrench97

Wrench97

I had a 66 olds cutlass it used so much oil I use to save the oil I drained out of customers cars to put in it.
    I took it to the South Jersey shore one week, I took 3 gallon with me and ran out before I got home..................

17. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

I bought a 49 Studebaker from a school teacher gal for 23 dollars. We used it to go surfing, put gas in it and thats it !
    Going over the summit it overheated and seized up. We waited and hour or so filled it with water and used oil from the service station. Bump started it and drove back to Oakland. A CHP stopped us on 80 in Hayward and said he thought it " was steamed powered from the amount of smoke " He let us go when we told him "we were headed for Oakland and couldn't shut off the car " That wouldn't happen today Im sure

hfh, mitch 36, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  18. blazedogs

blazedogs

My First car/oil burner was a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook with a flat head 6 cyl,3 spd on the column I thought I was the coolest guy in town.. I nosed & decked it,took the front ugly grill out, put the shifter on the floor , put full length lake pipes on,I was a big shot... I bet you never heard of this ?It had so much blow by the fumes coming out the filler tube where you put the oil I ran a flex tube from the tube down under the car ,didn,t help The oil fumes were so bad one couldn,t see themselves in the car. I actually wished I had that car back.It was the ugliest car,was a 4dr , had terrible lines & was a dog but they( were good times )The girl that I was dating when I had it ( I married) .Hard to imagine. That was 54 yrs ago & still married to her Gene

X-cpe, hfh, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. I used to have a 6 cyl '64 Holden (GM), which used to smoke like Krakatoa. At the lights one day, with what seemed a campfire under my car from the amount of smoke, a motorbike cop pulls up behind me, and then pulls me over. "yes officer, I just realised how much it was smoking! I had it serviced yesterday, and they said the apprentice mechanic put in 2 stroke instead of motor oil, and they are going to fix it today." It was the best story I could come up with in 30 seconds. The cop defected my car, I went home, dumped out the 2nd hand diesel oil which came from my dad's truck, put in fresh, extra thick oil, drove to the police station, left the car parked out the front for a while to cool down, then the cop came out, I started it, (no smoke now), and he gave me the thumbs up!

Hnstray, hfh, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  20. hudson48

hudson48

Not so much blowby but in my 32 sedan with sidevalve(no hood sides) there was a hole in a piston that would build up crankcase pressure and then at some point let go. One night it did that and I saw the dipstick fly out and across the road never to be found again.

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  21. [​IMG]
    This stuff really worked. Covers odors, use as a fuel additive, drives women crazy.
    You are welcome.

22. My son had a 1966 Malibu wagon with a 6. I drove it a few times and at a stop light you had to roll down the window because the blow-by would come up the steering column and come out under the steering wheel and fill up the interior with smoke

hfh, loudbang and seb fontana like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I had a motorcycle that smoked alot, old Ducati Scrambler, '65. I could follow my own smoke trail in the woods! Didn't have blow by that I could tell and really didn't use that much oil.

loudbang likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had a VW dune buggy, the rings were so worn out it spit pure black oil out of the teepee header. Anybody behind you got a windshield full of oil spots.

Had a Cummins in a Pete cabover that had a constant blow by out the draft tube. I got smart, or so I thought, I hooked a hose from the draft tube to the air cleaner housing. Got rid of the blow by, but also sucked about half the oil out of the pan!

loudbang likes this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

Had a winter car at 17 as my real car had been built up to the point I couldnt drive it in winter.

Blew the head gasket about Feb and I figured it was only a few months until the salt was off the road.

Radiator and crankcase were both chocolate milkskake, and the thing barreled steam anytine it was running. I knew the jiffy lube guys and theyd let me pull gallon jugs from the antifreeze / oil change recycle drums to keep it going.

Once spring hit i sold a few parts off it, started it up and threw a brick on the pedal. The damn thing ran full throttle until the manifolds were glowing dull red and it ran out of gas. Never did blow up. Had it hauled off.

SS327, Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Back in the day bought quart cans of reclaimed motor oil and reboosted batteries at the grocery store. Pep Boys for quart can of "Motor Honey". Had to leave motor running while pouring it into motor. Could not pour too fast or would bog down motor. All of this for a '56 Ford with T-bird 312. My Dad paid junk guy $10 to tow away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hfh and loudbang like this.
  27. Years ago my buddy had a H.A.M.B. friendly Jeep with a Buick V-6. It had low oil pressure (none) so he filled it up with Motor Honey. Instant 60 psi, he called it “A quart of oil pump”. I had an old C-20 with a 250. It used so much oil that I put school bus drain oil in it. When the lifters started clattering, I’d stop and fill her up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. ken bogren

ken bogren

I just tell people it'll stop when I park and shut it off.

Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.
  29. jaracer

jaracer

Old Y block Ford were really bad. You would come up to a stop sign and a cloud would blow in front of the car. Of course they were worn out because that's what young guys could afford.

loudbang likes this.
  30. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Had a buddy in high school that blew so much oil smoke that when we were out looking for him Around our small town you just had to follow the smoke trail until you found him. He carried bulk oil in mason jars so he could fill it up while out driving around.

Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.