Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Was there a Race car in the 30´s using Lincoln V12?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mathis25, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Hi out there.

I have recently finished my Supercharged Lincoln V12 race car. I try to get the race care eligible for Historical racing, but need proof that there has been a prewar race car using LZ V12 engine. I know it's not the best engine for racing, but someone might tried in the end of 30´s and 40´s to race with the engine. Any info and help is very much appreciated. - Glenn Billqvist

Skärmavbild 2020-07-14 kl. 21.13.37.png IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0111.jpg

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't know if they were ever raced, but Allard put 3 sports cars together in the late 40's with Lincoln V12's.

[​IMG]

You may have a tough task ahead of you. The Lincoln V12 was notoriously under powered for it's size and weight, given the siamesed intake ports.

wicarnut, loudbang, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  3. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot for your swift reply and this info regards to Allard could be useful-no doubt. I am aware of the limitations of the LZ V12, but with the Supercharger it is quite OK power.

wicarnut, 48fordnut, loudbang and 2 others like this.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The best way to get around bad port design has always been forced induction. Good luck on your search and having fun with that beautiful car.

porknbeaner, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. Neat car! More pics please. Is the build documented somewhere?

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know any with the Lincoln V12 but certainly there were hundreds with Ford V8s including some that competed in the Indianapolis 500. You certainly have a beautiful car there. Worst case you could change to a Ford flathead and get practically the same power out of it.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they keep you from racing that car for any reason, it will be a crime.:mad:

8. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot and I will enjoy my car in various race even with Historical license :)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thank you I am pleased to hear that :) Well I have done Historical for +20 years and it's tough to get them approved if not technically and historical correct. I keep trying anyhow.

wicarnut, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

I am aware of Flathead V8 was widley used in racing in the past, but I wanted to try the V12 mostly due to cool factor :- ) otherwise you´re right the V8 has much better performance.

Deuces, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot! I am pleased to hear that :) Here is a documented history of building the S-12. It is quite long and no music, but anyhow :)

wicarnut and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

wicarnut, 48fordnut, j hansen and 4 others like this.
  13. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

14. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Scroll through these links...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/march-1952/14/evolution-of-the-allard
    http://www.allardregister.org/blog/category/MAGAZINES

"Today's cover is from the August, 1938 issue of Motor Sport...and it's probably the oldest magazine featuring an Allard on the cover. The cover caption reads, “The 3-hour sports car race…K. Hutchinson (Allard Special) takes the last curve leading to the finishing straight on the Campbell Circuit.” The Campbell Circuit at Brooklands was first raced in 1937, but the land was soon pressed into war service in 1939. The Lincoln V-12 powered ELX 50 was built for Ken Hutchinson. According to Tom Lush’s book, Hutchinson and Sydney co-drove the car ran “faultlessly” except for a broken fan belt that was fixed within five minutes. The team finished 9th overall, completing 74 laps at an average speed of 56.5 mph. Not bad for the Allards first real road race."

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

According to the Allard Wikipedia page: Further Allards were soon built to order. Allard's brother, Leslie, was a customer, while racer Ken Hutchinson purchased a 4.4-litre (270 cu in) Lincoln-Zephyr V12-powered version.[2] It led to the pair forming a team, dubbed Tail Waggers, to race the car, which proved quite successful, including setting a new record at the Prescott hillclimb.[2]

Maybe check out some of those sources cited and you should be good to go?

16. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Tons of thanks! This is good news and reading. I am pleased that you put the effort to find the links for me :)

Deuces, loudbang, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  17. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

18. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot for the information and I should have a good start towards an eligible race car in the end :)

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, there is something to be said for enforcing the rules for historical racing. I quit "vintage" dirt track racing here about 10 years ago when I ended up running against 10 year old modifieds that someone had bolted a '30's body on to run against my original 1965 car.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    48fordnut, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

OMG...That's such a cool car.

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

I agree! I experience the same in my +20 yr in Prewar racing. Some folks modified old MG TC with modern tuning stuff and they was faster than Bugatti's. In the 30´s the MG´s was note even close to beat a Bugatti.

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot :) I am pleased you like the car (y)

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Mathis, you have built a beautiful racecar!!!
    Well planned, and executed build. Good luck sir

Hnstray likes this.
  25. You guys in Sweden defintely build some amazing cars... incredible workmanship and vision :)

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot Wheeldog. I really appreciate your feedback and you like the car :) Thank you.

27. Mathis25

Mathis25
    from Sweden

I am pleased to hear that, but most of my inspirations comes from the state and most of the part I use is in my projects are old US parts. Thanks (y)

28. BJR

BJR

For a race car, that has one of the coolest bodywork designs ever. The workmanship is top notch.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Thanks for the video. That was great!