Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Wedding day car / driver - NY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TAFreeman3, Aug 9, 2020.

1. TAFreeman3

TAFreeman3

My fiancé and I have been planning our wedding over the past year, and lots have changed. Our life is a little crazy, not to mention everything else going on in the world, so after changing the date twice (damn Covid) we settled on getting married on Thursday, sept 3rd in NY/NYC area.

Long story short -
    Fiance and I were living in Portland and planned on getting married out there this past May in Oregon.
    Work moved us to Hawaii for the year (moved here this past Feb)
    Covid hit - so we moved the May wedding date back to Oct 2020. (thinking things would calm down)
    We were forced to move back again to Oct 2021 (keeping it in Oregon).

We don't want to wait that long, so we finally said F-it and we are flying to NY to get married (where my family is from).

Back in Portland, I was in the beginning of a build on my 1930 Plymouth 30U Sedan. My goal was to have my car available for the wedding, but that’s not going to happen.

What I’m looking for, is someone who might be interested in picking her up at her hotel, dropping her off at the location, and then giving us a ride around for 20-30 minutes after the ceremony. (For hire). Preferably late 20’s / early 30’s ride. I’ve reached out to a few movie car companies and haven’t heard anything back yet. Figured I’d give it a try in here to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After reading that it seems that you need someone with a suitable hot rod to pick her up and deliver her to the wedding venue in the NYC area on Sept 3 if I read it correct.

It might help if you are more exact on where the hotel is and where the wedding is going to be. That might give someone who is close a better idea if it is viable to offer to do it and not worry about offering and then figure out that it is not logistically doable.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Good luck finding someone willing to rent out their classic car in a lawless city like New York. You couldn't pay me enough to take one of my cars into NYC.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Really "lawless". Rodders live and drive their cars in the 5 boroughs all the time and the person wasn't looking to rent a car but to hire someone to drive her to the wedding.

Pat

Movinman, blowby and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Well, let's see what he's calling NY/NYC, it's a big area. Yes with the present mayor they have in NYC it's about as bad as it can get, but I drive thru it frequently . You gotta know what areas to avoid.

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This. You need to be much more specific for people to decide if they are up for it.

7. I'm sure there must be services right there in NYC that do that kind of thing. It might wind up being a vintage Rolls Royce, but 90% of the attendees won't know the difference.

jim snow likes this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hire? Help a hamber out, no doubt there would be some good food involved. If I had a suitable car and lived nearby I’d do it just to drive around with for a good reason

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  9. TAFreeman3

TAFreeman3

Thursday, 3 Sept
    Pick up at 1230 at 205 E 45St (Hotel)
    Drive to Fort Tyron (upper west side - 9 miles)
    Ceremony 20 min
    Pictures there (maybe with the car as well) 30 min
    Drive back to hotel.

10. Best of luck to you two !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Hellfish

Hellfish

"lawless" coming from someone in KY. Stereotypes work both ways. :D

HotRodEd lives on Long Island, I think. He may not have anything that fits your requirements, but he probably knows someone who might be able to help you out.

blowby and 1934coupe like this.
  12. Living in Hawaii must be cool. Always wanted to go.

Good luck with the wedding, (every single one is a cluster $&&@, believe me, no matter what you do), make sure the marriage is awesome then you’ll be golden.

Cool car in your avatar

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I don't want to dampen your plan's, but on a Thursday at 12:30 in mid-town NYC? Not many people want to do it in a modern car. I know the traffic is a lot less because of the Corona Virus, but mid-town is still one big traffic jamb in the middle of the day.

14. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Most street rod insurance policies don't cover such paid use. I was told I needed "livery" insurance - expensive.

15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Frank, correct you are. One of the members of the local car club mentioned to his insurance agent that he uses his Model A for weddings and had his policy cancelled.

16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Congrats! Sounds like a keeper considering she would rather go in a hot rod over the Horse drawn Cinderella carriage.

NY isn’t bad as they say it is, but yeah Manhattan traffic!!

17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'd do it for free if I was a local...

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  18. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Leave a "TIP" for doing you a favor, don't pay to have them drive or rent.

Tim and 1934coupe like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Your name is Freeman, and you're in Hawaii? And you want to go to New York and get married? She must be very special. :) Just kidding.

If you just want a 20-30s car, not necessarily a hot rod, make sure and hit up the antique car organizations, Antique Auto Club of America, something like that.

TAFreeman3 likes this.
  20. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Keep an eye on travel restrictions into and out of States here in the East that are constantly changing in response to the changing health concerns. Then again maybe be a good reason to schedule a 2 week honeymoon in one location without distractions :D

All the best for many years of happiness together !

21. TAFreeman3

TAFreeman3

Thank you everyone for the advice and well wishes.
    As RidgeRunner mentioned, travel restrictions. Turns out, today, NY put Hawaii on the list of states with a travel restriction. Anyone traveling fro HI yo NY now requires a 14day quarantine when visiting.
    Looks like things plans are changing one again haha

clunker likes this.
  22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dude, good luck!
    Less about the ceremony or the ride you get there in.
    Finding a woman worth marrying, and getting the deed done. Keep her happy and keep her around.
    Ive been looking for 41 years with no luck. I'll probably end up alone in a big garage full of cars (yeah, not complaining, but I'd give a lot to share it with someone)

Dont let the rona ruin it. Elope.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.