Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a 90 degree elbow brake fitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Mojo

Mojo

I'm changing my 64 Riviera to a dual master cylinder. I bought a 67 Buick dual MC, and 65 Chevy distribution (junction) block. I need to find a 90 degree elbow fitting that fits the block and the brake line. It's the only way I can get the passenger side brake line to clear the steering box. junction block -1.jpg

The brake line size is 3/16, and the fitting is 3/8 -24. The port I need to thread into on the block is also 3/8 -24. I can't find one that has that threading. The only thing I can find is a elbow with the correct female 3/8 -24 inverted hole, but the male threads are 1/8 NPT (pictured). It will not fit.

Has anyone seen a fitting like that, with 3/8 -24 on the male section too? I'm assuming it needs to be flared to fit the block, correct?

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking something like a banjo fitting or how does the one you are thinking about know which way to turn when it bottoms out and tightens up?
    Just a thought and to answer your question... I don't know...
    That said, I've been known to turn down the fitting and silver braze it together... but I'm an old broke down Journeyman refrigeration fitter and might not admit to doing that publicly.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You need one of these
    Earl's 977503 Steel 3/8" -24 Single Hole Banjo Bolt.
    and a 3/8" banjo fitting
    Inline Tube

4. Mojo

Mojo

I saw banjo fittings, and it never occurred to me... just thought for calipers. I've found a female banjo fitting that will work. Thanks gentlemen!

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Banjos are -3AN (37), are you using DOT (45) flares, hard line or flexline? I had similar issue and sourced a DOT (45) banjo locally as DOT approved are mandatory here, no AN fitting permitted on brake lines.
    upload_2020-8-14_21-42-43.png

6. Mojo

Mojo

I noticed that almost everything is AN. I'm using stainless steel lines, with double 45 degree flare. Turns out I couldn't find a female banjo with an inverted end that would match a 3/8 brake line fitting. That, and I drilled the wrong location for the 65 chevy block so i'm giving up on it. I decided to go back to the 64 buick block, plug the rear line port. On the rear line, getting an adapter to go from 7/16 to 3/8 fittings. Wanted an elbow, but those don't seem to exist either.