Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ANYONE STILL USING TUBE FRONT AXLES?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 10, 2020.

1. I have used the dropped Superbell tube axles in the past but now I prefer the I beam dropped axles, preferably the forged original or the old Chassis Engineering beams.

I know the tube axles do not flex and that was the main reason to use a 4 bar with that particular axle.

Anyone still using the tube axles? HRP

OLSKOOL57 and dana barlow like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found an old M.A.S. tube axle at a swap meet about 25 years ago. It had never been used and the price was $10, so I couldn't pass it up. It was the start of my "Tub" project that is almost at "roller" status.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some one should reproduce the '37 Ford tube axle.

4. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used 4 MAS dropped tube axles on Mopar and Chevy semi elliptic spring axle front ends and am a happy guy.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4” dropped tube with semi-elliptical under our 40 Chevrolet. Ones been there since 1962.

7. mountainman2

mountainman2

OLSKOOL57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Have one under this since the mid 90's.
    20190814_201121.jpg

10. I have one of the old welded Super Bell axles that I bought in 1985; at the time it was pretty much the only option available to me. And I’m not going to change it now. I guess it’s part of the history now. 1964 Ford Econoline van spindles too.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

Still have a Super Bell under my Fordor, no reason to get rid of it. The four bar and Mustang box are staying too even if they are not “trendy”.
    Too street roddy? Same fun and no additional expense.

Lil'Alb, HOTRODPRIMER and Stllrng. like this.
  12. D393B277-557C-43D4-B3EF-6A4C413EB817.jpeg

Lil'Alb, ss34coupe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. my sentiments exactly

Lil'Alb and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Among the "surplus parts" I have acquired for my build is a nice set of "hairpins". I know about the tube axles' resistance to twisting, so I got a set of these "adjustable" spring perches from Speedway to compensate for that fact.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Forg...e&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid
    Perhaps this will give me enough points of limited movement to allow me to get away with it. I have seen quite a few posts on here where folks have run a tube axle with hairpins or split wishbones for years with no problems.

I'll watch it closely, and if I see any signs of fatigue, I'll probably have to go with a set of four-bars, as much as I don't like their looks. I expect to get away with it for two reasons; first, the smooth surfaces that these cars experience for the overwhelming portion of there lives, and second, the more limited suspension movement experienced in light cars like this because of the unfavorable sprung/unsprung weight ratio. When I do have one of those rare instances where I encounter the odd bump or two, I expect to pay for it with a jolt to my tuchus rather than stress on the suspension.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  15. Still have S.S. 4-bar from the Deuce Factory and a 4" drop Magnum in the box . That is what is going under my 32 roadster.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

I saw this jalopnik article about a cheap Chinese electric car and it had a tube axle. Found a source for one on Alibaba. Dirt cheap. Thought that this was just the ticket for a small axle for the Austin until I got a quote on the shipping costs. Onto plan B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I still have one that I will eventually use. It is one of my dad's old axles from the '60s and never been run. I will probably use hairpins instead of a 4 bar. They work well with a tub axle. If I had room for unsplit bones I would run that setup, it worked on Henry's tube axle well enough.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m on he fence about using a Mopar wavy tube axle under my pre 40`s build. A little more against it for explaining to people about how the were factory in 35.

HOTRODPRIMER and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. I have learned a simple truth and that is not to allow myself to be influenced by fools. Basically I do what I do and let the chips fall where they may.

20. yep. been making my own since the early 70's. still got my homemade jig for spindle inclination laying around somewhere.

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Independent front suspension was factory in 34 on Plymouths. I`m totally not using that !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

1 (4).jpg
    Why not? It would be traditional. Ugly but traditional.

HOTRODPRIMER and Baumi like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Back around '78, I asked Jim Ewing about making a repop V8 60 tube axle. He said that as much trouble he had getting to production on his Super Bell, there was no way he'd make a 'competitive product' to his own Super Bell. (then, with a grin he said "Besides, it'd knock the bottom out of the value of the gennies!"
    I recall when he started retro-ing his Super Bell tubes with the added pins.

I'd better hurry up and build, I'm down to 3 V8 60 tube axles! (not for sale)

Just Gary, HOTRODPRIMER and -Brent- like this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. I had a Superbell 4" dropped axle under my old black mordor. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57 and Lil'Alb like this.
  26. There was also a tube under the red 5 window. HRP

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57 and Just Gary like this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, the Plymouth 'wiggly' tubes. (got a couple of those, too; Did anyone notice the one in Doane Spencer's '32 in the old pic where he was lined up with the bike?)
    Something else about those MoPar tube axles: There was a Chrysler tube axle, also wavy; BUT, the Chrysler didn't project forward in the middle, it projected DOWNward, reducing center 'scrub' clearance by a couple of inches.
    One of the little HOP UP annuals has a 'T' lakester on the cover with this axle.
    There was a Turlock seller that had axles...he had a Chrysler tube, I looked at it carefully. NOT the same 'thinwall' as the Plymouth, this Chrysler one was heavy. (thicker wall tube, bigger car: width was the same, there was also a Plymouth axle I compared it to. The grumpy seller wanted $200, fair price...but I had Ford V8 60s at the time)
    There was also a 5" Super Bell, not many seen...(saw a couple at Goodguise in Pleasanton, 'Goldchain' types)
    I think there's a 5-1/2" (!) Magnum, also. At least, there was...Richard Ruth had one in his shop. We had a confab about that one. (you know...1.35 X 15" Michelins, watch out for manhole covers...)

dumprat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. On another note, my roadster was involved in a accident on the way to Good-guys in Columbus a decade ago and the car had a 4" dropped SuperBell axle at the time. the end of the axle on the passenger side was severely bent but didn't break.

The solution was to leave the roadster at a shop and pick it up on the return trip, not a single vendor had a 4" tube axle with them at the shop , in fact the only axle we found was the new Super Bell dropped aluminum axle, I never gave it a second thought until a buddy just kicked the tire and I saw the axle flex just with a slight bump, that bothered me until the day I sold the car. HRP

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for OT: But compared to my 34 Ford my 34 Plymouth with factory IFS rode like a mid 50s Cadillac-just one of the reasons why I ´m selling my 34 Ford and building another 34 Plymouth. I guess I´m too old to shatter my teeth, hahahaha

Boryca, HOTRODPRIMER and jimgoetz like this.