Register now to get rid of these ads!

Red Devil Cat 30 Paint Shaker - Vibration Solutions?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Sven Pruett, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Sven Pruett

Sven Pruett

Hello all,

I have a very nice 1941 Red Devil Cat 30 paint shaker I just finished freshening up. The machine works extremely well but is walks itself all over creation during operation. The machine came with no base of any sort and only harder rubber pads under each corner.

I found Radia (who now owns the Red Devil brand) still makes a spring-foot base for it for the ridiculous sum of about $300 (that ain't happening). With that, I was wondering if anyone out there has already tackled a mounting solution to remedy the vibration problem with success.

I'd like to keep the machine portable rather than permanently mounted to the floor, but perhaps that's the only viable solution. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences you've got!

Thanks!

Sven

2. slug

slug

Does yours have the heavy cast iron base? It needs that and then there are four springs and the rubber feet sit partially up inside the sprigs and the rest sits on the floor. It is supposed to bounce around but only what the anchored springs allow. It will probably break something without the springs to let it bounce up and down.

Sven Pruett likes this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

paint shaker 1.JPG paint shaker 2.JPG I fabbed up a frame that I bolted to two disc brake hats, used four valve springs to allow the shaker to move readily) It does move a little but it beats using a stir stick.

4. Sven Pruett

Sven Pruett

That is the base I was referring to that is still offered by Radia for $300! Not about to pay that kind of ransom. I have seen other machines like mine on pedestals that are
    not bolted to the floor and I wonder how they are capable of staying put? A permanent mount to my shop floor is not really what I want to do if I can avoid it.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If you are cheap like me get a new empty can and stir the shit out of it and pour it back and forth between the cans.:D Or mount it to the floor. Lippy

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have a friend that drove a big rig. He gave me a couple used large brake drums. One made a great base for a vise & the other is waiting for something similar. Things mounted on them don't move easily.

7. Sven Pruett

Sven Pruett

I think "mass" is definitely going to a friend in this endeavor along with isolation to keep the thing from shaking itself to death. I have a mount base almost finished that will have 4 spring "feet", but I am pretty sure that won't be quite enough to get the job done. Still noodling........

8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one we have at work sits on six suction cups that are supposed to absorb the vibration. Don't remember what brand it is. It still walks around some. The instructions that came with it said if it walked to use contact cement on the suction cups to keep in in place. Maybe you could rig something like that.

9. Sven Pruett

Sven Pruett

Thanks BigDog!
    I appreciate the "first-hand" on that feature! That is very interesting and kinda lines up with where I think I'm going with this one. Unfortunately my shop floor has grit in the surface so no way a suction cup would work, but the principle would still work!

Evidently, there aren't many of these antiques living in the wild anymore and all of the new one's I see are huge by comparison and have very sophisticated suspension systems that make the job downright "pedestrian" by comparison.

10. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I work in a body shop. We have one that looks just like that, but it's not that old. Ours is bolted to a pedestal that is lagged into the concrete floor. I remember remember when we bought it, the paint supplier gave us the pedestal with it, so I'm sure you can still buy them.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Or put a wheel and tire under the base . Lippy

13. Shalamo

Shalamo

Not sure if this one is homemade or original, it was on the machine when I acquired it but it works well. Looks like toilet plungers one the bottom.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Mass would be beneficial. If you could get a big rig brake drum and make a pedestal to attach the shaker to, then you could make it weigh alot more by filling the drum with concrete. Washing machines used to have big balastlike that to keep them from walking around. Just a thought...