Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ahh shit I didn't get that? I'll send you my number.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

rocky.gif

Stogy, Thor1, scootermcrad and 2 others like this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh boy... well... that's awkward.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sooooo.... I have a decent update. I worked my ASS off this weekend to get some high-build down on the main cab portion of this car. This is just a first round of high-build primer. I really needed to get a good baseline on where I'm at with the body work, so it was time. Plus, with the humidity here I was chasing flash rust and it was killing me. I would literally work an area in the morning and after a few hours it was turning red. Just exhausting!! But now it looks less like a cow and more like a car.

I should also add that there is no way this could have happened if it weren't for my amazing wife holding down the fort and taking care of the kids, all while trying to get her own business off the ground. All I really want to do is support her on her business venture and hang with the fam, but I know it's important that this car gets finished and I'm glad she ALSO knows it must happen and why. My parents even came over yesterday and spent most of the day here just to help us so I could keep going. It's a struggle to balance something that falls more in the "hobby category" with general family life and responsibilities as parent. I don't want to miss out on anything...

Anyway. Progress. From cow to primer.

IMG_3569.jpg
    My 3 year old in her "Elsa dress" asking me how things are going and making sure I have everything I need. Damn, I love this kid. I love that she knows what "hot rods" are, too.

IMG_3554.JPG

Doors are masked because they're just not ready to shoot. They will be next. They don't need an awful lot to be ready. Maybe a full day of hard work and they'll be ready for high-build.

IMG_3575.jpg
    And first look while pulling the "paint booth" apart.

IMG_3577.jpg

NOW I can see all the little details that need finishing. Overall, things are MUCH flatter than I expected them to be, considering the car was chopped, channeled, narrowed, shortened, and sectioned about 14 different ways.

IMG_3580.jpg IMG_3581.jpg
    So next up will be the doors and whatever little bits like the garnish moldings, and that kind of crap. Then I will do a re-fit of the doors to make sure the door gaps are the way I need them to be. I need to make sure all the latches and whatever I plan to use for door seals work before going much further, as well. Last thing I need is to go all the way to color and find out that the doors don't close right anymore and the windows don't go up and down. Oh wait... I don't have windows yet.

SOOO much left to do, but it's finally looking like something.

A further note. My friend Cassie has been a huge help with this, also. She is doing a little color sanding for me to help keep things on schedule. She has the dash rail as a test piece and asked if I would let her do the cowl top. I hate asking for help, but at this point, I'm not going to turn down that kind of help. Otherwise this car will just never be done.

That's if for now. Looking forward to getting more done. Never thought I'd see the light at the end of the tunnel for this paint crap, but I'm starting to see it. Or, maybe that's just the train coming...

HEMI32, patmanta, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Progress is so nice isn't it? Some stages of a build are huge. Getting it all one colour is one of them, even if it's just primer. Congrats.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! Totally! Thanks man!

I went out to the garage a little bit at lunch and just kind of looked over everything in better light and things looks pretty decent. Just a bunch of small areas, like pin holes here and there I didn't notice before and a few things along edges and body lines. But the big panel work is pretty well done. Looking pretty "flat", overall. Guess we'll see once it's blocked out and wiped down.

AHotRod, Blue One, dumprat and 6 others like this.
  7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed you Bud.Fun project..

Thor1 and scootermcrad like this.
  8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a crappy set back last night. The young man that was going to do the upholstery on the seats backed out less than 3 weeks before my deadline (September 1st was when I needed them back) even though he had 13 months to figure out how to make it happen. Got the seats and materials delivered back to me last night, but now I have no time to find someone else to do them, so we're resorting BACK to "plan A". "Plan A" has always been to have my Wife do the seats. She has the machines to do it, but doesn't have a lot of experience or time. I guess everything happens for a reason, though. She ultimately really wanted to do the seats, but with her starting her business, and everything else going on, there wasn't going to be time in the day to make that happen. But, we have no other options, so she's excited and a little stressed out at the same time. We're going to use the money saved to hire our babysitter a few extra days.

I was really excited to just show some finished seats and be able to put my butt in them. This ALWAYS seems to be my experience with hiring people to do work for me, though. This is why I always try to do my own stuff. I really feel like there is a reason for this, though. So stay tuned!!! Guess we'll be doing the upholstery ourselves, too...

Just a reminder of what the heck the seats even look like...
    IMG_7610.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

Here's some inspiration for what they're going to look like

P-32-5.jpg IMG_1558.JPG IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1466.JPG

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Lil'Alb, patmanta, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Smooth looks more like a race car and would take less time. ;)Bob

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a reason for this..Hang on for the Ride!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! I agree!! I would rather keep it all in the family anyway.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. hotdamn

hotdamn

get it Scootie!!!!!!!! if there's anything I can do to be of assistance don't hesitate to reach out, I'm just right down the road!!!!

Thor1 likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, brother!! You know it! Thanks!

Thor1 likes this.
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need some seat foam advice. Can anyone reading recommend what to get for seat cushion bottom foam?

I had bought some 2" thick bottom cushion material from a place online for this project and took it to the person who was supposed to do this and it appears I didn't get it all back or even enough to do one seat, so I'll have to re-buy. If I recall, I was going to do a 2" firm-ish piece of foam and then 1" less-dense piece over the top of that (which I still have). For the life of me I don't remember what I bought, firmness, type of foam, anything.

EDIT: Did a quick search and ran across this place and their recommendations. I may have even bought my foam from here. Can't remember. Anyone have experience with these recommendations?

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/buyersguide_foam.asp

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  15. llonning

llonning

Glad to see the progress. I would like to be on here more, but with work and the travel time I just don't have the time.
    Good going!!! Keep it up'

Len

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Scott! Happy Birthday, it's been great to see the resurgence of the Murray. I hope you and your family have a great day, today.

kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  17. Happy Birthday, Scott!!!

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks brother!! And may I say, every time I take the wheels off of this car, I use the speed wrench you sent me. :):)

Looking forward to see more progress on your coupe, also!

Thanks buddy!!

Thor1 likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I had the bomber buckets in my roadster and the bomber bench in my pu done we used 3 inch firm foam for the cushion and 4 inch medium foam for the front roll. I weight 270 so that's why the thicker firm foam. We also mad a removable back cushion out of 3/4 foam. They both seemed to be comfortable. Check the for sale ad for my pu to see the seat

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you! That sounds perfect! I even have some 3/4" sitting here, or maybe it's 1". I'll order some new bottom foam.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. This thing done yet or what?

kidcampbell71 and scootermcrad like this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

So good to see that your still pushing onward after all these years.

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, alright... I got a little bit more work done. I've been working on the doors. They weren't too bad, overall, but just needed a lot of little things to get them in primer. Making sure any surface rust from sitting around was off and the INSIDE of the doors just SUUUUUUUCK! I stripped the factory tar off the inside a long time ago, and just needed to get them clean and sealed up.

IMG_3594.jpg IMG_3595.jpg IMG_3596.jpg

After a bunch of scrubbing and prep work I finally got these friggin' doors in high-build. I'm also finding that BEER drinking is really the best way to pass the time between coats. HAHA

IMG_3637.jpg IMG_3863.jpg

That recommendation came from an English guy, once...

Anyway, there's primer on the doors, which means all of the major body parts of this car (less a few odds and ends) are completely coated with SOMETHING! Never thought I would see the day!

IMG_3641.jpg 62049674859__3A9DF337-692E-45F4-A95A-056359E99B93.JPG IMG_3872.jpg IMG_3874.jpg

There is an actual metric crap-ton of work left to be done before it's ready for that Washington Blue, but it's moving along. Now that I have primer on, I can really see everything that needs to get attention. A whooooole bunch of little details here and there that will make my fingers raw, but I'm really getting close to seeing how this car will look in full color. Hopefully the color goes down better than the cowl top. Unfortunately, the cowl top will probably have to be redone. Seems I fisheyed it pretty good. They may be too deep to sand out. Could be a number of things that caused it, but I really suspect I rushed and didn't get it clean enough or there was some garbage in my paint cup. My friend Cassie has been helping with color sanding to keep me on-schedule and make sure I don't screw up anymore. So grateful!!

Additional good news: the inside of the doors are actually ready for interior sound deadener and VERY close to interior paint colors, which is just an off the shelf "machine gray". That will about complete the interior painting, when that happens.

Once I finally get some color on this car, I'll get back on the Hemi and get down to some wiring. The Hemi is getting a repaint, possibly some chrome goodies, and a LOT of cleanup work before it goes back in. OH! And a clutch and hydraulic throw-out bearing. That will be a bunch more milestones on this build!

More soon!

0D91DB9A-F21E-4BD9-9A44-2097BAEFF17C.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  24. That’s a good update! Whoo-hoo! Go man go!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... more sanding and more primer. I would say I'm about 95% done with all the body work on the body itself. Few more small things to work out and want to take another look at the door gaps, but we're getting pretty dang close to final primer. Getting excited. If there's something I'm really learning, as time runs out, it's that this car has a bunch of character this is just going to remain. This car was never intended to be a "show car". Was always meant to be a "driver". So this being my first paint job, it probably won't look like a Million Dollar Paint Job, but it's going to feel like a million dollars to have it in the color I've been dreaming of and back together. If this car is getting used for what it's intended, none of this crap really matters. It's been a little bit of a struggle to come to terms with the fact that my OCD will get the best of me if I don't just leave some of it alone. Finding myself leveling areas and making them beautiful that will NEVER be seen, just kind of has to stop, now. I'm out of time. It has to be done. So whatever character is left when the car is complete, I hope people just appreciate all that I've been through to even get it this far.

Next I need to address a few things on the doors, including taking another look at door gaps. A couple other small things and a few pinholes I need to catch with putty before I start blocking. But it's really taking shape, none the less.

Some scenes...
    IMG_4001.jpg IMG_4008.jpg IMG_4004.jpg

HEMI32, chryslerfan55, slv63 and 17 others like this.
  26. Go Scooter!!!

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds similar to what I went through getting my RPU ready for paint.
    Looking forward to seeing the final results.

You’re right about the feeling of accomplishment in getting the paint done.

Anyone who has done a build like this pretty much all themselves will definitely understand what you go through to get there.
    I most definitely do.
    Larry

28. Yea Man....

scootermcrad likes this.
  29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... The moment you've all been waiting for!!!!!! It took me 14 years to get to this point. Ready to see it??

Don't scroll down! That's cheating!!

Let's start with the inside of the doors. They are pretty much ready to go. I got the insides prepped and painted and laid down some Lizard Skin sound deadener inside to replace the factory tar that was there. They need a little more work on the exterior to be ready to paint, which I'll do this coming weekend.

IMG_4216.jpg IMG_4218.jpg IMG_4224.jpg

I also had to do some touch-ups on the driveshaft tunnel and surrounding upright floor panels because I didn't get enough coverage on them out of the gate. (disregard the surrounding floors. They haven't been vacuumed and cleaned after sanding)

62292833881__47D0AA4C-4848-41DE-A4E4-D322C421F55E.JPG

But that's not the really cool stuff, right?

So then after putting in a strong 30+ hours over this past weekend, I was able to get some serious prep work done. I have no fingerprints left and my wrist actually feels like it could be broken. But it was all worth it!

IMG_4263.jpg 0C50E61A-4FC1-49A7-9C7A-F5F761838778.jpg

All leading up to the yesterday, when the big moment arrived!

IMG_4275.jpg IMG_4289.jpg

Door closed!! Let's GO!

IMG_4279.jpg IMG_4280.jpg IMG_4282.jpg

I carefully put six coats of 1936 Ford Washington Blue Acrylic Urethane (single stage) on. Only a couple runs and sags, but since they happened early, I thought I better get enough material on to get a good cut and polish.

In to the night, it was interesting to see how the color changes in various lighting situations. The halogen light really brought out the green undertones.

IMG_4306.jpg IMG_4308.jpg

And then finally... because no good paint job could possibly go perfect, while I was cleaning up I set the halogen light up on the ledge next to the car, and I guess it wasn't sitting quite right and....

...it fell into the left side of the car. I cried a little. Couple big scratches I get to fix now.

62363452778__A9E9EE5C-0B02-4357-9926-9A8626B3E749.JPG

But all crappy endings aside, the paint looks FANTASTIC!!! I'm super happy with how flat the panels ended up being and no strange issues like I had on the cowl top (which I ALSO get to re-shoot next weekend).

All in all, I'm stoked! I'm down to the wire to finish before cold weather cuts me off. Fingers crossed I can get it all in.

More to come as I get the doors and cowl top finished. Then I'll have to get down to business on the garnish moldings, quarter window regulator panels, and trans tunnel parts to complete the interior paint.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I love how the rivets stand out with the paint on it. Looks great!!