Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical B&M Hydro tech question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GoJoMoJo, Aug 8, 2020.

1. GoJoMoJo

GoJoMoJo
    from Sonora

I have an opportunity to get my hands on a few B&M hydros but have a few questions that hopefully someone here can answer before jumping off the deep end. I believe they are all “flat pan” transmissions. 1 Trans has all the original installation instruction paperwork and original receipt from B&M dated 1961.

The car is a 33 Willys with a blown desoto that will mainly be street driven and maybe raced at Eagle Field or other type events.

-I haven’t seen them in person yet but know for sure 1 trans is a R54 with the UC designation in the serial number. This means unblown competition correct?

-What is the difference between the unblown competition and the unlimited Competition internally? I was told today that the unblown trans wouldn’t last behind my motor. How true is this?

-I know for a fact that one trans was behind a nailhead. I’m unsure of the others. How much of a pain is it going to be to find a adapter plate to bolt one of these up to a Hemi? Anyone still make adapter plates that’ll work?

-Anyone in Northern California that you could recommend to rebuild one of these?

Thanks for the help.

-gojo

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  2. @Speedy Canuck might be able to offer some advise. He should be coming by soon............

Speedy Canuck and loudbang like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Gojo...never heard of an unlimited competition hydro, just unblown competition. Im sure B&M made a hydro adapter for hemi...probably ebay might be your best bet. Here is a page from my 1968 Bell Auto Parts catalog showing what was available that year.

20200808_024605.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  4. Flat pan and Slant pan transmissions are essentially the same. The Slant pan is basically a Flat pan clocked over to lower the transmission hump in the car. Bolt pattern is the same and bell housings are interchangeable. Same with the pans themselves.

If you end up getting those transmissions, please make a copy of the original installation instructions and the bill of sale. I have a copy of the installation instructions in the Hydro Tech group, but would be curious to see any changes/revisions. The bill of sale would be rare stuff indeed.

R54 would be a 1954 Oldsmobile transmission core used. UC means Unblown Competition.
    B&M made four 'models' of Hydro Stick's... Competition (Blown and Unblown), Street and Strip, and Custom Traveller. I've never come across (in person or online) a Custom Traveller, which was designed for camping and 4x4 off road use. Street and Strip are also exceedingly rare and were designed for a performance oriented mainly street driven application. Unblown Competition is the model I've come across the most, followed by Blown Competition.
    According to B&M literature, the Blown Competition was able to withstand up to 800hp blown applications, with the Unblown Competition handling unblown lower hp. My understanding of the differences comes down to the type (friction material) and number of clutch discs used to withstand the increased torque. I expect the torus vanes made also have been modified differently for Blown versus Unblown.

You mention that you have a blown Desoto Willys, but whether this transmission will stand up is going to depend in part on how mild or wild your motor is, and how much you rag on it. You mention that your car is mainly street driven, so I'd be inclined to suggest that your car has enough manners that the transmission will stand up. I'd suggest that the sole fact that you have a blower doesn't disclude the transmission from working for your application.

I don't know of anyone making adaptors currently for these transmissions, though adaptors do pop up from time to ebay and other places. I'll reach out to the guy I know, and you should place a Want ad in the classifieds as well. I believe you'll be looking for a B&M CH-7 which was the adaptor for 54-58 Mopar engines and included a bellhousing adaptor, crankshaft adaptor and pilot bushing. Expect the crankshaft adaptor and pilot bushing to be lost to time. Those should be easy to replicate once you find the bellhousing adaptor.

1934coupe, loudbang, AHotRod and 5 others like this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Look at the prices in that old Bell Auto Parts listing!!! I'll take a dozen of everything. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Speedy Canuck, Todd553 and bchctybob like this.
  6. It looks good Butch, but you have to multiply those numbers by 10 to convert the price to the equivalent today.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  7. Don't worry about any Hydramatic not being able to withstand any street driven engine. Those trannys are very stout from the factory. After all, they were designed originally to serve in WWII military tanks. Modifications made by performance modifiers were for control, not strength reasons. The only real strength mods were brazed torus fins, primarily to allow the vanes to be trimmed on a lathe for higher stall, not because the engine would overpower them, and clutch disk material that isn't a serious consideration for street driven units. In short, any aftermarket hydro is way stronger than you will ever need.

loudbang, AHotRod and bchctybob like this.
  8. GoJoMoJo

GoJoMoJo
    from Sonora

Thanks for all the reply’s. Once I get my hands on the transmissions I’ll make sure to copy everything for you Speedy Canuck. The bill number is 1009 and the kit with a Ansen shifter was $396.00.
    There is 3 transmissions in total. One came off a Buick another a ford and the 3rd is unknown because it’s in a crate still. Hopefully I can find a adapter plate. Making one would suck. I’m not to much worried about the crank coupler or pilot bushing.
    Anyone know someone in Norcal that’s knows anything about these to rebuild? Or who has extras laying around?

Speedy Canuck, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Blownolds, here on the HAMB, was a California HAMBER who had LOTS of Hydro stuff, then he liquidated it all.
    I don't know if he's still on the board, but I'd start with him; he may be able to steer you towards someone who still knows about these old transmissions. All my stuff, that I gave away, was Chevrolet based, including the B & M aluminum adapter bell-housings. That included several spare flywheels, shifters, and torus assemblies (please don't call them "torque converters". Be aware that you MUST run a throttle pressure linkage setup, and it has to be adjusted correctly to prevent burning the transmission up. Post up some photos when you get the transmissions.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    427 sleeper likes this.
  10. Still in the crate... :eek:

@Joe DeBattista was having a Hydro built by Jason Colby who used to operate Goodies Speed Shop. Might want to connect with Joe and see how his hydro turned out as well as info on how to contact Jason.