Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, you a correct on changing too many things between runs. My limit was always 2 but usually I did one. I never left home, when a ran the without a quick change, with at least 3 sets of rear tires and 2 gear changes. When I really got my act together I had Tex Racing assemble a 4-speed with a .96 overdrive in the 3rd gear position. Since we pushed off my first gear was a 1.61 and the combination saved me a few times when I needed just a little extra. It's really tough to push a brick thru the air.
    Many years ago a very qualified land speed racer told me "bigger bangs or more of them" ... Look like your going to give "more of them" a shot... Good luck today and the rest of the week.

D-Russ, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  2. Lining up. It’s go time!

0C84610D-53B1-4EFA-9840-A633A7678F88.jpeg

6F0E6CBF-84FF-42AD-AF12-4E33E2C7DB63.jpeg

Lepus, D-Russ, seadog and 14 others like this.
  3. The boys just made a pass, but no info on the run.

4. listening live, I ran to the bathroom and missed it!

D-Russ, lothiandon1940, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. any word on how they faired? never heard anymore on the live feed.

lothiandon1940, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. No word yet, but since there was no time announced, I don't take it that they had a complete run- my guess is that Dave turned out before the 3- mile mark. Just a guess.

And the announcer had the class record and motor and year of the truck all mixed up. Sheesh.

7. lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. ATTENTION 640 fans! We need YOUR help!

We’ve encountered some transmission issues and to keep running we are in need of a useable/operational Turbo 350 transmission with short tail shaft. Need not be new, just useable.

We have a list of shops in Salt Lake City and will start calling them once we have it pulled out (which we’re doing now).

Thanks for any help!

Will check back for PM’s but feel free to text/call: 540-850-0115

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Fingers Crossed...Confidently...I find the Racing Spirit is always admirable...

Go Team Go!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. old flopper

old flopper

Dan, did ya’ll contact announcer booth at the flats? I heard them announcer some parts needed on the voice feed. Chance some one there in pits might have a TH350 with them.

Note: Duplicate post on VIRGINIA H.A.M.B.CALLOUT FOR HELP thread.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  11. Craigslist SLC showed NO T350s listed

12. Check with Tim McMaster if he hasn’t already left. Unfortunately, he’s done for the week.

13. Tim runs a toploader

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. I wish I was there. I’d pull the one out of the roadster.

15. Yep, we’re gonna need a transmission. Thanks for the ideas everyone! Still looking...

16. I sent out a couple feelers to HAMB folks in SLC

17. Looks like we’ve got a line on a useable transmission.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

18. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

One nice thing being out there, you can run 100 mph down the road to pick up parts.

19. Huge thanks to Tim, Ryan and Kris at the Salt City Speedshop for hooking us up with a transmission! It should be in our hands shortly and we’ll work till the salt closes to get it installed. Stay tuned!

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

21. Scott_Rod

Scott_Rod

22. Go TEAM go! :D

loudbang, Dino 64, D-Russ and 6 others like this.
  23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Play old-timer!

Drag it into town at the motel.

24. One transmission in hand! We’ll do a little clean up and refresh in the motel room tonight and be waiting for the gate to open tomorrow morning to get it back in.

E21DFD16-A326-49CA-871C-75C798D41636.jpeg

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Salt Lake boys are the best!
    Don't let them know I said so or I'll have to wear my Elmer Equipped tee shirt more.
    Good luck with the change out

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. greybeard360

greybeard360

Looks like a pretty small convertor. Hope it doesn't have too high of stall speed for you.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Welp, we found a transmission thanks to a few very amazing people, namely Ryan [not sure what his last name is], Tim and Kris Elmer from Salt City Speed Shop and their dad Larry, and our pit neighbor Steve Burns. These are all guys that none of us on the 640 team have ever met, but in our time of need that really came through.

When we realized the trans was toast, we thought we were done, but we had so much invested, and we’d traveled so far we decided to keep pushing forward - we owe that to all the fine folks who have helped us along the way. So we met as a team and worked through our [limited] options. I mean it was only Monday and it was only a TH350, right? And who hasn’t changed a trans lying on their back in a driveway?

So Dan started making calls to local transmission shops, Sam went on a parts and dinner run, John called his tranny builder back in Virginia, then he and Doug went to the local trans shop in Wendover, I went to the live broadcast booth to ask if anyone at the event had a spare trans and then Rich and I went to visit the Salt City Speed Shop guys here in the pits. I spoke to Ryan first - he immediately said he thought Tim had one under the workbench and messaged Tim about our situation. So I got a call from Tim, who had just arrived at the salt and he said he would be happy to let us use the transmission and if we decided to keep it we could just square up later. Unbelievable! We, the team, can’t thank Tim enough.

So now we needed to figure out how to get it to Bonneville. We were preparing to drive the 100 miles to north of Salt Lake City, but John remembered that our next pit neighbor Steve Burns had offered his assistance if we needed anything. Steve was in SLC getting parts to repair the forks on his race bike, so John contacted him and he agreed to pick up the trans while he was there. Thank you so much Steve!

Steve got back to Bonneville about 6:00 with his parts and our transmission. We proceeded to give it an old school motel parking lot clean up, filter and pan gasket, and front and rear seals. The torque converter that came with it has a 4,500 stall, so we ordered a stock one as well. Not sure which one we’ll use yet.

We’ll install the tranny in the morning and make some more passes ... stay tuned.