Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y block headers and making SBC headers fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Aug 10, 2020.

1. I know some here have modified SBC headers so they fit the Y block head, I would like to hear from some that have done it.
    The way I see it, there are two ways that it can be done, one would be to just get a Y block exhaust flange and cut the pipes off of the SBC flange and weld them in. Another way, and the way I would like to try is to cut the SBC flange just outside each bolt hole and flex the pipes to fit. the center flange area will need a short piece welded in between the two pipes and a hole drilled and I think the other holes will need to be moved a little also. The reason I was thinking about doing it this way is I would like to do this in stainless (SBC stainless headers are cheap) and have a tig welder that can weld stainless. I just can't imagine cutting new stainless flanges with the tools I have. And this way it would be way less welding. any thoughts?

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  2. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

The first set of headers for my avatar car, I did just as you suggested. A y-block flange was used and the pipes from a sbc flange were welded in. Later I build a better custom set.
    Ernie

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

PeggyHi ArtDeco19.jpg

This is my old hot rod powered by Ford Y-block Thunder Bird in a little newer pic.
    I did a tech for HAMB back some time ago 2013,an still is working fine. SBC used headers are EZ to find,and often cheep or even free to get something to work with.
    The set I got first were a little rusty,but by the time I did this tech,I had a SBC set that still had very nice chrome,but were cracked on one tube at there flange=So owner had just got brand new set,an gave me the older set.
    But just cutting the SBC flange will not work,as it is wrong angle to Ford head,even though the SBC flange outer bolt ho0le line up dead on the earlyer Ford Y head. The pipes would not come off the Ford head like you would like.
    Here's how;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/headers-ford-y-v8-from-old-chevys.776744/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    loudbang and 46international like this.
  4. Dana, thanks. I knew you did this so you would be the person to talk to. So the angle will not come out right unless I cut the flange off? You also say the outer bolt will line up with the earlier Y block head. I did not know they were different older or newer Y block head.
    I guess I will have to find some stainless plate and start cutting

5. one other thing, Dana do you use any hangers or support at the rear?

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

All Y-block Ford heads are same bolt layout 54 to 1965,but head casting did get better each year tel 1957 were best head,ports an valve size was done.
    . Even though "Y" is older design then SBC by more then a few years,the EX layout has bolts on each side of all EX ports=dose not blow out EX gaskets in center like SBC do/do to SBC not having any bolt between 2 center EX pipes. Plus Ford "Y" ex port design is better then SBC flow wise,having less bend in EX runner tunnel an shorter run out to any header.
    Also Mopar 318 has same EX spacing of outer bolts for EX.
    Makes us wounder how much copycat was going on !!!!!
    I do not use rear pipe brackets,but some do=if you do,be sure to let them float on or in a bracket{so vibs an heat growth don't just brake the brackets or EX headers.

7. thanks Dana, you are the man!

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stan's in Auburn used to make the y block flanges (and do the headers) that FPA makes for the early birds. I bought a set of flanges for the headers on my 32. Probably be worth a phone call to see it they still do. Very nice work.

http://www.stans-headers.com/

46international and loudbang like this.
  9. 46international and loudbang like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have made my own flanges over the years,but the work is high and now days picking up a set from Speedway is far better way to go. So this last time,that's what I did; $50
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-292-312-Y-Block-Header-Flange,6901.html

Kind of along the same line of fab. things together on low $$,I've made a few home made log style intakes. This photo is of the last intake I did,made by cutting up a drive shaft as the log. A 4x2 set up with home made linkage an fuel log + water therm. housing. The runners coming off head ports are divided from head up into upper log. Most are open between ports factory made 4x2 or 6x2 types. Y-blocks don't like open between log an head,as two cyl fire right next to each other.
    001 (4).JPG

46international and pprather like this.
  11. Thanks for the Stan's Header info, I checked them out and it does not look like they have the Y block flanges in stainless. We have a plasma cutter at work, if i can get it to cut stainless I think I'll try to cut out a set.

12. RmK57

RmK57

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER