Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New purchase made it home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

I ran a wanted ad a couple of months ago as some of you know for a panel or pickup truck. I have been wanting a replacement for my '42 ever since I sold it and I figured now was as good a time to shop as any since I've had plenty of time on my hands to peruse classifieds on the net (thanks to COVID).
    I found this '51 on Hemmings a few weeks ago and the location was close enough (NC) to go look at and take a test drive. I met a super nice couple that owned the truck and they were at the point in life that they felt like it was time to start letting some things go. Anyway to make a long story short a deal was made and I went back yesterday to haul it to it's new home in Va.
    It needs some tlc for sure; new exhaust, bed wood, cab insulation, hood hinges, wiring odds and ends, etc but I hope to have it all sorted out soon. I think I need to change out the tires and rims as well to give a little more of a "hot-rod" stance. I like the steelies but American racing five spokes would be high on the list as well....................what do you think? 102_4319.JPG 102_4322.JPG

reagen, rodwerkz, SPEC and 41 others like this.
  2. Great looking truck! Have fun. Those were some workhorse trucks on farms across the country .

catdad49, hotrodharry2, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck. I'm having trouble visualizing it with 5 spoke Americans. Maybe post a photo on the photo shop thread and ask someone to shop in the 5 spokes.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one nice lookin' truck. Keep the steelies.

5. CME1

CME1

That is a real great looking truck. I would agree that a little more stance and American Racing Five Spoke Wheels would really look great on the truck. And that's what I think! :)

6. ditto on the Americans, Those look great down with a nice set of steels and caps and the right rubber. congrats !

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I rather like that "mid 60's" look with the narrow whitewalls and stock wheels and caps it has now. That's how the older guys with nice trucks in that year model ran them when I was in high school around here. Wide whites were totally out of style then and black walls meant it was a farm/work truck.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Very nice. Enjoy it.

Thor1, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice truck. Enjoy!
    Be careful with "what do you think?" around here. :)

10. What do I think?, if you decide it's more than you want to do let me know, I like those trucks. HRP

11. pkhammer

pkhammer

HAHA! That's ok, I rather enjoy hearing others opinions. Thanks for all the positive feedback to all. Here are a few pics I found on the net. 1951-ford-f100.jpg Used-1950-Ford-F1-Pickup-for-sale-Jackson-MS.jpg

12. pkhammer

pkhammer

I also have a confession..................I give guys a little bit of sh*t sometimes when it comes to those dad-gum belly-button small block Chebbies. Guess what this one has....................I've crossed over! Auuuuggghhhh!!!!!

13. oldolds

oldolds

Personally I would clean those tires and run those wheels and caps. I would fix the mechanicals as needed. Stance can be changed by tire sizes or spring/axle change.

14. You chose well. TTs get my vote.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just put off fixing those hood hinges - no one will know.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your new (Old) acquisition...check the DOT on the tires at a minimum for safety as it may be that time no matter how good those Tires appear...

I'm lesser a mag lover and prefer a cap with steel or chrome reverse rims but the choice is of course yours...

17. pkhammer

pkhammer

I get it Stogy, I don't much like mag wheels either but there is just something about Torque Thrusts............they seem to make any old POS look good. The tires are going to get replaced for sure before it gets driven much. Right now it has P225/75R15 all around on 6" wheels. I'm leaning toward 215/70R16 front and 255/70R16 rear on 6" front and 8" rear wheels. That will also require a rear end swap as the Mopar 9 1/4" 12 bolt rear that is currently under it is just too wide.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's all period I suspect as TT are an early 60s mag I believe...truly many times the tires, covers and rim dictated more than so many things what years your chosen look and vibe fit...you certainly have options. It's to bad you can't get an offset to make the rear end work but this is life in the fast lane of course...

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well ..... you have been around here for 8 years, and you know what has been said over and over and over again... "It's your truck, put on it what makes you smile".
    I'd personally leave it like it is because that looks right to me.

20. 392

Nice truck, enjoy.

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice pickup. Although I am a little biased towards the 51/52 F1 pickups. My pickup came with Torque Thrusts, but I removed them. I like the look of the steelies, but it is your pickup.....................................
    IMG_0982.jpeg

22. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Awesome truck! Just drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

pkhammer and loudbang like this.
  23. Do what ever it takes to "make it your own"..other peoples opinions be damned.
    Congratulations, cool truck.

24. catdad49

catdad49

Make it safe, make it yours, Enjoy! Looks like a Great start, Carp.

25. belair

belair

I like the steel wheels more on that truck. Have fun.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Good looking truck. Im not a baby moon fan, prefer either a nice looking wheel or just painted steelies, maybe a thin trim ring with no cap. Chrome steelies would look nice.

Some chrome bumpers tucked tighter to the body would go a long way on that truck. Chrome grill may be spendy but would be nice.

Steel wheels, bumpers, grill, door handles, hood trim all powder coated or painted the same with the brightest silver / chrome paint you can find would look good. Possibly a color to mimic magnesium or a silver with a little brown tint. If its consistent on the whole truck itll look good.

Alright - Im done daydreaming while mentally spending your money. :rolleyes:

pkhammer, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You need to do something about that rear axle. 1957-1972 F100 is pretty much a “bolt in”. It may need just a little shimming but fits and fits well restoring the proper track. It also is 5x5.5 like the front.

That wide rear axle you have now really limits you on wheel choices. I like the looks of a deep dish on the back with the tire close to the fender.

A flat wheel with the tire close to the fender, not so much. I think you would be much happier with the narrower track like these had originally.

The SBC is a great engine for these and it fits better than a Flathead.
    People that spout off that Ford in Ford baloney have no idea the trouble involved in fitting a suitable OHV Ford in one of these.
    Y blocks don’t fit well and trans adapters are nill.
    FEs....are you kidding!
    289-302-351W the exhaust layout causes trouble. The length causes problems and let’s be honest, a SBF is a ugly engine.
    I’m qualified to say this as I ran a 302 in my F1. A SBC has much more options as far as exhaust.

Neat truck but as mentioned, I think you’ll be much happier with the stock width rear. The 57-72 rears were 9” so that’s a plus.

28. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Nice truck. Since you asked I like what you have on it or maybe even different caps. I like TT's but just don't seem to fit on the truck to me. In the end it is your choice and either way will be a nice truck. Congrats.