Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

"PATINA"--bread ,ain't that place that overcharges for a slug of bread and half a sandwich ??? Im with A boner about painting the frame and such . 1st thing I would do is clean everthing you got top to bottom, scrubb the snott out of it ,get it as clean as you can , especially the wheels and tires . Then start detailing a few things ,bright paint ( your choice of color ) on the wheels ,motor, paint the frame first ,maybe flat black the headlights,or gloss black then lightly sand some of the shine off ,would do the same for the top of the cowl section .partially down the side of cowl? then see what you got and if you like it ,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

i could go either way. my dad had a pure patina barn find 40 ford tudor sedan. most of the original paint, although very faded was still there. my 47 ford coupe is a little different, right now the patina/rust tells the stories of all the different cars that it came from. The 50s custom coupe body, bottom half that came from Detroit via Wyoming, the doors that came from Kansas. I enjoy a good paint job, but sometimes the story that the old rough looking car brought back from the dead, saved from the crusher, dragged from a widows garage makes the connections from the past to the present.

Jeff Pandora and Thor1 like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The jeans are fine...your legs are just too short. :cool:

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The jeans are patinaed. Not dark blue, but have an aged look to them. So most people would dye then dark blue.

F-ONE, clunker, wraymen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

I do agree with that and now that I have seen it in person there will be some panel replacement to do but I will drive it first ..

theHIGHLANDER, Blues4U and jimgoetz like this.
  6. Reidy

Reidy

So where is the break point between paint and a car that has aged gracefully from use. Is it one stone chip, maybe 10.
    I see a lot of comments saying that a car should be freshly painted if you have any respect. Do I need to do a repaint on say a five year schedule or can I get 10 years, 15 stone chips and maybe one scratch near the door latch.:D I would hate to offend someone if I decide to put some miles on my car and am spotted with 16 stone chips and a 12% degradation of paint gloss measured with a refractometer because I did not understood the rules.

redoxide, Blues4U and Thor1 like this.
  7. [​IMG]
    Wray's post brought this one to mind.

Blues4U, Jeff Pandora, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

I agree with you after looking at it it does look like fake pinata very even color and texture all across I will be getting it all solid and safe then drive then make nice ...er

Bigmac48, Thor1 and Blues4U like this.
  9. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

10. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

the paint wins what is a good durable paint please remember this will be a driver every day if possible paved and dirt ( I am 2 miles from a paved road )

jimgoetz and Thor1 like this.
  11. grumpy65

grumpy65

WHAT ??? YOU NEVER TOLD US THAT !!!
    Paint will ruin in a matter of seconds. Don't waste your time and money........................................yet.
    Drive fast on the dirt and it might sandblast the rust off, then move immediately into town and apply paint.
    :D:D:D

Jeff Pandora, jimgoetz and wraymen like this.
  12. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

The paint on my roadster is just Omni single stage acrylic enamel no clear coat just cut and buffed. I have just under $200 in materials Paint, reducer and hardener and it's easy to touch up. Of course I did it myself but isn't that what us hot rodders do? Yes I know these jeans make my ass look fat.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  13. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Old too.

Attached Files:

Thor1 likes this.
  14. That’s like asking your original question.
    I’m not going to suggest a brand but use a paint from a supplier you like or close by.
    That way if ya need anything for it your not making decisions based on inconvenience.
    Follow the tech sheet recommendations and not the paint store guy (unless ya know he also uses the stuff)
    Good luck
    Post pics

15. Deuces

Deuces

Wow 8 pages of this crap and you guys can't figure it out????... Kill it!

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  16. No. Bitching is traditional.

17. Deuces

Deuces

18. A Boner

A Boner

Use some shitty paint...the new patina will appear sooner!

Thor1 likes this.
  19. This is some form of patina. Rust hole I'm not sure about. 20200729_140012.jpg

tinsled, Jeff Pandora and Thor1 like this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

This:

DSC00713.JPG

Jeff Pandora and Thor1 like this.
  21. 97

Bryan,
    That poor truck is so unloved , allowing its roof to get rust is the last straw,:rolleyes: I will be coming past with an empty trailer next week, I will pick it up and bring it home to a nice caring warm environment!
    cheers
    CC8

Kiwi 4d and Thor1 like this.
  22. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

theHIGHLANDER, Thor1 and Joe Blow like this.
  23. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

will do thanks

Thor1 likes this.
  24. enigma57

enigma57

X 2!! If you care anything at all about the car, paint it! Even if all you can do is put it in primer and add a seal coat rather than a finish coat...... Paint it! Even if all you can afford is spray cans...... Paint it!

'Patina' is phoney baloney. About as real as the guys who stuff socks down their jeans to impress the girls on Saturday night.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

P.S. >>> Did I mention that phoney 'patina' sucks? And looks like crap? Its an overused term. My '57 Chevy has genuine patina. But that is only because it hasn't been painted since 1976 and I can't afford to give it a nice paint job just now. Not because I spent good money to make the finish look as if its 'distressed'. People who spend good money for a new pair of jeans that have holes cut in the knees might like the phoney 'patina' look. But not me.

olscrounger, 36cab, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  25. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

This was where the gas tank mounts were brazed on in the early 50's on my 27. I thought I'd save some of the real patina.
    DSCN1305.JPG

26. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

I will paint it but first not a big fan of rust but first safety and dependable then tear down and paint patch panels

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tempered approach, good plan. As all the diatribe above settles (mine included) let's all recall that even Earl Shieb shot the old hot rods and kustoms often. I know for a fact dear ol Dad had at least 3 done that way. He'd do the work-work, let them shoot it. The best part of all? Now it's "your" roadster. No more rust stains on your favorite Tshirt too...:rolleyes:

Now, you WILL share the process right? I mean after all this treaty negotiation it's the least you can do. Just sayin...

28. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I drove my Model A around unpainted for about 5 years while I sorted out the car. Did I like it, I thought so till I painted it and now I like it more.

My car is not that nice and could never have a “shiny” paint job. I went with hot rod flatz in a midnight blue. Nothing fancy and I painted it in a booth I made inside the garage.

We take the car everywhere, paved roads, dirt roads, field paths and down the highway. Spring, fall and even winter if the roads are clear. Summer when it’s not 90+ out.

Enjoy the car till your ready for a change and then change the car as you like. I dig a 28/29 roadster.

Cliff Ramsdell
    F4D07BBB-37CA-463D-B67D-1288A15A3DDC.jpeg

This weekend on a dirt road that runs through Granville State Forest.

29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Yep, you got it. We would even do some of the masking in their parking lot.

30. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave