Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early Dodge Trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldenoldieolds, Aug 9, 2020.

1. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

There is very little info on here for vintage Dodge trucks. I am looking at 2 of them. One is a 1940 1/2 ton pick and the other is a 1934 1 1/2 Dodge Brothers flat bed. Both trucks are rust free South Dakota trucks. They are complete trucks with engines that turn over. He doesn't want to price them and I don't know where to start to make an offer. Any help out here on the value of these trucks? Any help would be appreciated.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It’s his job to price the trucks not yours. So , it seems he is playing the game that your offer will be higher than what he wants. Tell him you pass and see what his reply to that.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a FB group for them https://www.facebook.com/groups/690296984446022/ Figure that anyone offering similar trucks in similar condition for sale is going to ask more than what you can expect to pay.
    Around here those trucks have always seemed to be the settled for because they couldn't find or afford anything else rigs as far as hot rods go. Usually you could get a pretty solid truck for your buck that didn't buy as near as nice a Ford the same year though.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True there but I've seen a lot of guys hold back on giving a potential buyer a price hoping that the offer is more than what they actually want.

It is still best to do as Goldenoldies is attempting to do, find out what the actual going prices are for similar trucks so he doesn't burn himself in the process. I think I could have bought my flathead for half of what I paid for it because I made the offer that the seller jumped on way too quick.

5. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

I agree with you on him pricing them. However, he does not HAVE to sell them, he just thinks its time to do so. I don't want to walk away and find out he walks away as well. I would like the trucks but have no clue on the value.

6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Make him a reasonable offer and if he refuses or gets angry tell him ”if you don’t know want you want for them then how would I” He probably knows but is playing games. He will tell you if it is too low.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  7. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

I understand. However, always dealing with classic cars, I have no idea on old Dodge trucks. I was hoping someone would have an idea what they are worth. If he did give me a number on them I would have no idea if it was high or low.

8. Start @$1500 each if he pulls the shotgun out you know you was to low LOL

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. Dont forget about titles !

VANDENPLAS, MO54Frank and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suggest that you pick up a copy of this publication, mine is 20 years old, but its got a ton of great information about a huge variety of trucks. Its not a true pricing guide, but an extremely helpful book when you need to know the information that is helpful when you are trying to make up your mind. This is an excellent book for when you are doing research.
    I agree on the offering price of $1500.00.

truck catalog 1.jpg truck catalog 3.jpg truck catalog 2.jpg

11. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

Thanks for the good info on the book. I'll try the Old Cars Price Guide also. Great help.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. dwollam

dwollam

If the '34 was a half ton it would be worth a ton more money. The '40, while a good ol' pickup, don't bring near the money of a '33-'38. I sold a pretty beat but not rusty '36 1/2 ton for $2500.

Dave

VANDENPLAS and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd want to know how complete the 34 was, its going to be hard to find anything, sheet metal wise with it. the fact is a big truck would reduce the price, and weather or not it would come with a title is also pretty important when your talking money. $1500-$2000 if its complete with paper, if the body is exceptionally clean, the price probably goes up.

There is a lot of stuff available for the 40, but it gets pricey in a hurry. Condition and completeness is important, as well as the paper work. Being a pickup makes it more valuable then if it was a big truck. Having 4 good fenders can double the price! 4 years ago I gave $1500 for a complete, but pretty rough 47, with questionable paperwork. It was worth the $1500 for parts. Gene

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. scotts52

scotts52

The 34 should have the suicide doors. The cab is the same as a 1/2 ton. Everything else is big truck only. I have bought a cab withrusted out floors for $150 because the guy was in a hurry to sell. I got a good deal. The doors alone are probably worth $300-500. Ive also got a 1 1/2 ton. It's very rough. I'd say i probably overpaid for it at $1500. A couple years back I saw a 34 1/2 ton. It was complete but non running and needed everything. That guy was asking$2000 and had several people ready to buy it.

Without pictures it's a total guess but I'd say if it's complete, decent shape, with title, maybe$3500-5000 depending also on if it runs or not.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

I figured to start at 2k as these are so solid and rust free.

firstinsteele and JNKYARDDOG_1 like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Get on the old Mopar site p15-d24. They could help you out.

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

Do you have pictures?

18. indyjps

indyjps

Consider that may just be his way. I grew up in a farm town and now live in chicago burbs. The differences in how people communicate and the speed which something is decided are definitely different.

Farmer guy may him and haw for several conversations and meet ups to make a decision and come to an agreement.

Chicago guy its done in 3 min we go back and forth like auctioneers, or we part ways.

Theres cars it took me years to buy, stopping by and talking, asking. If its been sitting there for 5 or more years already, he may not give a shit if its there a few more months while you guys figure it out.

Lil'Alb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

20. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

21. goldenoldieolds

goldenoldieolds

I do have pictures. Email me at goldenoldieolds at Hotmail dot com

22. 4speed411

4speed411

'34 Dodge trucks are great looking rod material FB_IMG_1593342612892.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and exterminator like this.
  23. earlymopar

earlymopar

33, 34 & 35 are! (even though the last-half year of the 35's do not have suicide doors)

- EM

24. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Run run far away .... just because it is a cool dodge ... They look kool!
    They are not like a Ford or chevy, you can find patch panels for a few things, but nothing needed ... brake parts ... forget it ... interior gauges? ... forget it ... I love my old Dodge, but it is not like a name brand Ford or Chevy where parts are available ... you will need to make or adapt most parts while searching internet for the un-obtainiuam. I am not saying you wont find them, just saying you wont call your major parts supplier and have them sent out.
    Old Dodges are a labor of love.
    Or you could take those cabs and do something different.

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they have titles or is it the old "It comes with a bill of sale and a title is easy to get?"

Depending on where you live obtaining a title is a 20 minute deal or months of paperwork with no end.

26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-3_4-54-22.png

Hello,

A couple of days ago, I was driving by some industrial shops looking for a specific store. When I noticed a nice looking old truck. The sun was reflecting quite well nearing the noon hour. I was surprised that it was a Dodge and not a Ford truck. But, it was pretty good looking. The color combination and lowered stance just made it look rather cool.

Jnaki

The color reminded me of root beer with black accents. A great combo and now, it is time to go find something to drink, like a old time Hires Root Beer.
    upload_2021-5-3_4-55-53.png

41 GMC K-18 and juan motime like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Root beer brown. My dad had his 57 Chevy PU painted that color in the 60’s after an ambulance pulled in front of him, right at the corner of the A&W!
    That said, Hires was rough on my throat. I was a Frostie root beer guy, probably because it had a cool looking bottle that was formed and looked like ice melting.
    Now the nostalgic guy I am, I still have the empty bottle of the last Frostie root beer I ever drank.
    I recall walking to the little store to get one and my mom had gotten me one already, but I didn’t know. When I got to the store the lady “Bert” told me they didn’t carry it anymore and didn’t think it would be coming back.
    I walked home, drank my Frostie very slowly, and put the empty away in the back of my shelf. Last time I looked in there maybe 10 years or so ago, there was still a slight hint of the Carmel ring on the bottom of the bottle.

okay, now back to the thread. Lol. I’ve a ‘32 Dodge PU:)

41 GMC K-18 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]

upload_2021-5-3_10-48-41.png

Hello,

Here is the rear of the fabulous Dodge Truck. It was well built and the color was outstanding, highlighted by the pre-noon day sun.

Jnaki

It was almost noon as I remembered that I had to pick up my wife from a visit to her sister's house, nearby.

41 GMC K-18 and juan motime like this.