Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm right there with ya. At the end of the day whether it's O/G or our beloved hot rods we're doing exactly that, preserving. When you have the actual memories from earlier times it also tends to shape one's outlook. Although I was just a little shit I have memories of 'what was' back in the early 60s, and what wasn't was rust. Here's a twist. A Packard engine expert did a full rebuild of a 34 8 cyl engine and the customer INSISTED that the external block, head, accy parts etc remain old and rusty. Now he had a really good reason for that, it saved him a fortune in duty because it went to Europe as an old used engine. ;)

Jeff Pandora likes this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Lots of patina in this picture from F-one, but no rust :p

Non rust patina.jpg

Jeff Pandora, F-ONE and chopped like this.
  3. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

THIS.

haileyp1014 likes this.
  4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is a never ending debate. Was just looking at the roof on our well worn 32 pickup , the roof is so high we never really see it. As we live in a coastal area where rust is an enemy, this morning I decided to strip it back to bare metal , metal that had not seen daylight since 32. It was past patina and verging on what I consider light rust pitting , when it gets to that stage it’s not patina any more ,it’s just plain lack of care. It will get painted and 2 pack primed and prepped fully , but carefully dulled to matched the rest of the well used truck look. D46E4947-6CFA-4686-805B-E4C3CB2FE8CD.jpeg 02C96EBD-942C-4874-A8EF-0D60AFAD3B52.jpeg 5C34EB9C-03D5-45A9-877A-15F49133DA7A.jpeg

nunattax, bchctybob and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. redoxide

redoxide

these threads are best left ignored :)

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, I too find it ironic that the last name of your handle is "Pandora"! As you now know, the whole paint vs. patina debate it one that is hotly contested and one that for many will have no definitive answer. It is a Pandora's box of opinions!

Ultimately, the choice is yours. You will need to decide what look you want to go with and and then live with that decision. I would suggest in the near term doing something to stabilize the current "finish" and then drive the car...a lot. After a month or two, or three, you can make your decision based on your experiences and impressions and feedback you've gotten from others.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. guy1unico

guy1unico

If you find one like this orange A you are super lucky but they are rare...you don't mess with them. One like yours, you work on one area at a time and make a satin finish...not a bright glossy new finish.

Attached Files:

bchctybob and Thor1 like this.
  8. If you leave it like it is, almost everybody is is going to tell you: nice "r@t rod"...
    Only the real hot rodders will know it's not.

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think it's beautiful

Thor1 likes this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

As kiwi4d just attested to “patina” can present it’s own set of problems. Any needed repair or maintenance can make a “new” spot that looks out of place. It can also change the direction of a project in a heartbeat as I found out.
    When I got my Austin it was red primer, Centerlines and a snorkel hood scoop - pure ’70s bracket car. I envisioned it done in Candy Brandywine or Oddy blue with polished Halibrands and a black interior - a classy street gasser. But when I sanded the doors looking for a name or other ID I found lace. Once the primer was all sanded off and the paint polished it looked pretty decent and definitely better. I guess I can always paint it down the road but for now I’m enjoying it as it was in the mid sixties. image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kiwi 4d, Thor1 and clunker like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You know, I think some of us took the intent of the question in different ways. I think the question was just about the 1 car, the one he just got, should he paint it or leave it as it is (patina); I don't think he was asking about every car in the world whether they should be painted or not. Not sure why some of you took it that way.

j hansen and Thor1 like this.
  12. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A lot of people don’t ever read through a thread, maybe the title and the first two or three posts, then the hot air comes out.

From reading the OP’s 1st post, and some of his posts in other threads, we know;

1. he’s 75 years old.
    2. knows his way around fixing old cars
    3. has been around hot rods since the fifties
    4. is a hard working guy, but isn’t loaded with $$$$$$ like a lot of gold chain street rodders here.
    4. He’s got other projects going, and despite not having a garage to work in, (at least at the time of previous posts), is working on several old trucks anyway.
    5. He’s bought this car from someone here on the hamb, someone who presumably is the builder, who obviously likes old Ford goodies and adheres to this “gospel” mentioned in Ryans rules and by others. I’m guessing a person who builds a Roadster like this knows how to seal body panels without a full paint job, and did it as part of the build. (Ya think?)

Half way through the thread he responds with a lot of info that get’s completely ignored by subsequent posts;

1. He’s actually on the “paint it” side himself.
    2. He knows that taking everything apart, body work etc. will be a huge task, lot’s of $$$, lots of time. Can of worms.
    3. He’s 75, for Christ’s sake. He just wants to drive around and mess with his new car and enjoy life while he can. He wants to drive it every day.

Things we can assume;

He was interested in opinions about his new ride, possibly just to share this cool new thing he got with other people he thought might be interested. But really, he doesn’t care what any body thinks, he’s going to do what he wants to do any way, (just like most 75 year old guys do), how many 75 year old guys care what a bunch of other people think about something they’re doing? Looking for their approval? I literally know zero. They say what they want to say. They do what they want to do. They think what they want to think. They’ll reuse a tea bag. They’ll wear shorts, black socks and dress shoes. They will walk into a True Value and offer to pay 1/2 retail for a brand new chain saw as if they were at a swap meet (I witnessed my dad do this). If you think that because you have some vision how a “real” hot rod “should be”, that this OP isn’t going to bomb around in that thing as it sits, or cares if his 20 year old grand daughter says “nice rat rod grandpa!”, you’re really not reading the entire thread.

That being said, I’m a patina fan and enjoy all the pics from posters in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

itsmee, j hansen, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  13. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yep, back when you could go to Earl Shieb and get a car painted for $49.

Thor1 likes this.
  14. Sporty45

Sporty45

I personally prefer paint, but it's your car. Only you can make the decision, so the hell with what everyone else thinks, do what works for you. Oh, and nice car! :cool:

Blues4U and Thor1 like this.
  15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I think the word patina should be barred from The H.A.M.B.:mad:

16. I know. Your definitely right. Post right before this one a good example.

But part of my problem here is that folks read a thread title, without looking at any of the background info, any of the variables, get into a huff and throw some vitriol out into the room. It’s all about them. Only thing that matters is what they feel at that moment.

wraymen and Thor1 like this.
  17. But it ‘aint.

Rules say right up front “we don’t do rat rods here”. Also Ryan talks about the “punk rock ethos” and aversion to street rods (which plenty of you have)

Says nuthin’ bought “rust” anywhere, son. Not one syllable.

Jeff Pandora, Blues4U and Thor1 like this.
  18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Having a WTF moment here. I am 75 years old - why am I still reading this thread?

19. A. Exacerbated

B. He talks about it now and again. In posts.

Thor1 and sgtlethargic like this.
  20. ahhh , most honorable Ryan speaks also of Wabi-Sabi and Kintsugi.
    surely patina fits there.
    "the world breaks everybody, afterward many are strong in the broken places" [I may not have it word for word]
    Ernest Hemmingway

21. I haven’t read any of the previous posts and I’d just like to say this.......
    Ah, just kidding. I read them all and the passion level is off the charts. Opinion polls seem to do that. Do these jeans make me look fat?:)
    1E7943FE-091F-4DCC-851C-1CAD23250D86.jpeg

22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I think maybe some people are fooled because looking at old black and white pictures makes all of the cars look as if they are dull rusty or in primer. Not true when I grew up in the 50's. When I see a patina car even if it's legit I always think that if the original builder could see it he probably would be sad to see it in poor condition. Here's what my car looked like as built 1953. What it looked like when I got what was left of it. What it looks like now. If I hadn't seen the magazine (a copy came with the car) I probably wouldn't have painted it red. DSCN1256 (2).JPG DSCN1119.JPG DSCN1236.JPG I think Mahlon Love would be happy with it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  23. Callmaker

Callmaker

So... paint really helped that one....nice save!!

Thor1 likes this.
  24. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't think the car in question:
    [​IMG]

is anywhere close to this:
    [​IMG]

It's a bad picture, bad lighting, which likely makes it look worse than it really is. I think what looks like rust is likely brownish colored old paint, look at the cowl, does that really look like rust to you? It's the same color on the back deck, the radiator shell and head lights. If that's rust, it's really evenly applied without causing any pitting to the metal, pretty good trick. I think this thread has just really unveiled a lot of arrogance and lack of tolerance by a good number of HAMB members, and that's too bad.

26. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

27. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

No it's not. My point is that if that is a legit old hot rod I bet it was once painted or somebody was planning on painting it. Finish the builders vision and make it pretty. It doesn't have to be a big buck paint job but I don't ever remember anyone building a rusty car. Maybe a coat of primer for awhile or even brush painted but not rusty.

36cab, Blues4U and Thor1 like this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, so I lightened that photo up a bit and did a little work on it with my editor, and I was wrong, it is pretty much rust.
    1928 ford roadster 02.jpg
    Still, I would drive the crap out of that little hot rod. And when I had a chance I'd do a driveway paint job, rattle cans or brush/roller, but just get it covered in something. Again, nothing that would keep it down more than a few days, maybe even do it in chunks at a time. That thing is so cool as it is, a quick paint job would just make it cooler.

29. 392

I’d vote more for old rides that as is and 80 years past vs gold chain and primer guys but only one vote counts. The paint guys must see something that I don’t. All I can say is try it you might like it at least until you slick it out.

redoxide, Thor1 and F-ONE like this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

From Pewsplace.com
    D8E24ADA-739B-4E2A-BEDD-5BBDA9047B2B.png