Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which aftermarket A/C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Y-Blokkah, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Vintage Air or Classic Air Conditioning?

It’s going in a 56 Ford hardop.

Comments?

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintage air for me--have installed maybe a dozen

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

OK. I’ve head that they’re great for rods but a bit weak for full sized cars.

4. Which particular VA model are your referencing?

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Y-Blokkah your statement about Vintage Air being weak on full size cars couldn't be more further then the truth. Sounds like someone told you an old wives tale and you believed it.

The VA unit in my 60 Pontiac Bubbletop will freeze you out. Doubt you could find a car much bigger or with more glass then that.

VA has been in business for over 40 years. No way that would happen if your statement about not cooling full size cars were true.

A lot of the cooling capacity depends on the size of the unit you purchase. I always recommend buying the largest evaporator unit that will fit in the space you have available.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Y-Blokkah, rockable and olscrounger like this.
  6. I have installed several vintage air units
    They sell several different sizes.
    So I can see an issue if you bought a small set up for a large car. The other issue is insulation.
    Their weakest link would be some of their mounting hardware.
    I usually make sturdier mounts. Other than that they have been trouble free
    We put their largest set up in a station wagon.
    Insulated it and it worked great.
    They can do some cool stuff with factory switches

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    rockable, Atwater Mike and Gman0046 like this.
  7. I'm VA also. I've installed 3 units.

olscrounger and Gman0046 like this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In wife's black 55 it will freeze you out

Gman0046 likes this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Put a VA Gen IV in my 55 Sunliner. Amazed at the amount of air it puts out. Have VA in my 40 and F100, great product.

Y-Blokkah likes this.
  10. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Good deal. My wife has Lupus and the heat bothers her, so I’m looking at an A/C system.

The one thing I like about the Classic system is that they make one specifically for the 56 Fords, specifically the Meteor 4 dr hardtop in my avatar.
    Those cars are super rare and I really don’t want to chop it up to install A/C.
    Classic’s supposedly bolts in place of the stock heater and goes through the firewall where the heater duct is.
    Not sure on the Vintage but hot Rodgers around here sing it’s praises.
    The knock on Vintage I had heard at Goodguys a couple years back.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y- are you wanting to completely replace heating/defroster and add air or just an under dash Mark IV or Mustang/ big Ford 4 round hole?
    I have a 56 and don’t want to loose the original air vents or controls to them. It’s sad that vintage shows the engine and it’s a late model and not a Y. I want to put the AC pump where the generator is and put the alt in front of the passenger cylinder head but no one shows brackets for that. Keep us informed..... thanks

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I have a Classic Auto Air system in my Chevy II Wagon, and it works great.

j3harleys likes this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

VA has a conversion to use the stock controls in your 56. Not advertised but they have it.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Installed Vintage Air systems in 3 cars:
    Chopped/full fendered '30 'A' coupe; (superb, colder than jail...)
    '56 Cad Coupe De Ville, series 62; (made the Kitty cool as snow...)
    '62 Olds wagon; Insulated w/Home Depot's silver. (Had my doubts, BIG space...Icy.)

I was impressed when the Vintage Air Studebaker 'test bed' was driven to Bonneville, drove thru the traps at 200 MPH+, with the AIR CONDITIONING 'ON'!
    That was one cool ride.
    Customer support, system excellence, but: As @anthony myrick stated, the bracketry/hardware earned some of my 'special expertise'. Minimal addition, easy.
    Vintage Air has earned SEMA awards. My favorite.

anthony myrick likes this.
  15. I do know that Vintage Air is the best working system I have ever used, I used the smallest unit they offer in my '32 sedan and driving it to town todayI had to turn it to low because it was getting to cool in the car.

It was 94 degrees and I'm ten miles out of town.

Our wagon has the biggest unit Southern Air makes and we haveto run it on high all the time, anyone in the back saet on extremely hot days will not be too comfortable.

I was told the Southern Air was just as good, if not better than Vintage Air. I learned the hard way. HRP

rockable likes this.
  16. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Classic Air perfect fit in a 12 volt 55 bird. I've got a Vintage Air in a 2 year OT car.

The Vintage Air is much better. If you want specifics on the Classic Air, you're welcome to pm me before you buy, and make your own decision.

Y-Blokkah and Gman0046 like this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

okiedokie has it right. Vintage Air Get lV Sure Fit series utilizes original controls with wiring and electric servos to operate instead of cables. Why use 60 year old technology in 2020?

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Make sure your original controls are in good condition. The fan speed switch, on our slightly OT Nova was burned up. At the time (pre-Google), I could not locate a replacement lever switch. Life happened and the car got sold off at a loss.

19. Installed both VA an CAA. They are so much alike sometimes you have to check your work to be sure which one you doing. Have had very good luck with both. Only difference on the tri five chevys I know of is the evap install. I've done mostly tir fives. On CAA you need the carpet out of the car to make install easier. Be sure to keep the brain of each away from MSD boxes as you might get interference. Never seen a four door like yours.

20. How dare you question the use of 60 year old technology? Just where do you think you are? This is HAMB land, home of the 'traditional restoration'. It's this type of question that will start you down that road to perdition...

21. williebill

williebill

"Why use 60 year old technology in 2020?" So sez Gman a few posts earlier...........

Considering that we're all on the HAMB, that comment makes me laugh.........

Oops, treed by RJP....

Driver50x and dirty old man like this.
  22. If we were to exchange knowledge the traditional way we would have to go in our shops and fix things while we converse amongst ourselves.

on the thought of real vintage AC, Mr Squirrel had a good thread on using a vintage AC set up.
    a nice underdash AC looks great I’m my opinion.
    The worst part aesthetics wise on new ACs is the plastic vents that come with the kits. There are some nice repro style ax vents available. and some nicer non plastic aftermarket vents. Adds more to the cost. A friend of mine is currently looking for stock AC vents for a 59 Chevy.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Vintage Air Mark IV unit on the shelf ready to install in my '54 Ranch Wagon. I think the Mark IV unit looks like what would have been installed back in the day as opposed to a more modern tucked under the dash unit. JMO.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

WgL%60TCSLCkfNFFjNkKNQ.jpg Myrick, I built an extension for the lower dash on my 60 Pontiac that houses the A/C controls, vents and engine gauges. It also hides the A/C evaporator and ducting from view. You can't see it can you? It looks like a car without A/C. Thats what I meant by saying thats what 2020 technology looks like. Or would you rather be staring at a fugly A/C unit hanging on to the front of the dash? I have to admit I do like the Art Deco look of the unit Squirrel installed.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    olscrounger likes this.
  25. I drive ratty junk. Yours is much nicer looking
    than mine.
    And yes, I prefer the look of the add on style over a panel added under the dash.
    I like automotive oddities like these
    3553B72B-6EE3-4E3D-9422-2AC0AEC76697.jpeg F0C2BCB6-F694-4BE3-AA11-69EFAA1F4EDB.jpeg

I have a Sears under dash unit I’m saving if I ever put ac in something of my own. None of my rides have AC or radios one doesn’t even have heat and has manual wipers.
    If I ever build my merc, I may attempt to use an electric unit like you see on an electric car to keep from having a compressor under the hood and vent it similar to a 50s Lincoln.
    Like these
    68D3C574-6BB5-401B-8EE8-4F9B4F68D3B9.jpeg 5B0FCE81-BB83-4305-9D81-2648216DAC1B.jpeg

My current ride is a short bus and plans are for a mini-split heat pump and run it from an inverter.
    Nothing under the hood and hid under the factory heat unit. Some creative sheet metal work will blend it into the roof for the evaporator.
    The owner of the 59 want his to be similar to this factory set up
    BA19FD65-C19E-43F5-B273-125D1088AA20.jpeg
    we will convert the factory controls and use something similar to the factory vents.
    I have never liked the look of VAs controls. If the owner uses air ride then we may hide the gauges in a modified factory napkin dispenser or in the ash tray.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Myrick, the car I built just before the Pontiac was a 63 Chevy Impala with a Vintage Air Sure Fit Gen lV system whose evaporator stuck out in the front of the passengers seat like a sore thumb. Even the wiring always staring at you as it was extremely visible. Once you install the VA unit in that 59 you'll see what I mean. Chevrolet dash boards do little to hide anything as they don't come down very far and everything is wide open and visible. VA does offer several different styles of control panels. The better they look the more they cost. One of them with the electonic automatic temperature control has a price tag of over $400.00.

27. We will see when I dig into it. I’m not beyond removing the dash and modifying whatever needed to keep things clean. I did that to an OT muscle car and mounted the msd box behind the glove box door in front of the VA evaporator.
    that’s why I stated earlier I do not like their mounting hardware. They place the box where it’s easy for an installer. I place it where it looks good. If that means a notch in the rain gutter I’ll do it.

or remove the bottom of the dash and extend it to keep the factory look. That’s plan B

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have or have owned 4 cars with VA and one with Brand X. I'm putting Vintage Air in my newest build. Didn't even give it a second thought. The quality of the engineering and hardware is much better. A Gen II Super or a Gen IV Magnum (If you have room underneath your dash) will do a great job for you, provided you seal everything up well and insulate everything well.

29. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

It’s a Meteor. A Ford Brand in Canada from 49 through till the mid 60s or so.
    She might be a 4 door, but she’s the world’s coolest four door.
    And God help me if someone runs into it, because there are not more than three or four others left.

[​IMG]

30. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx