Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1963 409 4 speed impala

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by halfsack, Mar 29, 2020.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice for the look. ;)

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. halfsack

halfsack

ok. Time to get everyone caught up. Sorry for the lack of updates, but sometimes life gets in the way. The engine is finished, been fired up on the run in stand, and is now in the car. Hopefully if the 4 speed gods are on my side the driveshaft will show up next week and we be making some noise! Here are some more pict

Attached Files:

3. halfsack

halfsack

And here is a video of the old girl being woke up for the first time since being rebuilt. Doesn't sound too shabby to me.

4. halfsack

halfsack

Actually no. It had normal air. Factory installed in dash vents

enloe, OzMerc39, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

SHE'S REAL FINE MY 409

6. halfsack

halfsack

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the awesome comments. This build is the most FUN I've had in a long time. Plus its truly a father/son build. I cant wait to drive it!!

enloe, loudbang, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Make sure you take us for a ride along. :)

loudbang, Thor1 and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. Awesome sound!!! Takes me back to the 60s when my buddy had one with inboard headers, but the sound was unforgettable.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  9. halfsack

halfsack

Within the next couple days it should be running

Attached Files:

10. 2 of the guys in our car club bought brand new ones in '63. Fun cars.

11. halfsack

halfsack

UPDATE....ITS ALIVE!!!!

enloe, Stock Racer, OzMerc39 and 9 others like this.
  12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Sumbitch is playin' a sweet tune! :cool:
    How about another video with a 7 grand Buzz??? :D

13. SWEET! SWEET! Man oh man!! There is just something about a 1963 Full Size Chevy! Your car would look so cool in Southeast Gasser racing!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. jaracer

jaracer

In 63 I worked at a Texaco station; back when they were full service. We had a customer with a new 425 HP 409 in a black Impala. He would drop it off and have us change oil or wash it while he was at the Office. (the Office tavern was across the street). I liked cleaning it up because I always got a $5.00 tip. When he came back from the Office, he asked if I would like to take it for a spin around the block. The answer was Yes Please. I was taking it easy and about half way around he started yelling and told me to stop. He jumped in the driver seat, floored the throttle and side stepped the clutch. We went back to the station at full throttle and slid to a somewhat sideways stop. He said that was the way you drove a 409. It made a big impression on a 16 year old.

15. loudbang

loudbang

Like how you have eliminated all kinds of unnecessary "Stuff" under the hood. :)

16. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

My sentiments exactly. I could not own one because I would go broke buying rear tires. If I have 425hp, I'm using 425hp! My '50 Ford flathead wasn't stock, maybe 150+/- a couple of hp, and I used every last one of them. I use all the horse power at hand, so I don't own anything with a 409. BTW, I built over 10 transmissions for my '50. But, if a 409 '63 Impala with a 4 speed ever became available that I could afford. . .

Truckdoctor Andy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. halfsack

halfsack

18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAYUUUUUM!!! That sounds KILLER!!! :cool:

loudbang, halfsack and Thor1 like this.
  19. halfsack

halfsack

Ok fellas, its been a bit since I have posted. Engine has been in and out of the car numerous times due to issues. Finally got the engine back in the car, fired up and we finally drove the car. Maiden voyage was around the block and we made it. The 409 sounded sweet, the m22 even sweeter. More to come.

20. halfsack

halfsack

Sounding nice and frisky....

21. Sounds really sweet, love the whine of the M-22.
    Bob

Elcohaulic, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. belair

belair

23. Man Oh Man!! How I love a full size Chevrolet. Beautiful Car! If they still built cars like that, I wouldn’t drive a pickup truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Thor1 and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. Around the block? Damn, you have long blocks where you live! 1963 was a great year for cars. It is one of my favorite years for full size cars, every make made something that was really cool to look at and drive. The horsepower wars were just getting traction and you couldn't wait to go check out the new models for that year. Great car and good memories.

25. 270283

Indiana has some straiiggghht roads!! Around here, a ride around the block would be a much shorter video. Great car, can't wait to see you enjoying those straightaways!

Elcohaulic, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  26. Nice , a 409 and an Impala go together very well. Listening to the M22 it did sound sweet and with lil whine . Did you have upgrades to the trans ? I can imagine your ears were tuned into all the sounds on a maiden voyage . I hope to have my 62 SS 409 out cruising this spring . Thanks for the video . Merry Christmas.

27. halfsack

halfsack

Well, starting to get some miles on the car now. Made a couple small changes with a pair of radirs up front, and pie crusts out back. IMG_20210622_214119_562.jpg

28. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like the "Good old Days" :)

enloe and Thor1 like this.