Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Potvin Blower On A Studebaker V8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 60elky, Aug 7, 2020.

1. 60elky

60elky

I have made serious progress on the Studebaker "Potvin" project. All the parts are fabricated by me so far, in stainless steel. It is actually slightly lighter than if it were cast aluminum. It will be modern port EFI. The block and blower case you see are hollow and are just for mock-up. The casting connecting the blower and block is actually wood in this picture but an aluminum replacement is in the works. The distributor is an MSD off-shore knock-off of an MSD so all MSD components fit it including a rotor you can "phase", (needed for modern EFI). Note, they never made one for a Stude. The 471 Detroit blower will boost the 299 inch motor 7 -9 PSI, modest but we can always bump it up with the next series blower, 672, 871, or? You can see more detail on "Racing Studebakers".

JK

Attached Files:

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Very cool

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. 55zephyr

55zephyr

I do like that!
    good luck, Ron.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What's it going into? Thinking outside the box!

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.

5. It looks better than any Potvin set up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. koolbeans

koolbeans

Very nice. Great for a Bonneville Stude?
    Injection in the top of the blower or in the port? Just curious.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Very Cool!

loudbang likes this.
  8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Very cool setup! One thing to consider that wasn't mentioned is that blower is going to get hot it there's no fuel going through it. On my Potvin setup, it's port injected as it looks like yours is as well, but I added two injectors in the Hilborn hat atop the blower to cool the rotors. Anyways, just an observation. Keep at it and keep sharing the progress.

Tman, Tim, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. 60elky

60elky

Here is the 3D model of the adapter, the key to the whole project.

JK

Attached Files:

bchctybob, Tman, elgringo71 and 4 others like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

I am honored to be on a web board with such talented guyz!.........No shit.
    6sally6

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That's a work of art! Excellent work.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I have no words

Deuces, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Outstanding!

14. aircap

aircap

Two big thumbs up from me.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, beautiful!

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

17. 60elky

60elky

I have made some progress on the project. I had the adapter 3D printed in plastic and it all fits together nicely. I have the adapter out for quote to be machined in 6061 aluminum. Getting closer to spinning it on a motor. "Plastic" adapter photos attached. 20201216_184831_resized.jpg 20201216_184855_resized.jpg

Tman, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  18. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I may own a Stude, but I am far from an expert on this subject. For those that are more in the know... why would the blower run hot without fuel on the rotors...? Aren’t the Detroit blowers designed for a direct injected diesel engine...? Not to mention designed to last 1,000,000 miles...

loudbang likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Any progress?

20. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Compressing the air causes heat. Grab the outlet pipe on your air compressor the next time it cycles off and you'll see what I mean.

In stock form, a Roots blower is doing just that, blowing fresh air into the combustion chamber; it doesn't create any pressure in the form of boost. This is why a turbocharger is added to a "blown" Roots diesel engine; to actually provide boost, which the Roots blower is not doing.

When you take a blower off a diesel application and spin it 3X the speed it was meant to turn, more air is moved, pressures increase, heat is created, and, hopefully, boost. If we spun the blower at diesel speeds, say under 2,000 rpm, it wouldn't need to be cooled, but it would also be incredidibly inefficient, negating its use.

Lastly, any heat created in the induction side negatively affects the engine's ability to make power, so cooling the incoming charge is nearly always beneficial. So, adding fuel through the blower serves to not only cool the blower, but the incoming charge as well, similar to what water/meth injection or an intercooler accomplishes.

Others can probably add to this, but that's my simplified explanation as my simplified brain can put to words.

bchctybob, Tman, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Teflon seals help too.

22. And with teflon seals, they need to be lubricated - so you'll always have some fuel in the hat (top of the blower) - with down-nozzles (port nozzles) as well if you're running alky, nitro, etc.. The other big reason for port nozzles is to have more control over fuel-distribution to all the cylinders. When everything is "mixed through the blower", the air/fuel mixture tends to be pushed to the back of the blower. On modern race-type blowers (think 14-71 Kobelco/Fowler, etc), we have specialized "shoes" in both the tops and bottoms of the blower casing - to help direct the air/fuel flow. On competition blowers, the bottom outlet tends to be a bit V-Shaped and is toward the front of the blower.

Tman and Tim like this.
  23. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

24. Top-Alcohol and Top-Fuel blowers also have special fuel ports in the back of the blower case to pump fuel into the back of the case/rotors to cool everything down. Without the added fuel, things get way too hot back there - the Teflon strips get knocked out of them, the rotors and end-plate will gall, etc..

If I have time, I will post some pictures of some of these "fuel features" for competition blowers that I've had to put into the blower casings and end-frames.

Tim likes this.