Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pcv valve on a 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

D99BA010-D1E4-40E9-8A0C-2470AE33E174.jpeg B6333AA1-02AC-4C7E-96E2-49BC08837ABE.jpeg I posted about the 75$ 283 awhile back and got that 283 installed in my cj5 and running great. If I wanted to use the original firepower valve covers Then I would run the pcv valve off the pcv port from the Holley to the road draft tube at the back of the block right? I have a grommet that allows the pcv valve to fit snug in the road draft tube port. Just wanted to make sure that’s how it was done before I changed the covers.

2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Pressure relief reduces oil seepage and leaks, but Positive crankcase ventilation requires fresh air flowing in, and blow by etc flowing out.

Even the road draft system let fresh air in at the other end of the engine, in a separate chamber inside the engine so fresh air would sweep through the engine.

Get it wrong, and even a real short oil change schedule will have a hard time keeping the nether regions from sludging up.
    Some pretty modern engines have gotten it very wrong.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. slug

slug

That's correct and then make sure your oil fill tube has a good open filter cap.

wraymen and Johnny Gee like this.
  4. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I have the pcv valve ran to the road draft tube at a 90 degree angle after reading a couple threads on here.. now the more serious question. I have a performer intake and valve covers with no holes for a breather.. is there anyway to get around not having the breather without drilling a hole in the valve cover? 0BC72D88-08F0-4D17-9FD6-861A66DBB482.jpeg

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could put an oil fill tube with a breather in the front of the waterneck, like on a factory 283 manifold?

61Cruiser likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I bored my Performer intake for fill tube/breather cap. To answer your question, your going to need make up air coming in. You can't run it closed.

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No breather tube on the intake, and none on the valve covers.
    How did you plan to put oil in the engine?
    KK

8. Get a PCV for a 1965 Impalla with a 283, yes there were PCV's in 65. Go to your local parts store and look for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS V100. I will tread into the base of your carb and you just run a hose to the rear elbow behind the distributor. Works great, you just have to make sure that you have a vented oil fill cap on you fill tube at the front of the intake manifold, since you are using the script valve covers with no holes.

9. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I have a valve cover to pop on it for the rare occasion of changing the oil..

42merc likes this.
  10. you can pull your intake off and drill the hole for the oil fill tube, I have done that several times on performer intakes. I have one on my 39 right now like that.

11. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Thanks everyone! I have a performer on the 283 now so I can use the Holley. Just gonna pull the intake back off and run an an adapter on the standard 283 intake so I can keep the Holley. Then having the oil fill with a vented cap I can run the pcv to the road draft tube at a 90 like I have it now and use the stock valve covers?

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. Outside air will enter vented front cap via vacuum from engine at pcv.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evidently...you can. @jimmy six shared on another post the other day his Bonneville race engine that has a bely driven vacuum pump sucking out the crankcase with no air intake. Purposely trying to fire the pistons into a vacuum. Interesting and unsure about street application but evidently you can run it closed.

Reminds me of a story about a couple yoots standing near a RR track, the elder said to the youngun, "don't stand that close to the rail, the train will suck you off". The younger replied "come on train!". That really wasn't on topic but it is Friday after golf and I have been imbibing.

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Like apples to oranges. But if your street motor is so tired that that much cylinder pressure is bleeding by...

15. Running it closed will cause oil to get sucked up through it at a rather quick rate while street driving.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nailhead Jason has said above how to install a PCV system on a SBC using the rear the fitting in the rear. The PCV valve screws into the rear of the carb and the hose goes to the fitting at the rear. The air needed to make this work all comes from the oil filler vented cap at he front of the intake. If you look those 62 327 rocker covers a lot of us like have no holes. The funny thing is a 62-64 Ford Y-Block is identical to the Chevrolet.
    As for running a vacuum pump in an engine, drag racing has been doing it for 20 years. You seal an engine as tight as you can and suck the vapors out thru a pump and hose it to a “catch can” with a breather. Known to those who use this even put the rear main seal in backwards so the vacuum will pull the seal surface against the crank. I say this to tell the vapors still escape because it’s thru the breather on the catch can. In the photo you can see the pump and hose coming to it from the rocker cover and the one from it to the catch can with the filter/breather on the top. A827ED12-6324-4EE2-9F63-6A10444B095A.jpeg

Johnny Gee and Nailhead Jason like this.
  17. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I spent the last three days swapping a 283 for a 283 had it running just cherry.. just wanted to use the valve covers with no vent. Spent all day swapping the intake so I could and now it’s a leaky terrible running pos I quit

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. clem

clem

pour it down the dipstick hole like we have always done it............

20. Jfriends

Jfriends
    from Charlotte

Jason Jacobs is my hero!! Good tip, ol' Sport.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Back in my younger days working in the garage, this guy brings in his pickup truck in which he had just swapped in a new crate engine and it was making a really weird noise which no one in the shop had ever experienced before. The engine came with valve covers that had a rubber plug for the filler cap. The noise was a result of no air coming into the crankcase.

22. Mimilan

Mimilan

That's how the factory did it.

upload_2021-1-14_11-0-25.png

upload_2021-1-14_11-3-31.png

On my car I just brazed a hosetail to the Cone. [This method still uses the "tomato can" oil separator inside the manifold valley
    The PCV valve on the carb was off a 66 Impala 283 2GC

Doing this, I kept the staggered pattern "script" valve covers unmolested

GlassThamesDoug and teach'm like this.