Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"At the very least, don’t lift until you see the final mile marker."

Probably better staying on it until you pass it. You can see it at least a half mile before you get there.

chryslerfan55, loudbang, Tman and 2 others like this.
  2. Arive at bonneville tomorrow afternoon.
    Travel has been easy with exception of a flat on the hauler, 15 minute fix and we were back west bound.. 20200802_200823.jpg brand new one to boot...

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope you have 3 more. ;) No matter how much I prepared my trailer I always lost at least 2 tires. Never left home without 2 on rims and 2 extra and I only had 4. ... good luck.

Stogy, old flopper, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. Progress report,
    The road was hard on tires so I got 6 new shoes for the hauler 50 miles east of Salt Lake. Blowout knocked the side marker light right off the hauler 20200805_153910.jpg 20200805_153857.jpg

5. Blew a tire, pulled over got out the tire an tools and were back on the road in 15 minutes.. at least that was for the 1st one, we later had 2 more.
    But now we have 6 new shoes for the hauler..
    All is well with the 640 crew and I..

Attached Files:

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully all the bad luck is now behind John. Trailer tires on our enclosed trailers were always our Nemesis.

7. Welcome to the salt...

1825F346-5447-4AA2-8EAA-5EB0BC26E70F.jpeg

It’s record setting time...

2461A2BE-BA17-4BDA-984D-99E65CF84911.jpeg

3CF0B1D9-EB5D-4EF6-9B58-F338B97C9415.jpeg

Dyno Dave, Stogy, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck and stay safe. :)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Fridays update.
    No racing today, racing begins Saturday morning.
    Today we go to fuel and get gas and have the tank sealed. Then back to the
    Pit and prep for tomorrow. 20200806_093254.jpg

10. old flopper

old flopper

Today at 12:25 pm (little after noon your time), can’t make out the Virginia flag over trailer. Which one is ya’ll?
    bflat_cam_current.jpg

Get the feeling we’re tracking ya’ll? Just wanted to let you know there’s a lot of people following how you’re doing and pulling for ya’ll in a big way. Hell I think I’m rooting for you guys more now then I did for myself when I was traveling all over the place racing. :D

Stogy, loudbang, D-Russ and 2 others like this.
  11. Can't tell from the photos which one we are.
    Thanks for the kind words 20200807_150340.jpg

Stogy, loudbang, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  12. All set for tomorrow. 20200807_150340.jpg 20200807_150405.jpg 20200807_103108.jpg

saltflats, winduptoy, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

So....not to beat a dead horse...but...
    Did the tailgate elicit any comment from the tech guys?

loudbang likes this.
  14. That is not the Tech Inspectors job. Theirs is safety. An infraction will only come out upon protest. Cars have run for years on the salt that were not legal then get protested upon setting a record.

gas pumper and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure that horse is not only dead, it's buried.

sidevalve8ba, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  16. Not if he loses a possible record over stupidity
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Now @Druss, I need ya to remember two things, first keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel, second when the time comes (and it will) you can’t drive 55!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

D-Russ, old flopper and loudbang like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t jinx yourself!

loudbang likes this.
  19. More pics from today:
    EDA22FC8-64E7-4963-97E0-C8B20A216A2C.jpeg E17B1283-18C6-4B82-8597-2AEABA87A661.jpeg AC24EF3B-4B48-46DA-8F94-B7594BF82FD3.jpeg

saltflats, Hamtown Al, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

@Tman I know John Mullen well, and I can assure you he's anything but stupid!
    I think he knows quite well what the requirements are on the tailgate and wouldn't have hauled race truck, crew and family members of his and some of the crew almost all the way across the USA if he had any doubts.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  21. I have nothing against John. In fact as a fellow racer that has helped run a Prod truck I wish him all the luck in the world! But, several of us have been trying to open the teams eyes to what very well COULD happen. Why? because we have seen it before. I am relatively new to the Salt only first going in 2003 but Tony JD, and Jim have DECADES of combined race experience on the Salt. Two things I have learned on the Salt are, it doersn't mean shit about any other form of motorsport experience you may have AND, when a Salt vet talks you listen.

gas pumper and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. ironrodder

ironrodder

I for one am tired of the nay sayers about this fine truck. Let the real experts at Bonneville decide and everyone else set down and shut up!

neverdun, Hamtown Al, D-Russ and 4 others like this.
  23. Naysayers? Go read my last post again. Those of us that pointed out the tailgate want nothing more than to see these guys get a record! And records can be taken away far easier than they can be earned. Ask the Salt Cat guys. A few years back they set a record with their Buick straight 8. After a protest they lost the record as their head was deemed illegal. Even though it did not go AGAINST ANY WRITTEN RULE. The wording in the Vintage Engine Class, Section 2.A.1 about cylinder head mods came about AFTER they spent time and money racing and setting a record. Some competitors can be really petty when their record is on the line or has been taken down. But, what the fuck do I know

gas pumper, H380 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If John feels He is correct and has photos/part #’s, etc to back it up on any part of his race vehicle he will not have a problem. When I was in impounds Dan and I would discuss it thoroughly. If a protest was written and the person doing it did not have the correct pertinent information to substantiate his/her protest it was denied.
    I cannot tell you how many grilles, valences, spoiler, under engine panels we have looked at and Dan has made rulings on. Many many times it came to a consensus board ruling on the salt and it was never taken lightly or on “hearsay” or “ I think”.
    I am very aware of how it works because I had to bring a stock 1932 American Austin hood to the meeting to prove I met the rules at that time.
    The production classes are the most scrutinized of all the classes even in the motorcycles.
    I am sure John is prepared and I wish him the best and let this team try to get the speed they are looking for.

25. Sorry we won't get to chat this year.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Go Team Go!!!...Full On Salt Assault...

Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. loudbang, Just Gary and Stogy like this.