Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Court ordered to be sold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Not sure if this is the right section of the H.A.M.B. my 38 ford is in question. I have had 2 appraisals done on the car so far by reputable appraisal companies in NY. My soon to be ex wife isn’t happy with either and thinks the car is worth more and her lawyer is saying we will wait for the trial and the car will be court ordered to be sold. What does that mean??? Anyone go through this before?

2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Court ordered means you'll probably get less than what your appraisals said, and your wife won't be happy, and neither will you.
    It really means they'll set a time limit in which the vehicle needs to be sold, regardless of the price that needs to be put on it to sell it. Sounds like the wife doesn't trust the appraisers and isn't taking into account the market forces that have driven down the price of your once more-valuable car.

Dave Mc, traffic61 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. chopped

chopped

You might want to get a lawyer to answer these questions. Her guy is working for his money.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If she gets half then at a court ordered sale what it goes for regardless of appraisal she gets half. More than likely it will go for less than appraisal so make sure you bid on it, she gets half and you have car.

Good Luck, Pat

5. What it means, in no uncertain terms, is that you are screwed.:(

alanp561, 6inarow, Dave Mc and 16 others like this.
  6. chargin03

chargin03

What does your lawyer say?

chopped, catdad49 and Just Gary like this.
  7. jim snow

jim snow

X2. I wonder if you got a third appraisal.Average them out and gave her half. Would that be satisfactory?jmho. Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Get a Good Divorce lawyer, can make a Big difference. You can pay me now or you can pay me later, does apply! Good Luck.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

traffic61 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Neat car. I wish you good luck. Divorce can be a painful thing to go through.

OLSKOOL57, traffic61, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  11. Sell it now to someone you can buy it back from after. Take the money and set half aside that you will have to give her.

12. I went through all this too. It sucks but it gets better.

13. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

14. I’ve known more than one guy who has had the car awarded to the wife to be sold and she sells it for 100 bucks just to spite their ex. Sell it yourself before she is presented with that option. Hell say you sold it for 10k sign the tittle over to a buddy and give her 5k. When it’s all said and done, your buddy can sign the tittle back over to you, and he spent no money. 401k loans work well for this.

15. Or cut the car in half and let her sell her half

IronFord, 6inarow, Budget36 and 8 others like this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You currently have the car listed for sale for 16k. That means you'll accept 14k? If it sells, how does she feel about 7k? Because that will be her half. What if you sell it to a "friend" for 9k, then buy it back later? I've seen that happen but that can be legally challenged.

The Wife thinks it's worth more? Is she a certified classic auto appraiser or have one on hand or is this just her blowing smoke? How much more? Ask her and if she says 30k, tell her to give you 15k (your half) and she can have it.

If you've only ran the one HAMB ad (w/o a bump), her attorney will call that a token listing and claim you never actively marketed the car for sale/offers.

Your attorney can ask the judge to have a court appointed certified appraiser evaluate and the car and set a price. Hope you have a good attorney, because this could be a slippery slope if you get in the weeds on the valuation of your tools, her jewelry, etc....

Do you want to ultimately keep the car or just want it gone?

If you really want the car, I'd let it go to a court ordered sale, have a friend bid on it (on your behalf). For that matter, is it against the law to bid on your own car at your auction? I've seen owners step in and bid/buy back their own car during no reserve auctions where the car was about to be given away for a low bid.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    6inarow and alanp561 like this.
  17. Seems like a hell of a deal

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks like a nice ride, but not worth a ton. make a buddy a deal, but "reasonable" priced. Ive know of the whole sell for a dollar thing backfiring. then have said buddy put the car in storage and keep tight lips where it is.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@classicdreamer

Any advice you get on this matter on this forum is worth exactly what you paying for it.

Hire a good lawyer with divorce experience and follow his guidance. He is better equipped knowing the local laws and judiciary than well meaning amateurs.

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I've been there man, I feel your pain. I don't have much advice but to talk to your lawyer. One thing I will say. That selling it to a buddy shit, isn't going to work. She'll sniff that out in a hurry and you'll be right back in court.

My ex went after my 34 pickup. Similar story, she was telling her lawyer it was worth $100K! Haha

It's a long story but I ended up keeping it after a hell of a fight.

All said a done. I lost my drive to work on it currently and ended up with a new project to clear my head.

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Get a good lawyer and pray that neither her nor her lawyer frequents the HAMB and sees this thread.

My divorce was expensive, but worth every penny.

22. They go after our cars, not so much for their monetary value, but simply because they know that we often have an emotional connection to them. Some women can be spiteful as hell.

23. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Another point of advice I would add. Make sure you know when it's time to drop the fight.

There's no need paying more in lawyer fees than what something is worth.

24. First and foremost, you will get through this. Do not lean on alcohol or other forms of self abuse. Ask me how I know this if you want and we can talk. As has been said they do this because they know it will hurt you. Selling to a friend can be done but can be risky. Maybe it is time to let it go, cut your losses and move on. If it is sentimental value, well that only adds to the emotional distress that you will never recoup. Contact me if you need to talk.

Thor1, williebill, Boryca and 6 others like this.
  25. mickeyc

mickeyc

Divorces are expensive......because they are worth it!

26. the comments on getting a good lawyer are the best advice for sure. Just remember, if shes gonna be snotty, you gotta be snotty back. Being the nice guy in a divorce is how you lose everything, cars, tools, house. took me 10 years to rebuild from being the nice guy.

27. A good lawyer can make a big difference, a friend went through this and his wife wanted half the value of his hot rods, his lawyer hit her with his client wanted half the value of her new Mercedes AMG.

He ended up keeping his cars. HRP

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It means, quite simply, you REALLY pissed her off. Been there, done that.......

6inarow and williebill like this.
  29. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree. I just sold my 34 and it was 20+ years ago the x wanted a ton of cash. The car was still in pieces and the judge picked the appraiser when it was done it was $900. They were so mad they did not even list it!

48fordnut, alanp561, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  30. exterminator

exterminator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.