Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original Krust-34 Ford shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lil'Alb, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

2. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

A few years back I traded my 157" 1932 BB Truck with dualies for a 34 Ford pickup rolling heap: 2017-02-26 13.37.42.jpg 2017-02-26 13.38.26.jpg

Stogy, brEad, exterminator and 7 others like this.
  3. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

The plan was to clean up the chassis and build up a 59A flatty that came with the trade and a 4" merc crank I got from a friend. I also picked up a decent 39 tranny from the Spokane swap meet 3 years back. (I dont know about you guys but I am jonesing bad for a swap meet).

Anyhow fast forward a couple years now I'm going on it with increased urgency because the injector pump on my old 6.9 idi is showing signs of needing a rebuild. I want to make this 34 my daily driver ASAP so I am foregoing most body work other than welding up holes, cracks, and cleaning out subframes and treating for rust.

Money is tight right now so everything is being done a combination of old school, gas welding because that's what I have available now, 4" grinder with wire cups for rust removal, and lots of rust inhibitor primer plus rustoleum.

I had some 48 ford brake drums turned at Raymer's machine shop Tonasket WA.

Rotor rootered out the stripped 59A block with a squiggly coat hanger and my cordless drill. Got a decent pile of crap out before dropping at Paul's Machine in Oroville WA. Block passed with flying colors, Of course one bore needed to go .060 over so the whole block was bored out to match. Paul said it was his first flathead V8 block with no cracks.

I got new pistons, valves, adjustable lifters, sent camshaft to Delta Cams Tacoma, WA for a Winfield SU1A. I'm running stock 59AB heads, a repop edelbrock slingshot with new $$ made in England 97s.

Running a regular Ford 59AB dizzy and keeping it 6V because I had a battery and
    The stuff laying around. The theme of this project going forward and during this pandemic is using what I have laying around.

Wire wheeled the frame off, repaired cracks and missing rivets, and ran brake lines for the first time ever. I really recommend Matt (Irontrap Garage on YouTube) videos. I learned everything I needed to know to do the brakes from him and HAMB.

Just did the exhaust-wrinkle bends and gas welds 2" tubing from O'Reillys. Low budge and old skool but turned out solid and functional. Cheated a bit because I already had a set of Reds Headers for a flatty so using em up! IMG_20200723_190449_274.jpg IMG_20200723_190521_761.jpg

Elcohaulic, Stogy, brEad and 9 others like this.
  4. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

The master cylinder bracket was a Hamb classified score that I reinforced with angle iron. It was a little cast aluminum An IMG_20200723_190548_979.jpg sen piece but I just couldn't handle how it torqued when I pressed the brake pedal.

5. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Front axle is a 34 piece dropped by "Okie" Joe Casto. He did a great job, and dropped my 37 spindles for me also. I think its about a 3" drop. Removed a few spring leaves front and back. I was really impressed with how nice Spokane Chris' 33 pickup, (the Gumby green one) sat so I'm shooting for that full fendered, bit of a rake.

Rear tires are Coker 7.00 x 16 and fronts are 5.50 x 16. I found some 1940 wheels after mounting the tires on the grey rims, so I will be swapping the tires onto black solids with 1940 standard hubcaps and trim rings.

I used the bench grinder with a wire wheel to clean all the spring leaves, replaced the bushings, greased and painted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    harpo1313, Stogy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  6. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

7. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

"Tanks" gas tank fit in the frame really nice, I am not used to bolt holes lining up like that...Stewart Warner sending unit fit perfectly also.

The passenger car spreader bar needs the bumper tabs cut off and I will weld bed support ears on top, unless somebody wants to trade it for the 33-34 pickup spreader bar I wish I had.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Mattsbidnuz like this.
  8. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Tonight I figured out where the cab mounting blocks went and cut some webbing I picked up at a garage sale to make some frame welting. I made a drawing to figure out where the holes went and it all turned out pretty self explanatory. Right now the body is sitting on the frame until the 7/16x2.5" carriage bolts I ordered online come (the local hardware store doesn't carry 7/16) :cool: IMG_20200805_150732_693.jpg IMG_20200805_151151_391.jpg

Stogy, brEad, Tim and 2 others like this.
  9. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

I am happy with how it sits so far. I can't wait to get the bed and the fenders on. IMG_20200805_194847_241.jpg IMG_20200805_191908_707.jpg

treb11, nunattax, waxhead and 19 others like this.
  10. Cool build man! If you need any small stuff I got a bunch of 33-34 pickup parts up here.

Stogy, ClarkH, Lil'Alb and 2 others like this.
  11. Mattsbidnuz

Mattsbidnuz

Looks good Brian :cool:. You are going to run separate pieces for under the front fenders?

Lil'Alb and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very nice work!

Mattsbidnuz and Lil'Alb like this.
  13. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Thanks! Yeah I'm just cutting pieces to go under where things contact the frame. Not sure how it was done factory. I was just going to cut little pads where the bed cross members bolt to the frame. My dad said his 33 pickup had that beaded fender welting back in the day so looking into that.

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  14. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Also this webbing is like kevlar reinforced nylon, I got it from a retired saddle maker. I have been using a small torch to melt the places I punch holes or cut otherwise it unravels fiercely

Mattsbidnuz, brEad and Tim like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

This is awesome. @Austin kays youll love this.

And I agree tons of good info in @IronTrap ’s videos!

16. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Hey thanks! I'll take you up on that, it's killing me not having swap meets

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  17. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Thanks for the tip on Austin kays, great thread in the '29 I'll be following now

Mattsbidnuz and Tim like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Your build is right up his alley figured you’d both enjoy each others hot rods :)

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  19. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Thanks Tim! I am really digging your model A Tudor build. I noticed you found the spring and suspension restoration as satisfying as I do. I skipped ahead to see your McCulloch plans, man that is gonna be cool! Looking forward to catching up reading that build.

Mattsbidnuz and Tim like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sweet . :)

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  21. Looks great! I did the same with my '34 as far as finishing the chassis. That was 2011...bodywork is still not done, ha!

22. IronTrap

IronTrap

Looks killer! Keep kicking ass! Glad our videos help a little, just sharing the process ourselves as we learn!

-Matt/ITG

23. Man, some kids get all the cool toys! :D Very cool! :cool:

24. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Haven't been posting because I have been working on the OT shop truck, BUT while running around grabbing parts for that I managed to pick up some used rims to try out for the 34. The rears are Fenton Ramrod 15x7 and the fronts are ARE Torq Thrust D 14x6. I need spacers for the fronts but the rears are 5x5.5 bc and it looks like the backspacing should work IMG_20200807_203820.jpg IMG_20200807_203716.jpg

25. studebaker46

studebaker46

excellent job young man built in true traditional fashion lowbuck and old school love it Tom

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  26. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Thanks everybody for all the encouragement!

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  27. Looks like a great project!

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  28. Nice looking build you got going... As with me on a budget build also this heat is killing me this year, MIght have to post my 34 build one of these days. Then there will be 3 34 Ford trucks being done on the H.A.M.B.

29. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Finally got the cab solidly bolted down. Blue masking tape worked well to hold the webbing in place while mounting the cab and it helps to have a long pointy drift pin to help allignment of all the layers. Would have gone a lot faster but the crappy galvanized bolts I bought online all needed to be chased for a nut to fit on. Here is a view of how the blocks and webbing look between the cab and frame IMG_20200810_203326_084.jpg IMG_20200810_202741_336.jpg

ClarkH, brEad, Tim and 2 others like this.
  30. Mattsbidnuz

Mattsbidnuz

Looking good Brian :cool: