Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free car build (Inspired by HAMB Andy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake_Lancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Last signed on here 1/5/2020 - an update or "how ya doin'" or response to these questions would have been nice...

2. Jake's a good kid and is still wanting to work on the car, but the college football thing has taken priority. I talked with him back in October at the St Louis Hot Rod Hundred.

I'm sure that now that colleges have pretty much gone to online classes for the rest of the year he'll have some time to mess with the car.

3. Hombre

Hombre

Listen my thoughts on this. I also think Jake was a nice kid, I am glad he is doing well and I think the football deal is very cool. I also wish the kid all the luck in the world. I also understand what it is like to be a young man and have a lot of stuff pulling you from different directions.

It also looks like he has some folks that are more than willing to make excuses for him, I guess he is not capable of doing that for his self. He started this "build A Car Deal" himself almost three years ago he hasn't been heard from in two years. A lot of HAMB folks pitched in and donated him a lot of stuff or at least made offers when he first got this car. We were ready willing and able to offer him any help we could none of the people making those offers had an agenda, none of them. What would be nice of Jake would take 5 minutes--- surely the boy has 5 minutes, to come and give us an update. The fact that he hasn't done that shows a lake of Consideration, and there is no other damn way to put that. That lake of consideration speaks to Jake himself, it is not who he is, but maybe it is what he is. I hope that is not the case. I hope sincerely that there is more to him than it appears. Weather there is or not only time will tell.

4. 6inarow

6inarow

5. Agreed.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. pumpman

pumpman

So maybe we just chill so this thread doesn’t get whacked.

rustednutz and Peanut 1959 like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its possible that he just got in a bit over his head regardless of all the help available to him and he doesn't know how to deal with it. My thought is to sit back and see what happens.

51 mercules and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bunch of needy old ladies on here...perhaps I should call the waaaambulance.
    I have never met Jake. But I do know, as I have repeated earlier on this thread, that in high school he played football and wrestled, was involved in community service, was in Scouting (and btw, he had to finish all the Eagle requirements before he turned 18 or it was too late so that was a priority), he played football well enough to get a college scholarship to a school 300 miles from home, etc.
    And yet still some of criticize him. Hombre, do you have a dog in this hunt? Did you give him a car or an engine or any free parts? Or does it just make you feel all studly and manly to pick on a teenage kid who is by any measure a remarkable young man? Frankly, if I was him and came on here and read what some of you jerks have said, I'd never come back.

9. So...I’m not really involved here at all and somewhat understand the sentiment. But, one thing I learned a long time ago was to give without expecting anything in return. I’m sure he is busy with other things and even though there were lots of folks here helping, I bet we can all relate to a time in our life where things other than cars took priority. Or, maybe that is just me... I say we give him a break and the benefit of the doubt.

rustednutz, RMONTY, slim38 and 5 others like this.
  10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How many times have guys posted on the HAMB that life has gotten in the way - kids, marriage, health, job, relocation, etc., etc., and it has been months or years since they put any wrench time in on their car?

I will tell you - too many to count.

Would it be nice if Jake would check in a give everyone an update? Sure. But, as all of us know...sometimes life gets in the way.

Jake sounds like a great young man who has an incredibly full life.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

drdave, kiwijeff, slim38 and 10 others like this.
  11. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I hope all is well with Jake and his family. I didn't contribute, but you'd think there'd be some level of communication. I did a bit of Google work; it does look like an O lineman 6' 2" 300lb kid named Jacob _____ was recruited by DII University out of a St. Louis MO HS with the mascot "Lancers". That matches up with Jake's photo with a "Lancers Football" T-shirt. That school is 280 miles from St. Louis. The plot twist is that there is no one on the 2019 or 2020 football roster by that particular Jacob's full name.
    I'm not saying the HAMB should be ghosted, not at all. In fact I'd love to see a quick update, even if it's just a simple "here's why the project is on the back burner" type of message. Two sentences.
    I am hoping Jake is fine and still at that university but I'm concerned that the donors have not heard back.

12. Several of these kids come to mind. Jake being one and Raginpinapple or whatever his name was and his 57 Chebbie 4 door. Alot was given to them by unknowing members here to try and keep the fires going in this interest. I do not think anyone here is hurt financially but maybe will not be so giving next kid that has nothing. Either one may come back and explain what pert of their life got in the way. Either one could be lying in a hospital paralyzed from the neck down or in a coma unable to respond here. Time only will tell if they ever come back and it just leaves us here to either bitch or wonder.

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I live with a 15 year old son. They have motivational challenges. I would never ask for car part donations, because if I am disappointed in his work ethic when it comes to old cars, donors are probably going to be at the break out the pitchforks stage.

Stuff happens. I just hope Jake is preparing himself to be a well rounded, hard working, self-supporting adult in his time off radar. We need a bunch of those.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

I donated some stuff to RaginPin3apple but it wasnt much. Just a cheap set of brake adjusting tools. Cost like $21 with shipping. He just fell off the face of the planet after posting that he was getting into collecting comic books or something. Will it deter me from helping someone else? Nahhh....Hell, I am sure I was ungrateful and shit at that age, not by design or on purpose, just because I was that age. I'll try to help most anyone. I don't base helping anyone out on past experiences. Each individual is different.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I’m sure Jake is doing fine.
    The young man is a Eagle Scout / going to college and playing football.

You guys were nice enough to give a young man a car.

Let’s be realistic here - a very large project.
    Fellas donated here and there and Jake did keep in touch from time to time with life’s priorities.
    Scouts - School - Football - and realistically the car is last.

I have projects from 10 years still not finished.
    I bet most of you have had them too.

That being said - interests change, and its possible cars are just not in the picture for Jake now.
    You think that is a easy thing to admit - after guys have given you stuff ? No.
    Maybe it’s not easy to admit that things maybe aren’t going as planned with the car.

With this - I can see a uneasy expectation taking place.

If Jake finishes it - great .
    If not, so be it - maybe he doesn’t have the money to put into it.

If he doesn’t, maybe some day he’ll pass something on to someone else - from the goodness of his heart- something others shared with him.

Let’s hope Jake is doing well and maybe he’ll come back some time to say hello and catch up with life in general.

That’s more important.

16. I did not donate any material items as you but offered advice from my experiences with those old chebies. I hope that the advice was well founded and used so he could learn and maybe, just maybe pass it on. That is what most feel I hope, is that what we do here will help someone in the future when we are no longer here. Our time on this earth is not indefinite so enjoy what you have be it little or alot. Try and pass on as many life experiences and help someone. Sometimes they just have to learn by themselves like we did. Our parents told us the stove was hot but we had to see and find out for ourselves. Live, laugh, learn, and love. Best way I have found to get through this $hitty old world.

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Quoted for truth!

I do hope the best for Jake and his future, and those others out there that are young and getting started in life who may have to put a car on a back burner for a while to do it. I did, and I made it back around to them.

18. I miss RaginPin3Appl3. His threads, for me, were easily the most entertaining of 2017 and 18. Some priceless stuff there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've refrained from posting on this, because I had suggested my nephew (a young vet fresh out of the service) as the recipient of the car. He's still got the car bug bad and is watching the ads for something he can afford. We talk from time to time about it. In the meantime he's working on an old Jeep, which is his daily driver. I agree with all of the positive statements made here about Jake and I understand how life gets in the way of projects like this, I understand that all too well. Still, I can't help but be slightly resentful that my nephew didn't get the car and I wonder how it would've turned out had he been the one to get it. Oh well, it is what it is and I wish Jake nothing but the best.

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Any updates?Just curious?

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I guess not!

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  22. NoelC

NoelC

I just read all 8 pages.
    Yup...sounds like Jake is missing in action all right. Far be it for me to comment past that, but if I was to comment past that...

A Scout is:

TRUSTWORTHY. Tell the truth and keep promises. People can depend on you.

LOYAL. Show that you care about your family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and country.

HELPFUL. Volunteer to help others without expecting a reward.

FRIENDLY. Be a friend to everyone, even people who are very different from you.

COURTEOUS. Be polite to everyone and always use good manners.

KIND. Treat others as you want to be treated. Never harm or kill any living thing without good reason.

OBEDIENT. Follow the rules of your family, school, and pack. Obey the laws of your community and country.

CHEERFUL. Look for the bright side of life. Cheerfully do tasks that come your way. Try to help others be happy.

THRIFTY. Work to pay your own way. Try not to be wasteful. Use time, food, supplies, and natural resources wisely.

BRAVE. Face difficult situations even when you feel afraid. Do what you think is right despite what others might be doing or saying.

CLEAN. Keep your body and mind fit. Help keep your home and community clean.

REVERENT. Be reverent toward God. Be faithful in your religious duties. Respect the beliefs of others.

23. NoelC

NoelC

51 mercules and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's been 3 years since Jake last logged on.
    Let's just let things be.

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier......

I’m sure Jake is doing fine.
    The young man is a Eagle Scout / going to college and playing football.
    You guys were nice enough to give a young man a car.
    Let’s be realistic here - a very large project.
    Fellas donated here and there and Jake did keep in touch from time to time with life’s priorities.
    Scouts - School - Football - and realistically the car is last.

I have projects from 10 years still not finished.
    I bet most of you have had them too.

That being said - interests change, and its possible cars are just not in the picture for Jake now.
    You think that is a easy thing to admit - after guys have given you stuff ? No.
    Maybe it’s not easy to admit that things maybe aren’t going as planned with the car.
    With this - I can see a uneasy expectation taking place.
    If Jake finishes it - great .
    If not, so be it - maybe he doesn’t have the money to put into it.

If he doesn’t, maybe some day he’ll pass something on to someone else - from the goodness of his heart- something others shared with him.

Let’s hope Jake is doing well and maybe he’ll come back some time to say hello and catch up with life in general.

That’s more important.

panhead_pete, Thor1, drdave and 5 others like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

He hasn't been on here since Jan 2020! I'm sure this is never going to be built.