Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2020 Banger Meet Thread - More of the Same***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jet96 likes this.
  2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

3. Checking in! After the cancellation of F.A.S.T. back in July we had to have our own little Banger meet in the country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dan

Not going this year
    Been tough on jobs and this COVID situation is just not good
    The fire yesterday was bad enough
    J

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John,
    I was going to ask about the fires.
    You okay I take it? Hoping so

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Thanks
    Yes about 1 mile and wind favorable for us

walked out this morning to the fresh scent of burned hill side

better than burning hillside

John

Outback, Jet96, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  7. "You Boys' gonna Drive Me ta Drink'n (if you don't quit drive'n that hotrod Lincoln) Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 2a.JPG

Shutter Speed, Jet96 and mctim64 like this.
  8. perspective, how about flying a jet near high tension lines....... IMG_6260.JPG

9. or, making a drop near a tower..............he is actually pulling up and back away from the tower to get the water closer to the base. Pictorial definition of a HERO. IMG_6288.JPG

Outback, Shutter Speed, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Stay safe.

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The latest in this epic saga:

Dan,

Sand is being printed for your 5 main aluminum block over the next week or so. While that is going on I have to make the boxes for what goes under and over the printed sand. I couldn't do it until solid data was in hand and will still have some measuring to do when the printed sand arrives.

Tod

Stovebolt and winduptoy like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy John, that is to close for comfort but all is well that ends well and the fuel load is now greatly reduced. What a bitch of a way to do it though.
    Yes a hero, that's crazy flying. I'm sure if that transmission tower became annealed with the heat of the fire, there would be yet another unfortunate event.
    I agree, stay safe!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 97

I am pretty sure it is a Motorcraft distributor from a later 60s and 70s English Ford banger ( Kent ) motor, being that you are in the US it may be from a Pinto . I am not sure what they used

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    winduptoy likes this.
  14. brjnelson

brjnelson

97 likes this.
  15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Vacuum advance is good for efficiency,its boosts timing at no load conditions resulting in a cleaner burn during decel and cruise..your rings will like it.

16. railcarmover

railcarmover

that looks like Tyler's T..the stars and bars helmet..

mctim64 likes this.
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

More news today:

I picked up engine block sand this afternoon and I am very excited about the minor process change I decided to go with. I unpacked half the skid to inspect the internals, and tomorrow I will look at the external design and maybe do some preliminary assembly. Can't wait to pour another aluminum 5 main block and an iron 5 main block.

Outback, waxhead, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  18. Dan
    Good news for sure
    I hope this is the one or two

John

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

A beautiful 57 degrees on the way in this morning. Almost like October, the nicest month of the year. When I came in the door, there were the latest engine block molds and cores I had partially unpacked yesterday. Today I will be checking the modified assembly over to see if the new ideas work. These were done mainly to cut cost, ease assembly, and reduce time for the foundry. Some more cost cutting ideas have already come to mind so I expect to make a couple more sand shape changes to aid in cost reduction.

I even had an idea pop into my head that would aid me in an area of production, but I will not be implementing that until demand for aluminum blocks pushes me to try it. It is something I have never done before, but I don't see why it won't work.

This picture is of 2 of the 3 cores that make the entire inside of the block. They will set in, and be surrounded by, a one-piece external mold that makes the entire outside of the block. There will be no core lines or parting lines on the blocks at all. Grinding in the foundry will be reduced to a few minutes. Core shift is eliminated. Mold assembly will utilize only 6 pieces of sand total.

I am anxious to see one of my iron OHV heads on a 5 main iron block. Or, even all aluminum.

What is shown is for 5 main blocks, but 3 main are on the way soon. Made in the USA!

116883290_986728071753869_8939173699406553316_o.jpg

20. brjnelson

brjnelson

Will it make less music when I lift off the throttle
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. railcarmover

railcarmover

Essentially yes,she'll quiet down..I wonder about upper cylinder lubrication with vacuum advance..but then I wonder about alot of things I shouldn't wonder about..

brjnelson likes this.
  22. 97

Jeez that's just teasing , can't even find one of those ( for sale ) in NZ!

23. brjnelson

brjnelson

I think you can, it is the Mallory replacement for the Lucas distributor on the MGA, MGB’s basically all British four-cylinders. It’s really a simple machining project if you have access to a lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. seems strange to me, vac advance distributors had to be connected to the proper port in the carby.
    just an observation...........

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just watched a video about the "first" rat rod . it was cool . the guy worked for roth back when .
    really cool guy ...........

26. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes I would have to brake out of the prewar period correct box I put my car in.
    With a Weber or get Stromberg to make a 81 with a ported vac.
    Is that my only choice?

27. brjnelson

brjnelson

The FAST hillclimb in Iowa is Sept 12 and still planning on running 2020.
    I could not get the flyer to upload.
    I can forward a email if someone can go.

28. Jiminy

Jiminy

Attached Files:

brjnelson likes this.
  29. 97

I wasn't particularly talking about the vacuum advance version, just vintage 4 cylinder Mallory distributors in general. These things are NOT plentiful in NZ , even the early V8 distributor is hard to find . They were never sold here by Mallory, there was never a proper Mallory branch in NZ, our total population was less than 2 million in 1955.
    I would happily use a Mallory for somewhat automatic ignition control, on a car which other people are going to drive .However when it comes to mildly modified street driven Model As , I prefer computer controlled ignition and mixture control.
    That is the computer we all have built in between our ears, with its attached input sensors and Henry's output adjustments. It is part of the experience for me , I like to listen to the engine and , feel the vibration and/or smell the lean or rich, hot/cold conditions ( sometimes even taste :eek:) ... see the smoke ,steam, and gauges etc and make skillful decisions as to where the advance lever throttle pedal, gear lever and mixture control is placed as you are driving.
    Now I realise that drivers have different levels of engine knowledge and judgement and that slow or non adjustment of those parameters can be fatal to a Model A engine , so I do appreciate the use of somewhat "modern" control methods , and that once an engine/car is heavily modified they are even more critical , and that when a vintage banger is seriously upgraded in it's output it will need compatible controls:cool: .

Outback and brjnelson like this.
  30. railcarmover

railcarmover

I have a home made hot rod model A,if it was a motorcycle you would call it a bobber,a bar hopper..rough,bumpy noisy and fun,you have to drive it..no phone or cup holder..