Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shipping suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello guys, I am trying to figure out a method
    to have a Ford Model A motor shipped from the wet coast L.A.area
    to my area, New Orleans. I would need to make the needed arrangements
    from this end of the process. I have not done this before.
    Prior to contacting various freight carriers I would appreciate
    any suggestions someone with contacts or experience may
    offer. Thanks.

2. kb cookout

kb cookout

Have them drain to oil out of it, strap it to a pallet and drop it off at Fastenal, Not sure if they are taking west coast shipments yet

later kb

3. Forward Air also flies out of L.A. to New Orleans.

It's been a bit .. but strapped to a pallet, & shrink wrapped. A BBC block & heads .. from Dallas to L.A. was a hundred bucks in 2012.

Can't remember if that was calculated as dimensional freight, or weight.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thanks guys. I will look into these options.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the best way to find about Fastenal's current outside shipping status is ask at your local to you store. I need to get some stuff from the local to me one in the next few days but I think these guys are still pretty well locked down an you have to order and pick it up at the curb here.

6. Road trip?

lothiandon1940, 34 GAZ and squirrel like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Really?

8. Why not? I've gone a lot further for a lot less.

9. Call the local fast emails on both ends. Make sure they are providing this service right now.
    Or ask one of the guys that ship cars on the Hamb.

you still need to have it drained and out on a pallet.

if you have not bought the engine already you should figure your price plus shipping and see what you can find locally.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

When I had to ship a small block 350 from Florida to Kansas every few months because of a race engine program we were using I used a wood pallet so that a fork truck could load and unload it and then built a box on top of it using 3/4" plywood and screwed the whole thing together. The floor of the plywood box was screwed into the pallet.

The plywood box was also reinforced with 2x4's inside the top and bottom of the crate.
    I used the method over a few years a total of 10 times without any problems.
    I used ABF Freight each time with no problems.

Jimbo

Hnstray, lothiandon1940 and jaracer like this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wyoming Michigan to Albuquerque New Mexico was less than $150 on Yellow Freight or what ever they have become when the merged with Roadway YRC I think. It is about how it is 'coded' or classified and freight density. The Model A engine was crated not palletized. With a pallet, the freight company can't put anything on top of it. you pay for the cubic space above it as well as the floor space it occupies. If it is crated, you pay only for the cubic space it occupies...it is 'denser' than on a pallet.
    I was fortunate that the folks I bought the engine from crated it for 'free'
    You can save yourself $ if you do a pick-up at the freight terminal. Next cheapest alternative is to ship it to (and from) a commercial address with a forklift
    Freight code for boxed or crated engine: Class 70, NMFC# 120790-02
    If it is in packaging other than boxes or crates (such as on a pallet): Class 85, NMFC# 120790-01
    Rule of thumb, the higher the class, the higher the freight rate.
    Call a freight broker and have a conversation with them
    The Freight Dude...877-602-6005

12. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Make sure they attach the engine to the pallet good and strong,i bought a late model motor from a salvage yard 1000 miles away,they had 1 ratchet strap and a bunch of the plastic wrap on it:eek:,when it got here it had 2 broken valve covers,a EGR that was busted off and some broken plastic on the intake,lucky i was able to use the parts from my od motor,tried to get them to re-imburse me,they just played dumb,i gave up at the end.The freight company was just as bad to deal with too. Harvey

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Please expound.

14. trey32

trey32

I drove fourteen hours for bomber seats, then stayed a week for a vacation.
    Wife had no clue the whole trip was planned around two seats...

wraymen, lothiandon1940 and abe lugo like this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have gone thru the maze of trying to ship something heavy and seeing outrageous prices. Friend with a business tried to help me. The company he uses wanted $1,000 but with his discount only $500. That was still too much for what I was doing. Then I found Freightquote.com They give you multiple quotes by different companies and you pick the one that suits you. Since its being shipped to you instead of by you, whatever one you pick will need to have a location somewhere near the person who has the motor. He will need to take the motor strapped to a small pallet or in a crate, to the shipping depot. You will need to know the appx weight and size. A small pallet helps save money. Anyway, I ended up shipping my item for about $220 from Ky to Montana. Whatever you do, insure it. Trucking companies can lose or destroy anything. Have had that happen twice on large heavy items. Get insurance!

Winduptoy gave some good info except I would say that calling a freight broker did not work for me. They sound like they are there to help you, but their prices always were high when I did it. Try Freightquote as its an online thing and you can see the actual quotes on a list. Then you choose......not the broker.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    winduptoy and Hnstray like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Mickey c

From prior threads it seems that to ship Fastenal, you MUST go to the corporate website and arrange your shipping. They will issue paperwork that you take with your shipment and present it to the local store for shipment outbound. Apparently, not all of their stores are shipping points. But all that will be revealed on their website. Presumably, other limitations, if any, will also be made known.

Ray

17. ^^^^^^what Ray has said. All done via the web site. You do not need an acct with them. They will tell you the closest stores that are able to handle the freight on both ends. Payment can be done at either end for the freight charges. A pallet is required, dry engine (any leaks if seen will void the shipment) strapped down securely, and I would cover the shipment with crating or at a minimum a stapled cover of heavy cardboard. Mickey, if you are not computer literate or have any trouble I could do the paperwork for you. Done it a bunch of times, not a big deal..................:)

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think one of the biggest problems is that the people shipping things TO someone often don't/won't put much effort into packaging what they ship. While many on the Hamb are willing to do it right, often the general public isn't willing to spend any time or money to package things securely. One of the two major items I received in damaged condition was shipped 1800 miles to me and the a**hole tried to say we damaged the item when we picked the pallet up with a forklift in a paved parking lot and backed up four feet and sat it down. I had used paypal to pay him....luckily. It was a $2,000 item. Paypal made good on it and settled with him on their own. Don't use "Paypal Friends and Family" to avoid fees because you don't get any coverage when you do that. The problem with my item was because the guy cobbled up a POS crate and the item was top heavy.

The other item was an 80 gallon air compressor that I shipped from Ky to Az. Put it on a small pallet (my mistake) but it was strapped securely and had all kinds of padding up top. The shipping company managed to drop it or knock it over and ruined the Saylor Beale pump and guard. They notified my son before he took it home. Again, luckily I had insured it and they bought us a new replacement pump ($600-$700). We installed the pump and threw the guard away.

The point here is that you are relying on someone who may/may not put much effort into what he is doing. So you might want to pay with Paypal because they will fight for you.....but you need to purchase insurance. With Paypal, your money is protected. With insurance you usually get some of your money.
    Good Luck with your purchase.

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Ive always been able to find a local business with a shipping dock or at least a fork truck that will receive a truck shipment for me for a small fee.

Shipment goes to them, gets set on the floor and you show up same day to get it out their way, set it in your truck with forklift.

Makes things like this more cost effective. And always bring a box of GOOD donuts or cookies when you go to pick it up.

Hnstray likes this.