Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help: Fuel pump stand on Thickstun vs. Slingshot

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mit311, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mit311

mit311

I am hoping someone that has both a thickstun PM7 and an edelbrock slingshot (new production is preferred) can put them side by side top down, so I can see how much difference there is with where the fuel pump stand is positioned.

I want to swap out my PM7 for a new Slingshot intake, but I am afraid that the slingshot fuel pump stand sits slightly more to the rear and my firewall will be in the way. As you can see in the pic below, I already had to section the breather tube to make the PM7 work.

Unfortunately for me, a lot of intakes have the fuel pump stand angled a bit to one side and that won't work with my current setup.

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

The stand on one intake won't be "slightly more to the rear" than another intake. The distance is dictated by the pushrod coming from below. I have seen some clocked differently though, and can't help you with that one. Usually they are straight, but maybe you can find a pic of the slingshot to see if they are rotated.

3. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I have both intakes you are referring to. The Edelbrock slingshot is original and the Thickstun PM-7 is the tall model. Both intakes have the fuel pump stand positioned the same and the height looks to be the same as well. The Thickstun PM-7 fuel pump stand is straight right across however the Edelbrock slingshot intake has the fuel pump stand clocked on a slight angle. The fuel pump will be closer to the firewall on the passenger side of the car and slightly further away from the firewall on the driver's side of the car. The angle is not much, maybe 5 or 10 degrees. This may work out in your favor.

4. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if these help any with visualizing the clocked stand base. New production Slingshot. B41B60A0-227E-4D4E-818A-8F4DC3BC5ED3.jpeg 3FAC4110-D873-41A6-B69F-0769EA78755F.jpeg 2752A5E0-AAD7-47FA-AE5A-2AD8D6CC70FE.jpeg 3FAC4110-D873-41A6-B69F-0769EA78755F.jpeg

5. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops, from the drivers side F5572F0C-35E7-4D75-B1EC-01FB210811AD.jpeg

6. mit311

mit311

Yes, sorry guys I was referring to how they are clocked, as you have already figured out. That top-down shot is great, I should be able to check tonight, but I am afraid it may hit the passgr side of the firewall as there was already minimal clearance. When we sectioned off the back of the breather tube, we had to weld the patch on square. I've been trying to find a pre-war-ish design manifold to replace the PM7 and its been tough. I really like the early eddie meyer manifold, but that clocking is even worse, along with the price tag.

Hmm. I may just have to cut the breather tube off right above the fuel pump and clamp a piece of mesh over it or something.