Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a Don Long funnycar chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34gasser-65AWB, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Here is another pic or 2. The lighting outside wasn't great, but hopefully it'll serve the purpose. There is what appears to be tow-tabs welded to the axle that are definetly NOT original to the axle. The different welding is readily aparrant. However, this welding is considerably better than the welding on the bars that were added to the cage (and the support tubing for the MoPar nose). So there was atleast 3 different people to work on the chassis over the years.

With that said, the welding on the axle and radius rods is absolutely beautiful. There is a fine scallop pattern and the beads are of consistent thickness/penetration. They're just plain beautiful. This would pass for professional MIG work by todays' standards. They almost look like TIG welds, but I don't think TIG stuff was around then?

The welding on the chassis in the spring hanger and the joints between the 2X3 tubing has a different fingerprint, but it's still well done. It's all from 1966 or early 1967, and was obviously not "popcorn" welding done by an amatuer with a stick-welder. The beads are a little heavier than those on the axle, but they are arrow-straight and consistent with a nice scallop-pattern. The spring hanger is also made of entirely 3/16-inch thick plate, so keep that in mind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

OK, this one has been inactive for a while; so I'll stir the pot. I'll not go as far as to draw conclusions between the 2 here, but just keep this in mind: Landy denied a pro-stock car that was thought to be 1 of his when it turned up a few years ago, so the then owner started cutting it to update it since it seemingly didn't have the history they thought it might. What does he find? The too-thin rollcage was stuffed full of Dick Landy Industries paperwork (suposedly to make it "sound" thicker when tapped?). When Landy was re-contacted about it with new info, he came clean to it being his. Come on; y'all know that story.

So all I'm saying here is that stuff like that can happen... This isn't a perfect world.

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

hahahha the paperwork trick is just awesome... keep that car light and put the ballast in the right spots!!

4. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Little update here: I've recently been contacted by an individual who was very close to the "Sensation" Plymouth and had done some work on the car between 1978-1999. There is some updates/changes that need to be made to my postings; as I have gotten new (to me) info that has filled in lots of information gaps about the car during that 1978-1999 period. I'll get it all posted here when it has been properly "sorted out".

Maybe this individual would even care to join in the discussion here? His info sheds some light on changes/updates to the chassis and confirms some very big pieces of the history that have been posted. There DEFINETLY is a Pontiac and Don Long (Yes, that Don Long) involved here.

5. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

OK, it's been a while. This weekend I mated the "Sensation" chassis with my Dodge shell. Everything went smoothly, and I'm probably 1 more weekend away from having everything welded up and solidified.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. dannyego

dannyego

So what's the full story?? Don't leave us hanging! Great car by the way.

7. Primer King

Primer King

Same guy here, new username. Not much to update on this build except that I have my Dodge shell and the "Sensation" chassis solidified. I have the steering gear back in the chassis and it's close to working just as it was. Can't remember if I have posted here or not about my phone conversation with Don Long. Don said that he knew nothing of the history/car that I explained to him; but there was background conversations going on amongst people within Don Long's shop which I could hear clearly on the phone. Somebody within Don Long's staff/help knew the "Bernie Wadekamper" name and knew that he was based in the Washington area and associated with Ed McCulloch.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah I know Reed. He's honest and bleeds mopar hemi oil. LOL. :D

[​IMG]

9. bill dedman

bill dedman

Don Long had a "career" as a chassis builder before his dragsters made news, and before funny cars came on the scene. He built a number of Altereds that were unique in their design and construction.

They were mainly B and C Altereds; I don't remember any "A" cars, but that means nothing; I probably missed some. It was in the period fom 1959-1968, when HydraMatic transmissions were being used behind various supercharged V-8s. The transmissions had a very low first gear that posed traction problems, but if the weight-distribution was good enough, it could be used to launch the cars super-quick. Don Long somehow realized this, early-on, and built his Altered chassses with a coil-spring rear end and a huge (HEAVY) Diesel truck battery between the rear wheels, just behind the rear end.

Unique, for the time!

Cars with those early, Don Long chasses were very successful and won a lot. besides setting NHRA national records.

I am trying to find out how many of these cars were built. It's gratifying to read that he keeps meticulous records. How would I go about finding out his business's phone number; is it listed?

Thanks for any information.

Bill ([email protected])

10. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I know that if Don did any welding on the car you would notice how perfect they were. On a chassis that old, especially a drag race car, I'd bet there have been several different people welding on the car I'd trust your eyes for opinion. Good luck with your car

11. rooman

rooman

Don has been in the same shop for the majority of his race car building career. Right down the street from Isky at 18928 S. Broadway, Gardena, CA 90248. The number is 310 323 4511

Roo

12. bill dedman

bill dedman

That is exactly the information I needed. Thanks loads, Rooman!

Bill

13. bill dedman

bill dedman

Talked toDon Long at length (no pun intended,) today and found out that I was completely WRONG about his history as regards Altered construction; he only built 4 or 5.... and none were as I had thought (C/Altereds with a Blower, which moved them up a class, to "B".) He said it might have been a chassis builder whose name was Ed Weddle, who built those cars I referred to. He was VERY friendly and nice to me; he's definitely one of the "good guys." My thanks to the Roooman for making this call possible (another "good guy!")

Mark Hinds likes this.
  14. Quite a few good eggs on here the rooman is toward the top of the list.

here is an interesting tidbit as far as Long is concerned. Back in the '70s when I was tuning for a fella I met a Don Long that was a mid western chassis builder @ Indy. I don't recall seeing any of his work but we all chuckled as he was not the Don Long that we think of when we think of a go fast chassis. Must have been a pretty common name in the US.

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

My shop was next door to Dons for close to 20 years and I can tell you that the reason he did dragsters is that they would fit inside the shop, there isnt any room for door cars

Mr48chev likes this.
  16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Waiting for confirmation to the origin of this chassis, supposed to be a Don Long. Friend of mine Mikio Yoshioka (Stone T) had an Ed Weddle chassis, completely different. P7260055.JPG

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I know this is an OLD thread, but since someone posted today, I will also. I can't help with your car or the chassis, but the white 67 GTO became "The Olympian", and that is Shelton Dragway, and I looked at that car many years ago, sitting outside in a driveway, sans engine/transmission. The second set of photos looks to be at Arlington Drag Strip. I say build yourself an AWB street car, and don't worry about any names, just make it your own.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Im having lunch with Don tomorrow, will show him the picture

19. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Dre, Pete Eastwood has already shown Don this photo, and i'm waiting for some info from Dons old ledgers of chassis builds. Was wondering if any surviving Don Long altered chassis survive to this day? Since this chassis was never put in service, I need some input to how they were set up. Thanks for your interest in this old set of tubes and hopefully Don will get the info I need for this being one of his creation....Mark Hinds

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

At least I will ask him again. Really doubt any exist or if they do, current owners dont know what they have

loudbang likes this.
  21. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks. I appreciate everything , I just don't want to be a pest. I feel this is a real Don Long chassis, only because the original owner has no reason to fabricate a story for something he gave me. But still hoping Mr. Long can find it in his log book...

22. gt350hr

gt350hr
    from So Cal

I believe the altered wheelbase Melrose Missles were done by Cecil Yother , who drove them. Let's see Brutus was a '65 GTO with a blown 392 and from the San Francisco bay area ( Lew Arrington) as was Cecil . Connection?? There were several period magazine articles on the "roadster" version of the MM. You might try and find some of those to help you.

For the Gentleman looking for Ed Weddle , sadly he passed several years ago after moving to Placerville Ca I believe his son still lives there. He raced an altered for many years and that chassis could be one of his ( by my eye).
    Randy

23. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Randy, Mikio Yoshioka is a personal friend. His Stone T altered was a Weddle chassis and is nothing like this chassis I have. I still believe it's a Long altered chassis, just waiting on confirmation. And once again any and all info is truly appreciated. Thanks Randy.

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Just got back from lunch and went over the pic with Don. Good Gawd what a pain he can be at times,
    the rear end mounting and the front spring perch might be in my style, but not positive. So its a "Positive Maybe" on his chassis without commitment.
    When he sold his business his archives went with it and hoping that the buyer would get a tax benefit by donating them, But its never happened, Dons trying to get them back

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  25. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Dre. This is a step forward, so that is a good thing. But like i've said, I don't want to be a pest. nothing worse than a fly that just won't leave you alone....LOL. Hope Mr. Long get his archives back which would be a good thing for racing industry history. They belong in some sort of racing museum. Thanks again.

loudbang likes this.
  26. gt350hr

gt350hr
    from So Cal

Mark ,
    I know Mikio as well. I made some stuff out of bauxite for the cackler he's doing.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Gt 350, got a first name?

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dre, this person that has possession of the archives, is he approachable with questions about Mr. Longs chassis history?????

loudbang likes this.
  29. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Don is working on regaining access to his records . . .

30. gt350hr

gt350hr
    from So Cal

Randy

loudbang and Mark Hinds like this.