Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 sport coupe subframe = roadster subframe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Niklas sweden, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

Its the subframe the same betvin the 1928 sport coupe and the roadster.
    I think that but not sure?

2. i think you would have a better chance of matching a 28 coupe subframe to a sportcoupe subframe.

if my subframe you mean subrails. the roadster body has shorter doors and a different quarter panel length.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Here is my build thread - check it out

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587868

I mated a sport coupe rear clip to a roadster doors and cowl. The combination is considerably shorter than a stock roadster, but on a deuce frame it works quite well.

let me know if i can help!

dana barlow likes this.
  4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

coupe and sport coupe have different subrails than roadsters. The quarter panel length and door widths are different causing the subrails to be shaped differently

5. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

Thanks guys, can i use the subrails, i change the sub there the doors are, the back sub are the same right?

6. Niklas,
    You CAN use a sport coupe subframe on a roadster, I did.

I have a 28 roadster project in the works with a STRAIGHT subframe that is full of rust holes looking like the proverbial Swiss Cheese (if I can say that to a guy from Sweden LOL).

So, I took my roadster completely apart to remove the subframe and placed it on a flat table I built from a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood. After I had measured hundreds of times to check that it was symmetrical I traced the outline of the subframe onto the plywood.

My intention of this was to have a flat surface with a blueprint of the shape on it that I could use to ensure my repaired subrails stayed the same shape.

Then someone listed a 28 sport coupe parts body for sale with an almost prefect subframe so I bought it, took it apart and set it on my table and the roadster outline drawn on the table matched the sport coupe exactly.

I also set the two subframes side by side and compared the width, shape and contours of each subframe and found them to match leading me to conclude they must be the same part.

None the less, you will need the special brackets that are attached to the outside of the subframe under the door location as these are not used on the sport coupe. (You can buy these new from Brookville and other sources if you don't have them)

As for the difference between quarter panel and door lengths the subframes have appropriate places on their outer surfaces for both lengths of quarter panels to attach and the doors have that special bracket that attaches to the outer surface of the subrail onto which a door sill cap gets bolted which makes the subrail match the roadster doors.

Also, although I don't consider it to be a part of the subframe I will mention that the seat riser framework is different between the two cars so If you are going to use a seat riser you will need one from a roadster (also available new or you could just make something)

Hope this helps.
    Good luck with your project, I'll be watching.
    Gregger

7. alchemy

alchemy

Gregger, he asked that question 9 years ago. I don't think he's still waiting for an answer.

8. Oh Wow: I answered this while looking through Nicholas' posts and I just now realized his question was posted a Long time ago.... oops!

Well...... at least my response will help someone who searches the hamb looking for this answer.

j hansen likes this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep info like this is always good to add I think.

It helps the next guy who comes along looking for answers :D

10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thanks for the detailed answer anyways. Learned something tonight.
    Marcus...