Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nostalgic sbc ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wesley Laster, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I agree , for a period correct build , this wouldn't be the plate form ... but I can try my best with what I have .... the front axle assembly is my only big headache... it screams street rod , no way to hide that ... i may go with a completely different front end later...

-Brent- and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

[​IMG]
    I really like the valve covers. I think you have a good platform with the engine. If it was based on a points system then the valve covers and intake just got you a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. They're pretty useless but they sure look cool!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Wesley Laster likes this.
  4. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I was super stoked to run across these vavle covers ... I'd like to find corresponding air cleaners to match somehow... they have a raw casting finish to them that appeals to me

AHotRod, Nicholas Coe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

alternator in a generator case maybe.

6. Those are expensive but really cool. I'm thinking about adding one to my Graffiti coupe. It would definitely be more 1962 for sure!

7. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

I’ve posted on this thread before and have been looking back to see how it’s progressed.
    I have just finished my early 283 rebuild.
    I kept it real simple.
    +60 bore, cast iron 327 4 barrel intake, Lunati Voodoo cam etc.
    I will run the Edelbrock to break it in and then maybe switch to a tri carb set up.
    I wanted to post a pic to show Wesley that keeping it simple works! If your aiming for a late 50s-60s build just do whatever a kid would have done back in the day on the driveway.
    Your motor looks great and a few simple touches like painting in the fins of the valve covers will work really well. Personally, I don’t like the air filters something like a frog mouths may look tougher.
    And remember it may have left the factory that way but it really doesn’t have to be painted orange
    IMG_3436.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3434.JPG IMG_3435.JPG

A few more 283 pics.
    Btw that’s nickel and not chrome - it just adds a little bit of ‘shine’ and goes well with the black.
    Simple but classy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hrm2k, alfin32, Wesley Laster and 9 others like this.
  9. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Making more updates... I decided to ditch the mag HEI copy, and scored another Splalding/Grant dual coil set up like I ran on my Olds. I was impressed with the durability and simplicity so after a few days on repaint and a coming time on a tune machine (and Bubbas instructions) hope to have this in. I did a few searched for "correct" plug wires I was able to get Packard 440's with Rajah ends.
    HAMB.jpg

10. Todd553

Todd553

Not ideal for the street, but Hilborn with a Joe Hunt magneto.
    thumbnail_IMG_0160.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0161.jpg

11. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Well this as good as my pretend hotrod motor is gonna get right now ... ill eventually swap out the starter and the alternator bracket ...maybe a few other things ... but over all I'm pleased with it 20200429_184223.jpg 20200429_184211.jpg

AHotRod, alfin32, Just Gary and 10 others like this.
  12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Great looking Engine.
    I am always partial to the Corvette valve covers.
    I have the 7 fin valve covers on engines but I always wanted the 9 fin versions.

The valve covers that you have on your engine are awesome.
    Your intake and carbs look great as well.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  13. I think that is one beautiful engine. Great work. The only thing I would change would be the air cleaners. They don't really scream vintage to me.

Speedtwin and Wesley Laster like this.
  14. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  15. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

16. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Correct 1959 Engine. Except air cleaners are 57 DSC06825.JPG DSC06827.JPG

tractorguy, i.rant, alfin32 and 12 others like this.
  17. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I agree ... im not a huge fan them to begin with either ... ill be looking forward to finding some at a swap meet , after all this drama goes away

31hotrodguy, enloe and Nicholas Coe like this.
  18. Great idea! A little bit of patina can go a long way to give an engine that "real" Hotrod look. I like to try to find original parts whenever possible. If you saw my yellow abomination in person you would think it was a much older build.

19. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

so how do I post a video here ???

20. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

21. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Got it all ready for the road , double checked stuff , slipped in the new driveline ... got all excited for its first drive and BOOM ! L/R carb starts leaking fuel like its the thing to do ...

Think its the base to bowl gasket ... dang it

22. jnaki

jnaki

FROM EARLY 2020
    Hello,

Posting videos on any website can be hectic, but it seems like the only way to post on any site is through a You Tube link. Trying to directly upload your own digital video does not work on any site that I have tried, so far.

You Tube is very easy and simple. You create your own channel with a real name, fake name or company name or???? Then once made, it is on the giant You Tube channel site everywhere. (even on the streaming channels of your smart tv.)

Here are a couple of step by steps for you to follow. The new thing on You Tube in creating videos is that question..."is is made for kids?" Most automobile uploads should be clicked as "not for kids." That makes it simple and uploads faster to your channel.

Jnaki
    Good luck and PM me if any other help is needed. remember, any mistakes uploading and once uploaded can be deleted and a new video uploaded into place. Nothing is final. Use the edit button.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/posting-videos.1136810/#post-12919601 YOU TUBE UPLOAD

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...uick-build-right.1111811/page-2#post-12676988 YOU TUBE GETTING STARTED

upload_2020-8-5_4-51-46.png This SBC is very nostalgic. Built in 1960. Our version was a similar look with a new Isky-Gilmer 671 blower set up for our 1940 Willys Coupe. It had all of the blower spec parts and accessories. It ran great, but was not a daily driver street motor.
    upload_2020-8-5_4-54-34.png The complete motor is somewhere in the Midwest, as it was sold in January 1961.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  23. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Thanks !!! I'll give the u tube thing a try ... i scored about 60 mags that range from 1960 to 1967 , so it'll help discover new idea's

jnaki likes this.
  24. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I merely posted some progress I have made after I had achieved my goal with the motor ( thanks everyone by the way , all the input helped greatly.
    And it gets deleted becuase of a picture of my dash was billet?? Really!! Thats not kool . Pictures can inspire others , give idea's, ect..

I bet if it was one of these billet dashes, it would have been fine ... see pictures..

Screenshot_20200805-061340_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200805-061414_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200805-061438_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  25. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I'm not a fan of the carb tops either... i did land some of these at a flee market for 80$ for all three ... ordered the 4th from O'Brian Truckers.

I will later on swap out all the chrome on front of motor for natural finished alloy . I'd like to go with the gen/ alt , but its on the pricey side right now . 20200727_172205.jpg

31hotrodguy, alfin32 and Speedtwin like this.
  26. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

These valve covers , yes.

27. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Wesley Laster and Nicholas Coe like this.
  28. 2935ford

2935ford

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

30. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

The guy I got the motor from couldn't remember, so im not sure .... and to top it off , when i had the front cover off , I forgot to check .. thanks ! Yah , it sounds amazing to me too

Blues4U likes this.