Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5 spoke wheel ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. I bought these today....probably Aluminum...to cheap to pass up....though I admit they somewhat look like maybe possibly magnesium? I can't really find an exact match to who the manufacturer might be judging by the center cap? I'm not coming up with any matches to the wheel either. Any of you guys got a clue?
    Screenshot_20200804-212013_Instagram.jpg

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Beware the steel wheels with an aluminum spokes. Kinda looks like one. Can you see the back side?

bowie and Moriarity like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like there is a notch at the back side of the valve stem. This would be an insert type if it is.

chevy57dude and Moriarity like this.
  4. If that is a ‘K’ on the centre cap- they are old Keystone’s and likely just aluminum with a painted center

5. SR100

SR100

Rotated the image, they are T/Ts:
    upload_2020-8-5_4-24-34.jpeg

That was the JC Penney brand back in the day:
    [​IMG]

Tim and Deuces like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-5_4-12-1.png upload_2020-8-5_4-25-36.png upload_2020-8-5_4-25-50.png
    Hello,
    Originally, they look like T/T, not Keystones. Back then, there were a ton of copycat manufacturers of the original American Racing 5 spoke wheel. Some looked good, others did not. This one that you have seems a little too old. It might have tons of internal fractures from the old days and hard running. Back then, if anyone bought used "mag" wheels, they were taken to a custom wheel shop that had the capabilities to check for any cracks or fractures.

It is a nice find, but it looks like those wheels have been sitting outside in a So Cal beach community with years of abuse and nightly salt air covering everything. They are your wheel finds, but they might be better polished up and used as a table base, including a different cap that most of us can recognize.

Jnaki

There are companies that can test those wheels for any internal non-visible cracks. That might be worth the effort.
    It might be worth checking out the history of the company that made the wheels, if possible. Some big name manufacturer could have made "copies" with slight differences for a mass produced sales to different companies.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

They look just like the JC Penny wheel "Trac-Tamer" right down to the pop on cap. Although they look a little wide for the size listed in the ad, possibly they are the AFX one piece wheel. Let's see the back, are the one or two piece.If they where that cheap you can use them to roll cars around or a hose holder or wall art.

Pat

LowKat likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

I thought the T/T wheels were made by Timmy Thompson, Mickey's younger brother.

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and 1934coupe like this.
  9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Alchemy LFAO!

Pat

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Phttttttttt :p Terrance Turnstyle silly.

There were a lot of five spokes being sold back in the '60s and '70s. Some of them were all made by the same company and branded for whatever store was selling them. If they are a steel wheel with an aluminum center they are going to be heavy (compared to similar wheels of the era).

Here is the joke behind the off brand wheels on the '60s and '70s. In '70 (I remember shopping new wheels that year) you could by new in the box genuine Americans from JC Whittney for 27 dollars a pop (plus shipping). I didn't get some but one of the kids I went to school with had a set shipped to my house. They were really true Americans.

SR100 and Hnstray like this.