Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Only if you help clean my garage the way you did yours. :) Nice job!

brEad likes this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

as for the 33 chebby hood, ask a chebby guy, got a 3rd tier spare from one...

loudbang likes this.
  3. Started working on the fuel line.
    First time ever working with aluminum tubing....Easy to work with but almost feels too flimsy and more wore work than Stainless to get it right.

Tight fit at the fuel tank , especially with the upholstery panels on.

thumbnail_IMG_6229.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6230.png

oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  4. Took a brake from the fuel line since I am still missing my inline fuel filter and holding bracket.

Picked up my top irons and after some elbow grease they came out nice.
    I am still not sold in the yellow I picked for them....I might change it to greener hue yellow. I am hoping to contrast the tan canvas top.
    I will be using a german canvas tan top and would like a nice contrast to them.

thumbnail_IMG_6232.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6233.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6243.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6244.jpg

How about a before and after
    thumbnail_IMG_6245.jpg
    BEFORE

thumbnail_IMG_6232.jpg
    AFTER

5. Had a chance to pick up my rear window frame and shifter from getting chromed and powder coating.....looks really nice!
    Still no word from Rottlieb on the hood :-(
    Plan to continue working on the fuel line this weekend...

thumbnail_IMG_6258.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6259.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6260.jpg

6. Got the fuel line almost done...
    Had to build a bracket to hold the inline fuel filter. This filter is a 40 micron one with a 1-1/8:" diameter....most brackets I found out there were made for 1-1/2"-2" filters.

thumbnail_IMG_6261.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6262.jpg

After a lot of bends and 2 attempt later....she is done...for now, at least.
    3/8" Fuel line from the fuel tank to the inline filter
    thumbnail_IMG_6263.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6264.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6265.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6267.jpg
    I kept all the plumbing in the same location for easy access and maintenance.
    After the fuel filter, I will drop to 5/16" to connect to the flathead fuel pump. I first have to locate a few more items before running that last line.

7. Hood is finally here! Looks really nice.

thumbnail_IMG_6272.jpg

No more flap on the side.
    Time to start fitting it in...It will need some trimming, not a plug and ply as I expected.
    It will need about an 1" off the length.
    thumbnail_IMG_6273.jpg

8. Busy at work but took some time off and started tracing my cuts
    I am removing 1/2" off both ends to keep louvers centered.

thumbnail_IMG_6275.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6276.jpg

9. Hated the idea of cutting on a brand new hood....but not too many choices to choose from
    Needs some more trimming and a bit of welding....One step closer.

thumbnail_IMG_6296.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6297.jpg

10. Hood is fitted for the most part and locking mechanism figured out.
    I still need to add a piece of tube on each corner of the firewall and radiator shell for the rod to lock into.

thumbnail_IMG_6316.jpg
    Simple 2 washer, spring and knob mechanism.

thumbnail_IMG_6314.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6315.jpg
    Does the job. Holds it nice and tight

It sure has come a long way....
    IMG_2485.jpg
    Before

thumbnail_IMG_6325.jpg
    After

Next on the list is to finish the last of the fuel line, continue with some of the body work and figure out my electrical.

11. Looking good there! I like your hood latch idea.

loudbang likes this.
  12. theone

theone

I want to see the canvas on the top already. Lol

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

love the before pix you tossed in !

loudbang likes this.
  14. Thank you. It works great standing still. Not sure how good it is going to hold up at high speed but it should be fine.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Stay tune. The goal is to stitch my own top but need to find a pattern first. Looking for any take off or anything I can get a template.

16. It is nice to see where I started with all of this.
    The day that it was delivered to my house, all of those parts were scattered through out the front yard.
    I wish I would have taken a picture....it looked like a bomb had gone off underneath the car and it was blown to pieces.

brEad likes this.
  17. Not a lot of progress to show...A lot of planning going on...
    I've been busy at work and with little time to spend in the roadster; however, I've been working behind the scenes trying to figure out the electrical....
    I am electrically CLUELESS and that has been a long learning curve but thanks to Crazy Steve, Rich B, and other HAMB members I am moving on the right direction.
    I am using the '32 Column drop and a push on/off button for starting.

The plan is to build the harness from scratch using cloth braided lacquered wiring, 12v, negative ground. I will be using the same color coding for the wires as a stock '30 Model A.
    A pretty bare bones system, Head lights, stop lights, license plate light, 1 fog light, turn signals, horn and gauges....That's it! No radio, no hazards no electrical fans or A/C

First on the list was the battery location. The trunk was already too busy and the idea of fuel and electricity next to each other wasn't appealing to me. I decided to mount it under the seat. along with the fuse panel. Easy access and maintenance. Circuits were half way in both direction so it felt right.
    I figured an Odyssey PC680 battery would do the job, that is until I measured it, and realized it was 1" too tall when laying flat.
    I was advised to sealed the battery, due outgas of corrosive fumes, and keep it sealed from the fuse panel as well.

With both of those things in mind, I fabricated my own box...

thumbnail_IMG_6459.jpg
    Sealed on top. Rubber seal around the flange will keep it environmentally sealed.

thumbnail_IMG_6460.jpg
    Opened on the bottom for ventilation

thumbnail_IMG_6457.jpg
    I will have good room for the PC680 to sit in

thumbnail_IMG_6461.jpg
    Yet, everything will be sealed inside. Fuse panel will sit off to the side
    Seat springs have room to move and the sealed top will keep it safe.

thumbnail_IMG_6462.jpg
    No interference with the driveshaft. I have about 1/2" to 3"4 clearance to it.

Off to powder coating it goes. I was told powder coating works well resisting battery corrosion.

I ordered my 1st round of wiring form Tom's Engine Barn....They have some of the lowest prices I found
    Waiting on electrical components and fuel panel...

Electrical, To be continued...

18. Wiring from scratch can be a challenge for certain for anyone let alone for a first time virgin:rolleyes::):)
    Given your tenacity with this build you probably have already thought out the marking process of all those wires but just in case most all electrical houses have products similar to Thomas Bettes (sp)
    that provide sticky number id tags that are small and may be attached to the wires for ID purposes that tie out to your wiring diagram. Very helpful especially later on when chasing down any issues.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thank you. Those sticky ID tags are a good idea.
    Wiring is challenging for sure. I've been dreaming or wires, amps, and voltage drop for a few days now :)

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

adheasive #s are the norm for electricians... local shop had them cheap...
    you get 3 or 4 of each #... 1 to 50 or 100 or ?
    black on white about 3/16" square …
    extra #s are nice...
    you can label the wire end, the panel and the map on the panel cover...

loudbang likes this.
  21. Today, I had some time off and was able to finish the last of the fuel line.
    Last minute change, I decided to run the last line in 3/8" instead of 5/16. All fuel line is now 3/8" and used a 6an to 1/2-20 I.F. and connected to the original '48 Ford fuel hose line, which will connect to the fuel pump.
    It is a tight fit but got it done and I think it will work better.

thumbnail_IMG_6486.png thumbnail_IMG_6478.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6477.jpg

Revised both fuel and brake diagrams to show my final lay out.
    For now both are done until I can run it and see if they work....
    thumbnail_IMG_6480.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6481.jpg
    Fuel Line

thumbnail_IMG_6482.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6484.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6483.jpg
    Brake Lines

22. I haven't updated the cost/time of this build in a few months and I have received a few requests to do it, so here it goes.

As of today,

I have spend $21,950.70 in parts. That's with all the buying and selling of parts.
    I have spend 545 labor hrs in total, since I stated in late 2017. Using the $50/hr average I been using the beginning... that is $27,250 in labor
    Materials such as MDF, primer, body filler...$660.18

All in.....$49,860.88
    If I don't count in the labor part, which I don't. $22,610.88

Thus far in 2020, I have been able to dedicate 239 hrs....more hours than what I did in 2019 or 2018. Mostly, I was able to spend more time due to COVID and working from home.

The amount of money spent is starting to sound like a lot of money but I am still very happy I am doing it and completely committed to finish it...even if it breaks the bank!

For those of you following the ledger...

thumbnail_IMG_6487.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6488.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6489.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6490.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6491.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6492.jpg

23. Donor fuse block arrived. Not bad for $29 with free shipping.
    I don't have the experience with electrical to judge it but I am impressed with the quality of the harness as is.

Spent sometime running power through the wires and understanding the layout of it
    A small flat head screwdriver made removing the contact points super easy

thumbnail_IMG_6499.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6500.jpg

...and here it is...the foundation to the harness I will be building....most of those fuses are rated too high so they won't make the final cut.
    I still need another relay, some terminals, more wire, and the fun begins....
    thumbnail_IMG_6501.jpg

24. Gas pedal and battery box are back from chrome and powder coating....looking good!

thumbnail_IMG_6519.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6520.jpg

Today is one hot here in LA, so rather than working on the roadster I opted for starting to restore my Stat 700 turn signal switch.

thumbnail_IMG_6521.jpg
    It is pretty complete but it has definitely seen better days. I will be fully rewiring it but that will be a later time.
    thumbnail_IMG_6522.jpg
    Took it all apart...sand blasted it and started working on the front plaque.
    thumbnail_IMG_6527.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6532.jpg
    Before

thumbnail_IMG_6531.jpg
    After

25. 33Doll

33Doll

I wish I was that organized.
    You have nice hand writing!
    Mine looks like a Toddler on Starbucks!
    I can’t even read my own hand writing!

So far I just put it in my notes on my iPhone, but a book would be nice!

loudbang likes this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

not my best skill... but if you make a harness and don't plan on using it this season, tape all wire ends with masking tape labels inside ziplocks…
    made a harness years ago, for a buddy's '32 truck, when he got around to it the squirrels had eaten all the labels for the glue on the back side...
    couple days with a tester and he was ok....
    I like to use a '70s seatbelt buzzer with a couple alligator clips as my tester...
    [don't lend it out, its the most non-returned tool I have ever lent out]

loudbang, brEad and Algoma56 like this.

27. Thank you.
    Those iPhone notes come in handy. I use them to take notes on how things go together.
    Like the rear deck....I need to bolt the driver side first or else if I bolt on the passenger side first the drive side will a put a fight and it take forever to go in. I am sure after I paint the car it will come on handy.

28. That's a good point!
    I plan to run most of the harness to make any holes I need for grommets and grounding bolts but then I will remove and will put in storage until the car is almost ready for final assembly.

29. Continue to wait for electrical parts...in the meantime, I am preparing the turn signal switch.

Out with the old....
    thumbnail_IMG_6562.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6564.jpg
    I cut away the light bulb contacts to make room for the LED lights
    I will be using 6mm surface mount LEDs from Oznium.

thumbnail_IMG_6563.jpg
    Left the bulb housing intact to make modifying it easier

thumbnail_IMG_6565.jpg
    Epoxy glued finish washers to the top of the bulb housings to give the LEDs a surface to mount.
    They fit perfect over the bulb housing and diameter is also perfect to fit the original cardboard covers over them once completed.

30. In with the new...
    thumbnail_IMG_6571.jpg
    Finished wiring

thumbnail_IMG_6567.jpg
    LEDs mounted

thumbnail_IMG_6568.jpg
    Cardboard covers fitting as they should.