Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Timing Gear Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eric Satterfield, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sorry Eric,,,,that is terrible .

I am assuming the trucking company is the one in the pics background ?
    YRC,,,,,,Yellow, Roadway,Consolidated ,,,,,a union shop .
    I hope it works out okay for you .
    Looks like he had it on a good pallet,,,,,,but without any extra boards to stabilize it .
    Like one of the guys said,,,,,these get loaded and unloaded many times from several trailers ,,on several docks .
    It all goes to the skill and patience of the forklift driver,,,,and the packaging .
    Good luck man .

Tommy

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  2. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

It was shipped by Yellow Freight.

3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Wow what a shame. I’d be curious what it looked like when it left the sender. I would have had it supported better and bolted to the pallet and completely boxed even if it were a sbc not to mention something like a flatty. But I’ve seen well crated stuff destroyed in transit and re banded like that. So I guess we need to figure out what’s goin on with the original issue.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

My plan now is to replace the timing gears and distributor gear on my engine and I guess run it until it either blows up or these things possibly cure the problem...I'm out of money and patience..

alchemy likes this.
  5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Eric,
    Just read thru this and sorry about you bad luck with the replacement engine and the damage it received.

I’m guessing nothing has shown up yet on your original motor.

I have shipped engines and transmissions all over the place and secured to the pallet (bolts and brackets) along with a box around it is the only way to ship stuff. This 392 hemi went from Connecticut to Idaho and arrived 100% intact

Good luck with the flathead, I love mine 276” in my Model A

Cliff Ramsdell
    40ADFEFF-D2E7-4902-A290-AD3F916E61A2.jpeg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I have most of the original engine cleaned back up and ordering the 3 front gears this evening. I hope this solves the noise issue. If it doesn’t I’m not going to continue to be concerned with it till something decides to shows itself. I built a suitable platform to return the new engine to the seller.

Attached Files:

7. banjorear

banjorear

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the damage.

8. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Hi Eric, just one more "to check" item, make absolutely certain that oil-galley plug is not hitting the back side of the timing gear?? Ford used a "flat-faced" plug in that hole!

It appears to be protruding too far out, I would put in a shorter plug or take it out and grind it down some on the front. Just leave enough room to get the Allen wrench in to it!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. That last photo you placed there gave me the idea about the plug depth? I do hope you have a better run of "luck" in the future, after a while it gets "defeating" some??

Desoto291Hemi and dirty old man like this.
  9. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

New gear mesh. Offenhauser packaged gear set. Same part numbers as what was in it before?? All hopes of noise elimination.

Attached Files:

10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

That looks better. :)

dirty old man likes this.
  11. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

I'm not a flathead guy yet (I'd like to be) but with the engine previously running like a dog, I'd degree that cam before I buttoned everything up. Also, I'd spin the motor to test the "hanging valve" theory offered several times.

And unless I was completely certain, I'd keep an open mind that the sound could be from the C4. A bad pump could cause all kinds of issues, as could the flexplate clearance etc.

12. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

I just read about your problem. Before you put your engine back , check the flexplate very carefully
    around the bolt holes. I had mysterious knocking sound that I tried to find with stethoscope and all
    and when I was kneeling down I heard that it's actually coming under the car. Off goes the engine and
    I did see hairline cracks under the machined spacer which is welded on C4 flexplate on these kits. New flexplate and noise was gone...
    Just one thing to check.

13. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thank you all again for your knowledge and experience. I fired it up this evening and the ticking is gone. Only thing I hear now is normal tappet tap which is barely audible. The items I replaced were the cam and crank gears crank oil slinger and distributor drive gear. I also replaced the crank pulley with a new replacement. All hopes it stays this way. Thanks everyone again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear it's fixed and thanks for coming back with the outcome and the solution.

16. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

may I ask what heads and intake you went with on your flathead?

17. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Mint, sorry for your misfortunes but happy you were able to get it running again.

19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

20. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Eric,
    Have you had a chance to drive the car yet? How is the performance now that things are back together?

Cliff Ramsdell

21. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I’ve driven it about 50 miles since I reinstalled it. The problem is I have nothing to go by on it’s it performance. I live in rural West Virginia which is one hill/mountain side up and down the next. I drive a Hemi Ram 1500 daily. The wife has a super charged Jaguar F Pace. The only thing I’ve ever owned home built performance wise were Chevrolet’s big and small block. The car pulls the hills ok and will stay with 2 lane road 40-60 Mph traffic. I still feel this car is a slug. But perhaps I’m expecting too much? From a dead stop it’s a pig. But I’m sure much is due to being an Auto/3.50 gears/ 8.20-15 rear tires.? So far the noise has not returned. Thanks Eric

Attached Files: