Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Progressive Carburetor Linkage?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike A Model, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Mike A Model

Mike A Model

Currently, I am installing a new intake manifold and distributor on my 8RT engine. The intake manifold is an Edmunds 2X2 where the generator is installed ahead of the carburetors. The leading carburetor is close to center of the intake with the second closer to the rear. I am installing two factory rebuilt Stromberg Large 94 carburetors. Installing the 2X2 intake manifold requires the replacement of the existing Load-A-Matic distributor with at Mallory 8BA duel-point mechanical distributor.

Ok, now the question I am asking for your advice. Should I install a progressive linkage or run the carburetors in unison? I am leaning toward the progressive because the leading carburetor is close to the same location as an original intake. This would enable me to tool around utilizing the single 94 and only use the second 94 as needed. However, doing my homework, I have read numerous articles/comments saying that a 2X2 setup runs best when the carburetors are linked to run in unison.

This is my first time running a 2X2 setup, so your experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Stromberg doesn't make a 94, there is a Holley 94 or a Stromberg 97 only.
    Holley uses a vacuum power valve and Stromberg uses a mechanical one. This matters because dual Holley carbs will be splitting the vacuum signal and you may have to dicker with different power valve sizes, or in some cases, eliminating one of the power valves in a dual carb setup.

As far as linkage, I've done a 2x2 progressive with Holley carbs and done straight linkage with Stromberg carbs. Both worked out well. You can experiment with both and see what you like best. Most all manifolds have equalizing tubes so you really won't be starving any cylinders either way, and carburetor distance makes little to no difference on feeding cylinders. Just look at any straight six manifold and ask how the furthest cylinders get fed.

jockeyshift41 likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Have you felt around to be sure all cylinders will feed off just the front carb?

I have a 2x2 intake with Strombergs on my sedan and they are hooked in unison. Works just fine, low speed to scary-as-it-gets speed.

BJR likes this.
  4. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Straight/Direct!

5. Mike A Model

Mike A Model

My mistake the carburetors are Stromberg 97, thank for the correction.

6. BJR

BJR

How scary can a 140 HP flathead get?:D

G-son and triumph 1 like this.