Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rooman

rooman

2. noboD

noboD

Did you notice the antenna is on the other side? '66-'67 grille, '65 emblem on the back.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope... Missed that one! :oops:

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Even if it is a mutt it doesn't matter. It's one more oldie on the street. These shots
    were taken at an open house put on by Corvette Mike's in Burr Ridge, Illinois. I knew
    what to expect before going and I wasn't surprised when I got there...late models
    galore. When I saw this one I stepped quickly before anyone could get into the pic.

5. loudbang

loudbang

1964 Chevrolet Corvette (RCA 398B) 6500cc Chas Mallard CSCC Classic K Donington Park 2019

hot58 1964 Chevrolet.JPG

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That is SOOO cool!

Pat

7. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Personally, I'm glad that the front bumper treatment got lost before production.

8. noboD

noboD

Agree, but it looks pretty much like the '68 - '72 bumper.

Bowtie Coupe, Deuces, enloe and 3 others like this.
  9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

You're right, they are similar. Perhaps that's part of the reason that I've never been sufficiently motivated to own a Gen 3 with either chrome or plastic bumpers.

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

8EAF0B3C-61FD-4EAB-B56A-9876A3DEBA70.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    mkebaird, 41 coupe, loudbang and 14 others like this.
  11. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Is that the car that became known as the Widabeast?

This car is just plain gorgeous!

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dan yes it is Wildabeast and it is one of my all time favorites as well-like the picture too.

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the '62 Vette's looked like this from the factory, Chevy would have sold a Shitload more!!! :D Damn, that car is absolutely perfect!!! :cool:

Chuck Norton, enloe, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Anthony is that a concept or Italian designed build.

Pat

loudbang, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. loudbang, Deuces and 1934coupe like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Is there anymore pictures of this car on this thread! This car is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

18. noboD

noboD

19. Sinner

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

What I would not give to find Wildabeast in a barn. Here is a good black and white photo. Wish I had seen the car run. Vette-62--1-1.jpg
    And another decent pic in color.
    Wildabeast 5.JPG

21. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Was the the Wildabeast a So Cal racer?

enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim beautiful car. what do you know about the history and owner of the car.

jp

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Lumpy, Wlidebeast was a So Cal racer in its early life (62-64) but then was sold to Randy Payne from Rome Georgia and finished its career in the southeast.

JP, Skip Hess who would later gain fame with his Anglia, bought the 62 new and converted it to drag strip duty from the outset I believe. He ran in C/MSP which was super competitive (as was B/MSP with Bones and others setting records). In C/MSP Skip had to compete against Dick Taylor in his super strong running 57 and which was tuned by Bourgeois and Wade, who also helped in the tuning of Skip's 62. Skip ran a 375 cubic inch with Hillborns and a four speed of course. To make class he added weight which brought the weight up to around 3500 pounds (I have read).

He did pretty well in So Cal and ran the car at the 63 Nationals and the 64 Winternationals.. In September of 1963 he set both ends of the C/MSP records (11.94/117.80) at Hermosa Beach, breaking the records which had been set earlier by Dick Taylor (11.96/116.69). In mid 64 I believe he set his sights on building an Anglia and he sold the car to Randy Payne. Randy competed with the car in the southeast and he entered the car in the 66 Springnationals under the Wildebeast name although he did not win the hardware. The car was super competitive but he had to contend with Dick Taylor and Sam Cunningham on the national stage and they were anything but slouches.

The car was impressive in my opinion and it is one of my favorite 62s (along with Lenkes 62 Winternationals victor and Tim McDonald's 1974 Indy winning car which we do not see on here due to the super trick wheels he ran).

Here is a picture I believe of the car when Randy Payne owned the car. Wildebeast Payne 1.JPG

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim thank for the info, always enjoy seeing pictures of that car.
    jp

31hotrodguy, lumpy 63, enloe and 2 others like this.
  26. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Jim did a good job of capturing the lineage of Wildebeast beginning with Skip Hess. The original picture in post #7031 was taken at Pomona where I saw the car run several times. I think that Skip grew up in the Temple City/Arcadia area of the San Gabriel Valley. Hess's cars were always built and painted exquisitely. Chrome, polished aluminum and stainless, and candy paint were just a part of the attraction because the attention to detail was incredible. Skip and Big John Mazmanian set the standards for Go and Show in these parts.

Incidentally, much later in my racing life, I became acquainted with Randy Payne and it was obvious that he came from a slightly different but similar mold. His stories of match racing in the Southeast, touring with Hubert Platt, towing straight through from Georgia to Indy with a half-gallon of Early Times in the front seat for company, and many more tales were enough to keep a group of youngsters entertained for hours. Randy kicked my butt during class eliminations at Indy in about 2001 and, to this day, I keep a flamed, 50th U.S. Nationals souvenir cap that he autographed and gave to me on display on my wall. R.I.P. Mr. Bigggg!!!

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have probably told the story before but I have a number of people tell me my avatar car looks like Mazmanian's but I should already know that since I copied his car in their opinion. I almost always correct them that Mazmanian's car was a 61 but I also tell them I kind of copied Skip Hess' Wildebeast with a Mazmanian type color(candy apple red) and their eyes often glaze over since most have never heard of Wildebeast. I had a friend not too long ago ask me why I don't have the car level in its stance and I told him it reminds me of Wildebeast. I guess I have Wildebeast on the brain-not a bad disorder.

Chuck, I envy the fact you got to see the car run, as well as compete against the big boys as you did. As I get older, I find some of my greatest possessions are my memories of drag racing back in the 60s and 70s.

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The Mazmanian car needs to have the rear wheel openings changed to be like the Wildebeast. Then it would be hard to decide which is cooler!

elgringo71, Deuces and loudbang like this.