Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coolhandlike406, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Coolhandlike406

Coolhandlike406

Any recommendations n shipping complete Ford Fe motor from California to Ohio

2. Ive shipped transmissions from the mid west to Calif using R and L trucking. Your going to have to build a heavy duty pallet,or crate.Talk to them they may have recommendations,or restrictions you need to work with.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I was building a crate I'd start with one of those heavy duty oak pallets that tend to come from the east coast. They are a whole lot stronger than the pine or fir ones we see made new out here..
    Make the crate strong enough so that another pallet can sit on top of it without an issue. Cover the framework with OSB or plywood so that sticky fingers can't reach easily removed items. Also out of sight, out of mind and some freight dock forklift jockey doesn't spot the engine he has been dearly wanting but can't afford and help it get lost. Also put all the info about who sent it and where it is going on the inside of the crate in case the paper on the outside gets lost but I'd still mark the outside with a big fat marker with "shipped to __________ at ____________ _____ .

greener200 likes this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

Are you the buyer or seller. If seller have the buyer make shipping arrangements. I sold a Hemi to Australia a couple of years ago and the buyer made all shipping arrangements and gave me the info needed for crating it. That puts the responsibility onto the buyer and shipping company after pickup

trulyvintage likes this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. 5window

5window

Maybe one of the HAMB haulers would take it along?

7. 5window

5window

600-650 pounds depending on if it's stock, and has cast iron or aluminum components. Unless it's special, there must be at least one closer to you than CA?

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Lot's of LTL (Less than Truck Load) carriers out there. Having a loading dock at either end of the shipment greatly reduces cost.

9. My Flathead was shipped by Fedex freight from Minnesota to here in Tennessee.
    I picked it up at the freight dock,,,,,,cost was 200 bucks .
    The seller had built the nicest pallet that I had ever seen .
    Strong pallet,,,,,,used several pieces of 2x4 built up under the sides to stabilize the engine .
    Then with a couple of steel bands to anchor it down .
    Arrived in perfect condition,,,,,without a blemish .

Tommy

stillrunners likes this.
  10. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

Paint some bright stripes on the crate and take a pic,just in case it gets lost.

11. 73RR

73RR

Sadly, this chinese flu crap has hurt us in many ways and cheap freight is one of them.
    Fastenal has recently re-started shipping third-party freight but with new, and apparent permanent, changes; they will no longer ship cross-country. West of the Rockies (Montana South to New Mexico) freight stays in the West, East stays in the East. Shipping LTL can be expensive, depending on weight and mileage. Be sure to shop around and get insurance.

Kato Kings likes this.
  12. Just my two cents- the buyer of a BARE 392 block went with Fastanal - I included in the price - crating it up. Got one of those plastic solid pallets and cross chained it down front and back. then built a box over it. Had already figured about 350 lbs all together. Delivered it to Fastanal and the buyer paid about $150 from Dallas,Tx to Wisconsin. I took it about 30 miles to a nice Fastanal place that would ship it - nice place. He picked it up at the closest place they could get to him - about 30 miles or so for him also.

13. Ratspit

Ratspit

I have used Uship to move a couple engine across country. They function as a broker and you can shop from a number of different LTL carriers. Shipping business to business with loading docks is by far the cheapest route when using a LTL carrier, otherwise you pay extra for the liftgate service. Also if you use an LTL carrier you probably won't be able to insure the engine so make sure it's palletized and protected.

14. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Look into fastenal. They move freight on back hauls for a good price

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Good oak pallets are a thing of the past, pallets are now soft wood or plastic. If you make the top flat and 700 lbs they put stuff on top of it. I would make the top irregular so they can’t stack on it.

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

years ago I sold a Caddy engine to someone in FLA. he contracted with Engines Direct.

17. https://yrc.com/

YRC Freight used to be YELLOW Transportation and have been around since the 30's or 40's. My friend just sent a 540 BBC from Portland Oregon to New Jersey 3 weeks ago. Was 200 bucks. Had to drop it at their shipping terminal, crated and on a pallet. They forked it out of his truck. Was sent out the following day and arrived 5 days later. Customer picked it up at the NJ freight terminal with no problems.

18. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-9_4-14-6.png
    A similar motor, but it was complete and out of our 1940 Willys Coupe.

Hello,

When we sold our 292 C.I. SBC 671 blower motor with 6 Strombergs in 1961, it got sold to a guy from the Midwest. He had a shipping company do the final boxing. But since it was on a steel welded frame with steel roller skates my brother and I welded together, we wanted to keep the metal frame. We used some blocks and bolted down the motor mounts. The SBC was upright and level.

I went to the local marine surplus yard and picked up a smaller size pallet. That fit the motor just fine and gave it plenty of room on all sides. When the shipping company came, they utilized plywood around the pallet and boxed the 671 SBC motor with plywood, so no movement was evident. Support braces were also placed strategically.

The Midwest guy paid for the final boxing and shipping costs back to his home. (Do any of your grandparents or relatives know if a 292 671 supercharged SBC motor was purchased in the West Coast back in January-February of 1961?)

Jnaki

As much as we wanted to keep the pristine motor, our days were in limbo and we just wanted to clear out the whole backyard garage during the recovery phase. Just as we sold all of the left over parts from our drag racing days, a thought crossed our minds. Why did we not put the 671 SBC motor in the 58 Impala for the ultimate street/dragstrip build? Everything was in place, as far as the C&O Stick Hydro transmission and chassis.

By this time, the Impala became my daily driver until I could buy the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It had to be reliable, with little to none, in the daily worry department. The motor would have stuck out above the hood line and open to thievery.
    From this: upload_2020-8-9_4-15-52.png to this: upload_2020-8-9_4-16-24.png
    Finally, to this? upload_2020-8-9_4-16-49.png Naaahh... my brother nixed the idea.