Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear & Loathing The Status Quo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2020.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Burn out is traditional. It happens to all of us sooner or later. What you do to reset is what matters.
    I’ve been self employed 24 years now. That’s 24 years without a vacation, working mostly 6 day weeks. Keeping my nose to the grindstone. I’ve been burned out for several years now, but I keep going. I have too, I have obligations to fulfill. But if I can make it 8 more months, I’m giving it up, I’m gonna retire and go part time for a while, work when I want, not because I have to.

I guess what I’m saying is, if you can take a break, take it and don’t look back. My obligations have kept me working harder than I wanted, but that’s life, it doesn’t always go like we want it to.

scott27, bchctybob, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Same here. I think I’ll hang out until it gets cold then hibernate. The business I work for used to sell stuff to yours and the writing is on the wall.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit......I never had a mid-life crissis, at least I don't think I did. I was able to retire at 55, however, thanks to the stock market and an early buy-out by my employer.

Hope this place doesn't end, but if it does, it's been a hell of a fun ride and will be missed by thousands - nothing lasts forever.

Best of luck to you Ryan & Mark. Wherever life takes you, I'm sure you both will do just fine.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

End? Not while I’m around anyway...

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waylon would have said his shivagitter is broke. Enjoy your time away!

6. Ryan, good luck with the reset. With all the things clamoring for everyone's attention these days, you can end up spending more time managing your life than living it.

Mark, welcome to the world of unrestrained capitalism. I retired 12 years ago, and that was one of the reasons for it. Good luck/congratulations on your retirement... There will be an adjustment period... LOL...

bchctybob, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I walked away from my job at 55 yrs.old in 2003, best thing I ever did. Never looked back, some friends and family said “You Will Get Bored”. Never got bored or missed the job or a lot of the people (headaches). Actually think it added years to my life. Enjoy yourself if you can!

8. Retiring?:eek: Enjoy it.:cool: I have been retired for 19 years and it does go by fast. So take time to savor the hours.;)

9. The search for 'fire'.
    Fire of the soul. desire to chase, rather than fit a niche that we find ourselves fitted into, either by others, or our own doing.
    We all need that, and the fact that you've made the choice to chase it, tells me you're already on your way forward.
    Chase the passion, and explore things you wouldn't normally, it will be highlight your strengths, and be a light moving forward.

"blessed are the cracked, for they are whom leteth in the light...."

Cheers,
    Drewfus

Malcolm, missysdad1, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  10. 32Stoker

32Stoker

catdad49, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  11. Go for it. In my mid 40s I took a year off and went sailing. ‘Lived on the boat and sailed up and down the east coast. Saved my sanity and I highly recommend it.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some sort of social aggression / broken shit giver ? - now have time to figure it out - guess with travel restrictions, Hawaii is out this time - hope that you find somewhere that is cool to chill out in - take care of your health - physical and mental
    good timing is right

catdad49, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lotsa years ago, my authorized BMW company went on strike, and the Union seized everybody's 401Ks.
    I was so close to taking matters that I listened to gorgeous young wife, who makes lotsa $$$... The service manager made me an offer to 'just cross the picket line, the guys are friends...' Yeah, right. Politics. I told him to 'follow his heart'...and a few other things, rolled my tools and worked for a friend 'til Christmas. (on Porsches, 'again')
    After New Years I caught the first thing smokin'. Came 'inland', where the politics made sense and my wife made dollars.
    Now this. 'Social distancing' sounds like an echo dating back to the 'fifties...love letters.
    "So faaar away..." Loved that by the Jazz Crusaders...
    Drove my F100 today, attractive young wife crawled under it Saturday, adjusted the steering sector. Ahhh...can keep it between the fence posts again. Guy in a late model black Jag gave me a thumbs up. Nice.
    "Just a nice little ride." (My bud Bonneville Butch said that after a blazing 314 MPH sprint across the salt last year.)
    "After the covid's over..." Think I'll write music and lyrics to that one. Hope nobody riots over it. I can't get fired, I'm retired!

14. patterg2003

patterg2003

Stressful time all around and it is hard to talk sometimes with people we thought we knew. Gotten so I swing wide on some subjects and do a quick direction change if I know where someone is going. Maybe its an age thing but much less patience these days for things I don't have patience for.

Sometimes a person has to back up and make some distance to see perspective and get some peace. Go somewhere for a week or two with a sat phone for an emergency where there is zero technology. Totally disconnect. Life always grinds will always grind on us but technology has made it worse. People have lost their way and will text at any time and then expect an answer. E-mails go to the phone and so people feel an obligation to answer. Work follows a person home and everywhere they go as there is no separation of work and life. Text makes it worse because people seem to have forgotten to respect each other's life. That little palm sized phone is a source of incredible stress that has crept into our lives and it is very insidious. I won't text anything business related outside business hours out of respect to those people and their lives. I am retired now and I have become bad for parking my cell phone. Occasionally I have call it to find it. It was my source of deep stress for years. I had to be available around the clock for 4 years and people called and text at all hours. The company phone was an Iphone and It still bothers me every time I hear one make a whoop to notify a text message. I think my blood pressure goes up 10 points when I carry my cell phone.

Escape, run and look after yourself. My friends and I went on annual fly-in to stay at a remote lake outpost for years. It was the best way to escape the world. We rented a sat phone that was for emergencies only. The rule was if you ain't dyin' then you ain't dialing. Get up with the sun, fish & fish, eat good, sit around the fire. few beer, tall stories, good laughs and cards. Drop dead every night and wake up feeling good. After a week no one wants to go home. Before that a friend & I would canoe every year back into lakes only accessible by canoe & live free for a week. Catch fish till our arms were sore and forgot the world for a week. Total escape from life.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  15. belair

belair

It's called self-care. Anyone who cares about others needs to do it.

-Brent-, Stogy and Tim like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations...;)

Time to open up the Moriarity Museum and 5☆ Cruising Service...

drdave, scott27, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scuba Dive...

Ryan likes this.
  18. trollst

trollst

Fuckin A Ryan, enjoy buddy, however it turns out. Promised myself earlier this year I was done building, fixing others cars, I'm on my last "special case" wiring job, and I'm done. Promised myself Bonneville was in the plan this year, got set up, the border closed, so, next year, its cool as hell saying no, I feel so much better mentally. Take 5 or 10, get your head where you need it to be, I did, and so much better.

bchctybob likes this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Mark.Outstanding.Just remember what my Dad said."Beware the"Golden Years"they just might be brass plated pot metal":rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Moriarity likes this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

Like the thin and fit guy.......mid thirties, ate right, non drinker, non smoker, runner.....had his whole life ahead of him. Fell over with a massive heart attack. (dead before he hit the ground). Planned to do a lot of stuff.........one day.
    Strange how those "plans" don't always work out.
    Eat your dessert first........just in case. Take some time......do what YOU enjoy.......Re focus...
    Live every day like its the last one............because it just might be!
    6sally6

21. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

There’s a saying....”If you keep your nose to the grindstone too long, your face is going to start looking funny.”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. That's good to hear, this place and my cars are the only thing keeping me from throwing my own waste at passers by from my roof top.

I learned along time ago to say "fuck this noise" to almost everything that's normal to most and "so be it" to being an outcast. I'm not the one who needs a reset.........in my eyes :).

My regular life has changed only slightly during these days (can't sit inside and have a meal or go to swapmeets) and isn't bothering me too much (except the swapmeets).

I don't think I have a shit giver............remember you can't have anxiety without the social part :D.

Have fun, enjoy the family and do what you want.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    bchctybob likes this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

The support group is quite Active, have you left yet?! See (?) You when you get back.

24. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Take the time needed Boss we will be here if you need us

25. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

It is wise to go with the flow, Ryan, as you never know how the cosmic tumblers will register. Sometimes there is a greater plan we don't know about. At 56 I walked away from 33 years in nuclear power. I thought I was doing it for "mental health". But there was a bigger plan I didn't know. For five years the wife and I traveled and enjoyed the little grandsons (3 of them). Then wife was diagnosed with dementia, I spent 8 years as her caregiver and then 2 years of spending every day at her nursing home. If i had waited until 62, we would not have had all those memories that comforted us during the tough times. I wasn't a believer in such things but now I am. We were meant to have that time to salve our souls for the journey to come. So God Speed!

26. missysdad1

missysdad1

Crossroads. Turn left or turn right. There comes a time in everybody's life when this choice presents itself. Do I go fishing, or do I risk everything and jump right into the middle of the fight. There is no single answer, but in your heart of hearts you know which one is right.

lothiandon1940 and bchctybob like this.
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm with you on being sick of complacency @Ryan .

Get healthy.

All the best to you and yours.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Ryan, Lol in true HAMB fashion your Fuck it I need a Break post has turned into a Ryan's going to Betty Ford and there is no telling when they will release him! Somedays it is nice to find a reason to say Fuck it. enjoy your trip . Larry

kidcampbell71 and Petejoe like this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was in my late twenties when, having a decent amount of money saved, I decided to take a three month leave of absence from my job in the hot rod aftermarket. I worked on my hot rod, laid on the beach, read, wrote songs and played in a cover band at night. I went back to work just long enough to find a new job in a totally different industry.
    I did it early, but I think there comes a time for some of us that we have to take a break, step back and look at our lives from a different perspective and adjust accordingly.
    It’s a good thing, enjoy it, I know I did.

30. Hmmm...................all this stuff. You can look back, but it's best not to stare(T. Petty).....Advice for the time and maybe the times. A lot of beneath the surface angst, attitudes and assessments here. Kind of echos the mood of a much greater segment of the population. Curious to me how this condensed place is like that , but I think ,not surprising. Ryan's thought and overview at this time isn't extraordinary then, maybe what is, his desire to articulate it....to put it out there.....and to let travel and evolve as it may

scott27 likes this.