Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help!! Notching 1953 Mainline frame for Air Ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbhdrake383, Jul 31, 2020.

1. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Ok so I know there’s a ton of stuff out there about c notching trucks, cars. My big question though is has anyone ever c notch with the car body still on the frame? I really don’t want to remove the body. I know I’ll have to cut the truck floor out and need to tunnel the floor. All easy stuff but is the notch even possible. Please help. I’m looking to start this in a month or so. Thank everyone. If I posted this on the wrong thread my bad

2. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Here’s a picture of my car. IMG_4306.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

buddyamigo and CME1 like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your not going to cut thru the entire frame I cannot see why not, I'd leave at least an 1" of frame..Mark exactly where your 1/2 pipes are to go, then remove the rearend and springs. Brace the frame in front where the springs were and in the rear the same. I would use wedges or something to keep them right where they were. I'd use a hole saw to make the notches then weld in the 1/2 pipes. You may need to weld tabs with hole on to the lower edge of the frame to guide the hole saw. Probably a 6" will do it. There will be some upside down welding but your mig should handle that. Make it a tight fit and get good penetration.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Absolutely! I did Kustom7777's flamed shoebox Ford. Cut the trunk floor out (leave enough room to weld all around the frame!!!!). Did a 4 inch "C, by just welding a piece of 2 x 4, 1/8 wall tubing onto the top of the chassis, angle cutting the ends so it looks nice. Then cut out the frame part under the 2 x 4, and plated the underside with 1/8" plate. Easy.......
    I think it took longer to fab up higher floors over the notch, than doing the notch itself.

5. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Do you have any pictures for reference? This helps a lot. Thanks for the reply

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Actually I think I did a how-to here on the HAMB on this, a long time ago.

gbhdrake383 likes this.
  7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

gbhdrake383 likes this.
  8. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

I’m cutting the floor out this weekend and going to wing it lol. Sometimes that’s how it goes

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to cut a circular notch and weld in a piece of steel covering it or weld on a rectanglar piece and remove a portion of your original frame ?

gbhdrake383 likes this.
  10. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Add a rectangular piece. I’m thinking if I cut out enough of the floor I can do it without much clearance issue. Thoughts?

11. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Let me add to that. The rectangular notch pieces I’ll buy from Gambino Kustoms I’ll weld in first then cut the frame so the frame keeps its true (stays straight). What’s your thought on that? I also changed the title from C-Notch to Notch because I’m not adding 1/2 pipe but a rectangular piece.