Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T on A : Fjant the complete novice builds a hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fjant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hello internet!
    My name is Mark and I live in Sweden (so excuse my poor English). I have always had hot rods on my mind most of my woken time, but life and circumstances have postponed my dream. I'm about to turn forty and I finally put my s*** together and bought a ”good” start. I did start a build before and I put a lot into it, but kids and a house put a pause to it and afterwards I did not have my heart into it. This thread I will show the progress om my newly acquired ride. But surely mostly be questions needing an answer. I am a penpusher and my practical knowledge is extremely limited. I had a some vintage cars before. An old Volvo, a couple of early barracudas and the above mentioned project, which was an -31 plymouth rustbucket. But I never dugg deep into the mecanical, and spread over a twentyfive year period, it is not much.

So as the headline .... and the pictures show, this is a somewhat bad 1926-27 touring on a fairly stock -30 (of -31?) chassis. I bought it as a whole but the body only sits loose on the chassis and have never been mounted. What I can tell about the chassis is that it seems to have been sporting a flathead V8 earlier due to welded in enginemounts and a quite crude split whishbone setup. It also hade the front main leaf turned.

My first goal is to get it running and working as close to stock as possible to get it through swedish car inspection. For a car this age you only have to do once ( for a ”new” car it’s every year). After that you have to go through special inspections if you modify your car, but many rodders here just drive it and hope they won't get pulled over. [​IMG][​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Looks good to me, should make a nice hot rod, HRP

LOU WELLS, Fjant and nunattax like this.
  3. Welcome FJant; I have kind of the same thing, 27 on stock A chassis. If your looking for help mounting the Body my advice is to get the rear wheels centered on the rear wheelhouse of the Body and square on the frame front to back. You will need to make your own wood blocks and drill some new holes. I used all the stock mount holes in the Body not the Fame. Up front on the Firewall I modified the stock 26-27 Frame mounts with a little modification and a new bolt hole. Here is an old photo before I extended the running boards and splash aprons.
    20171028_115420.jpg

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

i like it! well, i have a bias opinion, here's mine IMG_0637.JPG

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Fjant, your have a real good start for a Hot Rod, keep us posted on your progress.

Stogy, 48fordnut, Fjant and 1 other person like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

consider oak blocks ,varnished and use some rubber sheet as well

7. j hansen

j hansen

Subscribed.....Where in Sweden are you?

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

X2

Fjant likes this.
  9. AndersF

AndersF

Great start. Will follow this build.

Fjant likes this.
  10. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Thank you. That seems like a good idea. Nice ride!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Tack! Kinnekulle

chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  12. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Okey! Tack you!

48fordnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Thank you! It will probably be a slow build considered my inexperiece, lack of good tools and having small children.

14. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Thank you! Nice ride!

15. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Here is one of the future plans for this build. But that will maybe happen in more than a year from now.

I have been a big fan of the whippet grilles of this era for a long time but they don’t grow on threes around this part of the world. But about a year a go I found this. It’s in good condition, complete and I payed about 50 dollar for it.
    [​IMG]

16. AndersF

AndersF

Not that far from where i live. About 40 minutes east from you.

17. j hansen

j hansen

Thanks. I am in Tösse, only 50km from you.

18. Your Tourer looks in better condition than I started with so I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

fairground rides.JPG

19. alchemy

alchemy

Someday I'd like to do a similar project. I've got a pile of 1927 touring body, a Whippet grille, and an Essex frame from around 1930.

I think all those Whippet grilles are rusty at the bottom. I've got my "good" one and even it has rust. My spare needs the bottom totally replaced.

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  20. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Very cool stance!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

1biggeorge, chryslerfan55 and Fjant like this.
  22. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Sounds like a good plan. I have a 31 plymouth chassis I planed to use, but this was a better start.

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

24. Driver50x

Driver50x

That is a darn good start for a great hot rod. Enjoy the journey. You are at the right place to get plenty of good advice and opinions.

25. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you are indeed a "pencil pusher" you might want to take a deep breath before you begin buying parts or making any changes to what you already have. It's easy to go down the wrong road with your build and end up with a car that you don't like. Everybody on the HAMB has done that at least once.

Do lots of internet research, looking for photos of finished cars like yours - T tourings on Model A frames. Build a vision - or better yet, a photograph - of the finished car the way you want it to be.

Then, build the vision (or photograph).

This process will give you a solid goal to refer to as you gather parts and make changes. Far too many projects stall before they are finished because the builder runs out of money or enthusiasm due to poor planning.

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, aligning the rear wheels in the center of rear wheel wells will put the rest of the body in the correct position, so if you do swap the rear half someday, it should be pretty simple. meantime, the touring is also rad, and they look great with the rear seat covered with a tonneau cover, if you're so inclined.

27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Great start. Listen to all the advice here, then decide what you want to do. Lots of good advice here.
    Thanks for sharing.

Outback likes this.
  28. brady1929

brady1929

Welcome and congratulations.