Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Busted valve spring or springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 Merc Man, Aug 3, 2020.

1. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Here’s the deal hot rodders,
    My 50 Merc is flattering out at top end, no horsepower at all, seems to be sputtering a bit too, I thought possibly it could be the choke sticking ? Fouled plug? Or even a dirty or clogged fuel filter?
    Any one of those would be ok, but I’m looking or thinking worse case scenarios here. Valve spring
    Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 41hemi

41hemi

I will recommend that you check your timing and the vacuum advance. You want all your advance coming in at higher rpm's.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. MantulaMan

MantulaMan

Stick a vacuum gauge on it. That will tell you if any valves are sticking.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Be aware that this ^^^^^^^^ only applies to an engine with ," stock" or very mild cams , most performance cams would not produce the same results ......

5. I like using a vacuum gauge, great for adjusting carbs too. Other things to check are the plugs themselves, on the outside a compression test depending on how the plugs look. What is the age of the fuel filter? I replace mine once a year regardless of how far I drive. Fuel lines can collapse with the great gasoline we have to use.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The first thing you do when your car don't run right is check the compression. Do it dry, then give each hole 4-5 squirts of oil and check it again ...

Truck64 and wulf powis like this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When a flathead backfires or sputters............is that flatulence ?:D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yes...weak springs will most definitely limit top speed to something lower than with good springs.
    In most cases, old, well used springs may well be the culprit.

This assumes that the rest of the engine is right. Proper fuel pressure, an ignition "system" that is in good shape.

Sounds like you may well be looking into the whole engine -
    1. Points adjustment.
    2. Overall ignition timing.
    3. Spark plug wires.
    4 Coil.
    5. Fuel pressure (filter(s).
    6. Fuel level in the bowl(s).
    7. Valve spring tension.
    8. Spark plugs (how old, correct gap).
    9. How much rpm can the cam provide ?

And more...

Mike

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  9. If you've been used to anything late model or even a Small Block Chevy understand that Top End shows up much sooner in a Flat Head. A Big Inch Flathead is still less than 300 inch and I doubt your anywhere close to that. She sure is pretty under the Hood though, wish mine still looked like that. I think I have Fixed mine to Death.

VANDENPLAS and 50 Merc Man like this.
  10. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Hey Mike, I know it’s been a long while since I posted this, but I am a little unsure of checking the timing on a flathead, hook up light to number one right? Is it like a small block Chevy at all?
    I just sent off for a new set of plug wires, I’m hoping that’ll solve the sputtering issues

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Correct, connect to number cylinder number's plug wire.
    make sure the timing marks are clean and visible.
    Make sure all of the timing lights harness is away from the fan and belt, start engine.
    Check the initial timing, damper to pointer.
    Advance or retard to suit what you want.

Yes, basically like any other engine, like a small Chevy.
    You might want to put a few more degrees of timing lead in than the "book" says. The original manuals are always a few degrees short of the pest performance available.

Make sure that your spark plugs are also in good condition, and that you have no vacuum leaks.

Mike

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

First check compression, always pg. 1 para. 1 in the Tune-Up manuals. Ever notice that? Then a vacuum test with a vacuum gauge on pg. 2 thru 4. It will show broken, or weak valve springs too, if you know what to look for.

I'd think they'd have to be really lunched, but weak springs can act as a natural rev limiter. Apparently what happens in this situation is the valve starts to bounce repeatedly before staying closed for good, this limits power in the case of the intake valve.

13. Budget36

Budget36

It’s a flathead, right? So not ever having a hot one, keep in mind my reply

FHV8’s don’t like a lot of timing like a SBC. They also don’t like a lot of initial timing. On the few stock ones I had, I just set the distributor on the mark and let them run. I recall some guys using a SBC conversion on the 8BA motors, then had to limit advance. I “think” I read this off the Fordbarn. But don’t have direct experience
    My babble aside, can we assume the engine ran properly at one time and is now “fluttering” at higher RPMs?

Truck64 likes this.