Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Louisville, going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyhotrod, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

It consist of the whole grassy area south of the swap meet area.Those that have been there know that’s a huge parking space which has been under utilized for quite a few years.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

And if they didn't have it there would be a equal amount bitching because it was cancelled.CAN'T WIN
    There seem to be a lot of other lots on back side of fairgrounds. Is it possible that they might be planning on using those??? You have to ADAPT to the situation. Just saying.
    [​IMG]

primed34 and 47ragtop like this.
  3. The last NSRA Louisville that I attended was several years ago and it will always be my LAST. They parked my '34 Coupe under their large Safety 23 Inspection tent which collapsed on my car causing $26K in damages. It took a year and half to get the car restored to the condition it was in prior to their "inspection". They kept giving me the "runaround" on their liability for the damage. Finally, I turned the damage claim in to my insurance carrier and got the repairs started. I wonder if the tent had fallen on a "celebrity" car, if their response might have been different. To this day I proudly display the NSRA decal as a target in the urinal at my garage.

kidcampbell71, Tman, thintin and 3 others like this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Isn`t this a standard for all organizations the you have to be a member of. Be it a tractor show, gun show or any others out there.

Primered Forever and egads like this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Exactly.

stanlow69 likes this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm surprised at all the animosity directed at the NSRA. Yes they make money, but they provide what people want. They don't have a crystal ball, and many of the things happening this year are beyond their control.At some point in time they had to make a decision. If you remember, about a month ago the virus seemed to have peaked.......but now it's flaring up again. From what seems apparent, old codgers like myself have turned out to be most at risk......and guys like me are the NSRA bread and butter. A month ago this was just beginning to come out.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of healthy younger people that can attend and have a good chance of only mild to none symptoms. Let's face it, they had a tough call to make and none of us would like to have to make it. Hopefully it will turn out well........

GreenMtnBoy, Just Gary, egads and 2 others like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Hmmm.....sounds like any Saturday night race track. It gives people a place to race (for an entry fee) the car they built, races to watch for the spectators (who pay to watch) while having a marginally edible hamburger and a cold drink (that they also pay for). No one is forced to go yet they all look forward to Saturday night at the track.

Lynn

8. primed34

primed34

Looks simple to me. If you want to go then go. If you don't want to go then don't. I wasn't planning on going anyway and I'm no longer a member of the NSRA so I don't have a dog in this fight. My first Nats was 1971 and I made several thru the years. Got out of the NSRA after 40 years when they went to the sliding scale. Whether you go or not wear a mask, wash your hands, stay a cow length apart, and wear glasses if you need them.

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even the HAMB ??? Come to think of it. Ryan does get me for $50 every year:D:D:D;)

egads, rockable, V8 Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

AMEN

lake_harley likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It could of gone either way. 2 weeks before the Des Moines Goodguys show, they officially announced it was a go. Limiting to 2500 cars, from having 4500 the year before. And masks required in the building. Yes I went. Then the KKOA show was cancelled 2 weeks before it happened. The state said masks to be worn and temps taken before entering the outside show. Not good in 90 to 100 temps in Kansas. So the 40th was cancelled. I was planning on attending.

12. phat rat

phat rat

It's live, look at it at night

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It seems that way, right? If only it was...

I have no problem with capitalism. It's a little gross to call your marketing guy a "Chaplain," but opinions are like assholes.

I also have no problem with them holding the event. I think it's seriously bad judgement, but people can make their own decisions. Totally cool with that... and I don't judge folks that have opinions different than my own on such things. Everyone comes from somewhere. And again, everyone poops from somewhere.

And really... I wouldn't go to an NSRA event in paradise... So I don't have a dog in this fight. My reaction comes from three places:

1. I am pre-disposed to have distaste for the NSRA. It's a bias that I am open about. Let's not forget that this place was in part founded on a sort of punk rock ethos to buck what the NSRA represented. I still hold that very closely to my heart.

2. As I understand it, the NSRA is not answering direct requests for more information about safety at the event, masks, etc... No idea if that's true or not - just what I was told and I reacted. (so take it with a grain of salt these days.) In my opinion (there's that word again), silence in such a situation is dishonest.

There's more to it than that... A lot more actually... But we don't do that kind of thing here.

14. phat rat

phat rat

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  15. .....................Right on!:)

Just Gary and jim snow like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To me, one of the constant annoyances among HAMB posts is bashing the NSRA. No one is required to be a member of either, some choose one over the other, many find value in both.

IMO, the HAMB and NSRA are similar to common religious denominations, who often have animosity toward one or the other. .....same church, different pew. Get over it.

Ray

17. i have already made up my mind. im going to have fun with my car this week. i will see some of you there.

GreenMtnBoy, ekimneirbo and Just Gary like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

And, while we’re at it, any of the frequent bitchers about the entry fees, vendor fees and so on, want to make an articulate explanation of their complaint?

Please tell me (us) what YOU would do and how you would do it, were you inclined to get off your fat ass and organize and promote an event, of any size larger than few dozen participants.

Do you have ANY realistic idea of the expenses involved, the work involved, the liabilities involved? And, in any case, would you be prepared to do all that for no monetary gain, just because you are the benevolent type? I think the answer should be obvious enough, that the questions need not be asked....but obviously, the answer must not be so clearly recognized or we wouldn’t have the complaints ....”somebody is gonna make money offa this”.

How is your income produced? Or, your retirement nest egg or pension? Unless your career was some sort of government position, it was probably generated by charging people for goods and services/labor an amount greater than the cost of producing those goods and services......aka “PROFIT”. But it’s only ‘good’ when YOU are making it....and is of course “greedy” when someone else does.

Grow up!

Ray

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AMEN! Thanks for articulating exactly what I was thinking. You beat me to it.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How cool is this.
    Thanks to whoever created this and for sharing.
    It all comes down to the numbers.
    Percentages percentages.
    Not divine intervention, politics or luck.
    We decided due to the high number
    Of people at the Rock and Race at Dragway 42, we would not take a chance.
    Pastors, Mayors or organizers will not effect our decision.
    I wouldn’t be anywhere in Kentucky at a big event.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you think the NSRA and what I do is similar in any way, I’ve failed you.

Yeah man. You’ve mentioned that a few times. BTW, “cardio vascular” is one word.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If that is your take away, then you missed my point,...... and I am the one who failed to adequately explain. Twice in this thread. An earlier post I made that was obliquely related to age.....I failed there too.

It is not about what you do, better or worse, etc. It is about both entities being similar enough (originally) in the focus on modifying automobiles of an era for performance and/or appearance that is the common thread. That certain tastes have taken on a dogma like nature is where the differences are found. Nothing more, nothing less, as I see it.

edit: one other clarification I should make. The term “church” was a broad reference to the followers of a particular deity, not limited to a particular branch organization of that deity’s followers. Indeed, it is in the ‘branches’ that the diversity is found.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    hotrodjack33, 47ragtop and egads like this.
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got you. And you're right...

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The guy that developed the database leads software development at Georgia Tech. He put his nerd underlings (read students) to work creating the front-end to the database to make it accessible to normal "non-nerd" people. I think it's brilliant. I guess they are working on other metrics now for things like travel, environment, etc... They are even thinking of implementing Google Maps to help people pinpoint the risk. Using past data as a control, it's been crazy accurate.

His cohort at the University of Texas (Boomer!) is a hot rodder, HAMBer, and the school's epidemiologist. He's the guy that helped me with the mapping and modeling for the go/no-go call on the H.A.M.B. Drags. Basically he takes the data from the Georgia Tech Database, adds infection rates for the geographic regions, and then comes up with a model for where certain areas of the country will be in the next 30 days. His accuracy is nuts... so long as he doesn't push his model past 30 days.

There's this whole group of scientist... not much different than our hot rod group here... that work in labs, try shit, experiment, test... They get on discord and discuss... and it's kind of mind blowing. I don't understand a word most of them say... But I can tell they are all super passionate about numbers like we are about old cars.

I think the world is too busy being narcissistic to listen to them right now. But some day, people will look back at this group of a few hundred guys on a discord server and think, "Shit man... Those guys were really smart."

25. Perspectives are interesting to watch.........especially when fueled by social stressors. As folks have said in the course of this thread, I don't have a dog in this hunt either, too far away , mileage -wise to travel to Kentucky for a show, or anything, for that matter. Turn of events, upheaval, unrest,.....all these things are influencers in this new normal, and provide insight into the players involved and the opinions held. I 've developed a respect, Ryan, for your insight(s), and more so for your patience.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I pride myself a bit on my patience... but honestly, I've lost confidence in that ability as of late. This thread is a good example of that.

This is the important part, right? We all have different perspectives... and people with one perspective shouldn't judge someone else with a different one. I strongly believe that with very few exceptions.

Where it gets tricky is when people twist the facts to match their own perspectives and downplay someone else's. Confirmation bias is real dawg... And the consequences can be nasty given a world of social media, unrest, etc...

***​

But... Your post grounded me a bit... I need to shut the fuck up. It's starting to feel like I'm trying to sell my own opinion and that's not my purpose here. In fact, I've lead this whole thread astray and off topic. 100% my fault and I apologize.

Let's get back to shit that doesn't divide most of us - hot rods and customs.

40ragtopdown, RMR&C, slug and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.