Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. That is perfect! Amazing truck you’ve built on a budget!

fiftyv8, loudbang, ccain and 2 others like this.
  2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Dash looks real classy

Thor1, loudbang and ccain like this.
  3. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

Just read this entire thread and just wanted to say you're doing a great job on this!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. Got the drivers side vent window, anti-rattlers, and door glass fitted today. That's one down and she already looks better. :)

[​IMG]

No sense in wasting good parts. I cut down the one-piece window whiskers to fit the door with the new vents installed.

[​IMG]

Same with the anti-ratters, although I had to try and reinstall some of the clips that fell out. Worked out fine.

[​IMG]

I didn't take any pics other than this next one, but I took apart all of the power window hardware, modified it, painted it and installed it on the new glass. Worked like a charm, plus I went ahead and ordered the parts so that when I get the right window regulators, it's just a matter of unbolting the power window crap and installing the winders.

[​IMG]

Here's everything installed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there she is with vent windows for the first time in god knows how long.

Everything lined up and went right according to plan. Went a little too well. Something is definitely up. Passenger door will probably fall off trying to do the other side. :p

Until tomorrow. ;)

catdad49, Nostrebor, Ford52PU and 9 others like this.
  5. Whelp... Driver's door latch suddenly gave up the ghost today.

[​IMG]

The torsion spring that keeps tension on the latch paw snapped and PA-TWANG'd itself deep into the door cavity. Not gonna lie, it made a neat noise. :D

I really only need the spring. I've replaced press-locked torsion springs before and this one isn't under that much load. BUT, here's the rub. It looks as though there are no latch springs being produced for the 57-60 F series. However, I can find them for earlier Fords.

Here's what's broken (internet pic, not mine):
    [​IMG]

Here's the closest thing available which, fits a 38-40 Ford car:
    [​IMG]
    The springs are like $5 and a replacement latch is like $109. Hate like hell to throw out a latch over a spring. Gonna try and save the latch I have. Hell, I ain't got nothing to lose but 5 bucks.:rolleyes:

That is unless anyone has any idea where I can get the right spring. Anyone?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    fauj, fiftyv8, brEad and 3 others like this.
  6. Callmaker

Callmaker

It sure looks a lot like the one in my 63.

ccain, loudbang, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  7. Okay, so I'm bored sitting around, waiting for parts. So... as boredom and idle hands are the tools of my ex-wif... uh, I mean the devil (same thing), I've been looking around for ideas for other cool aesthetic stuff to do to the truck and keep it sorta period correct.

So, let's talk bumpers. I've seen a few of these fridges with other bumpers on them. Hell, I think one even had a buick or caddy rear bumper, upside down, on the front. Looked a little weird, but still cool.

Lookin' around the internet at cool old trucks, I came upon a pic of a VERY clean '59 Chevy C10 and thought, "Wow, I REALLY like that bumper.". So, one down-&-dirty photoshop later and we went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Here's a side-by-side:

[​IMG]

Granted, I have ZERO idea if the width is right. I'd need to see one or have someone measure one for me before I'd chunk down the money on a lark. You know?

I mean, I really love the chunky look and those bumper guards are killer. 'Just kinda looks right to me.

'Wouldn't be too worried about bracketry as I have a stack of steel laying around, and I am a certifiable steel booger slinger, and quite good at grinding it all off to reveal the bubbly goodness that are my shitty welds. :p

I dunno, just talking out my ass this morning. Figured I'd try it out on the locals 'round here to see if anything sticks. What do you guys think? Am I on to something or just plain nuts?

Also been playing around with a Fairlane bumper, as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    catdad49, brEad, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Callmaker

Callmaker

I like the Fairlane best, what about the rear? Gotta match, right?

9. I think the Chevy bumper would be easier to match a rear bumper to. The Fairlane rear bumper has those huge indentions for the tail lights and the front bumpers profile. I dunno.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I really like the Fairlane bumper although it looks a touch too bulky, I am sure I would get used to it especially with the grille addition.
    Maybe a front Fairlane bumper on the rear would work OK...

Thanks for including us all in your journey.

loudbang, Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  11. Definitely the '59 Fairlane bumper and grille.

OahuEli, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  12. Don't know how I missed this thread.... Great lookin' truck, great job! I don't know if I'd change the bumper unless you're planning a full grill change too.

Oh, yeah... Keep the slots!

loudbang, Thor1 and ccain like this.
  13. Thanks guys!

Another back-alley photoshop with a few more things added. It's so poorly done. Didn't even take the time to chop off the Victoria B.C. license plate from the car I stole this bumper off of, and the grille is poorly executed. :D

Not gonna lie... 'starting to really warm up to this look. This bumper, grille, and the chrome smoothies with white walls send this thing back in time, away from the 70's styling it currently has.

[​IMG]

All of this AND about a 3" drop. You can't see it but I'm totally kissing my fingers like an italian chef right now. :D

But, this is one of those "here's how I'd spend the money if I hit the lotto" situations. It's fun to dream about spending cash you don't have. :D

--

Okay gang. I got a nice big box in the mail this morning and I just spent the day recovering the seat. Raybuck, or should I say Seatz, came through big time. Great quality and incredible fit. So easy, a caveman like me can do it.

[​IMG]

Look what I found when I started pulling away the layers from this shit biscuit!
    A whole nother seat full of stale farts. Not to mention the 746,928 hog rings they used to hold this mess together.

[​IMG]

A bit of foam, the appropriate number of hog rings, and some properly installed seat belts later and BOOM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh boy, she sure is red inside now! :eek::cool:

Just have to finish up the window install, loom a few loose wires, put the door panels back on, and I'm gonna smack her on the ass and call the interior done.

14. loudbang

loudbang

RED for sure but it looks factory fresh. :)

Nostrebor, fauj, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

If the Fairlane bumper fits dimensions wise..why couldn’t you put one on the back as well and use the lights for backup lights or signals or something like that?

brEad, Thor1, Callmaker and 1 other person like this.
  16. It sure is weird to sit in a 60 year old truck that has that new car smell. :D

Actually, the more I look at the thing, that Fairlane front bumper would play very well with a stock F-100 rear bumper. (pic not mine)

[​IMG]

--

If you look back in the thread, @fauj and I discussed guitar pickguard material to use for accent pieces. Well, Warmoth Guitar will send you samples. Here's one.

[​IMG]

They'll send you up to 3 samples for free. (I left this next picture full size so you can click it to see the details of the texture beneath the glossy surface and the edge that reveals the black center core of the material.)

[​IMG]

This stuff is nice and thick with multiple layers and the gloss is unreal. On some of this stuff, there is a layer of black in the middle, so if you cut the edge on a bevel, you get a clean stripe-like border. Very interesting stuff, especially if you're wanting some atomic age looking accents.

Warmoth is going into my rolodex for sure.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    catdad49, brEad, fauj and 4 others like this.
  17. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I really like the Fairlane bumper on it, but to look right it needs skinny tires with whitewalls (a least a pinner stripe) and about a 6" drop all around.

Devin

ccain likes this.
  18. Callmaker

Callmaker

That appears to be a uni rear bumper.. wish my looked that good.

Thor1, loudbang and ccain like this.
  19. Okay, a bit of an update:

'Wasn't sure what I was going to do for sun visors. I didn't have any of the headliner vinyl leftover and I don't have a sewing machine that can sew heavy stuff like upholstery. Wanted something a bit different than upholstered visors this time.

Started by taking the old visors apart.

[​IMG]

There were a LOT if heavy staples holding the whole works together.

[​IMG]

A little hidden treasure here, the rails are stainless and polished up real nice.

[​IMG]

So, off to ebay I went in search of something to make visors out of. Old VW's, and probably other makes, had these cool tinted plastic sun visors. So cool.

And that is what was settled upon, but with a bit of a twist. I ordered a 12"x24" sheet of red tinted plexiglass (perspex for our British cousins). It got lost in the mail but finally arrived today.

Using the old visor cards as a template, two visor shapes were cut out.

[​IMG]

Ran to the hardware store for some 3/4" aluminum flat stock.
    Everything was cut and pre-drilled.

[​IMG]

Then, the aluminum was wet sanded from 400 thru to 1500 and then with a few passes on the polisher... BOOM! Poorman's chrome!

[​IMG]

Didn't want screws, bolts or rivets visible. These hollow binding screws were just the ticket.

[​IMG]

And here's what everything looks like assembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gah-dang, I have to blow the dust off the truck!!! Had a water leak in the wall behind the water heater and had to chop out drywall. The dust is EVERYWHERE!!! Anyway, that's the sunvisors dealt with. They turned out okay I guess and are certainly different. Love 'em!

So, while I was waiting on parts, I was experimenting. See, my old Fairlane had door panels (like the one below) with heat-welded faux seams. And I really like the look.

[​IMG]

Got out the wood burning set , inserted the chisel-tip and started to try to emulate these seams. Took a while to get everything dialed in, so the first practice sheet was... meh. I used a silver paint marker to highlight the burned in line. Again... meh.

[​IMG]

The heat setting is what's most important. Once I figured out the heat setting I carried on practicing.

[​IMG]

Here's the first real successful pass. Speed and a steady hand, along with a good solid straightedge are the key.

[​IMG]

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty tickled with the outcome.

[​IMG]

Now, I just have to decide if I want to try adding some factory style accents to my door panels. Sure would break up all of that flat vinyl. I dunno.

So, anyway... that's all I have for right now.

ttyl

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  20. I love a guy with imagination.... :)

41 GMC K-18, catdad49, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  21. At the risk of repeating myself, this just gets better and better and better and better and... Well, you get the point. Love this truck!

41 GMC K-18, catdad49, ccain and 2 others like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Wow those visors are the cats ass!! And cheap and easy to do. And then the burned in stripes amazing. You do some REAL NICE work. :)

catdad49, Nostrebor, fiftyv8 and 2 others like this.
  23. Love it! Need to rename the thread "Automotive arts and crafts with CCain!" I would have never thought to try the heat welded seams, because I know my patience level would have = melted and angry!
    Freaking awesome!

catdad49, OahuEli, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. Hahaha. THANKS GUYS!!! It's funny how other people's build threads and your kind comments motivate me. I really appreciate you all!

Okay, now that all of the smooshy stuff is over. :p It's time for a Weekend Update:

That horn button bugged because whenever I saw this...

[​IMG]

all I could think about was this:

[​IMG]

I don't have to tell you how distracting it is to have to deal with Porky Pig stuttering in your head on a cruise around town. :D:D:D
    Enter pickguard material sample from post #197.

It turned out to be a perfect fit... okay, some trimming was needed, but it filled the hole... giggity... just right.

[​IMG]

Ties in a bit with the dash insert and the headliner. I dig it.

[​IMG]

--

I finally got the vent and door window install buttoned up. the power window mechanisms no longer bind. Everything works smooth.

There is a little interference between the vent window rubber and the latch when you open and close the vent windows, but I can cope.

The adhesive felt I stuck in those forward door glass tracks worked like an absolute charm!

--

The door panels gave me a fit. The last can of Super 77 I got was not so "super" -OR- it reacted with whatever the backing was on that other red vinyl.

Had to completely redo the door panels. :mad: I've put together a LOT of door panels and this was the first time I've had an issue with Super 77 not holding fast, especially only a week after I put the door cards together. It had tacked up normally, I didn't rush it, and they went together nice. 'Noticed a few days later that the vinyl was blistering around the armrests and on the edges.

It all worked out better in the end because I was able to source more supple, better quality, red vinyl that matches the seat material WAY better than that other crap I bought.

Again, my phone really screws with red. The whole inside (save the carpet) does tend to look the same color to the naked eye. Let's call it "Arterial Blood Red" :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I'm still on the fence about burning in some accents on these door panels. I have plenty of vinyl if I screw up.

That's all I have right now.

25. pkhammer

pkhammer

I've been following your progress with great interest. My first vehicle was a 312 powered '57 F100 big back window shortbed.....and it was red! I see the modifications you're making and it makes me wish I still had mine. You do noce work and your posts keep it interesting. Keep up the great work!

loudbang, fiftyv8 and Thor1 like this.
  26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I too am inspired by all the neat updates and mods you have done, but sadly mine is too much of a work horse right now to do such improvements.
    I've added early Mustang under dash a/c, disc brakes and power steering as well as an O/D auto which has made my life easier.
    Oh, also electric windows and a 2nd row seat up front for seat belts, head rests and an option center arm rest when only 2 persons are on board.

Attached Files:

ccain, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  27. Happy Tuesday, ya filthy animals! :p

Russ, that is a beautiful old Effie! Love the spare setup. Really digging the underseat storage. Wished I'd have thought to somehow put storage under the seat. It's kind cavernous under there. Seems a shame to waste all of that space.

And, yeah, the brakes on my beastie are the bone stock, non-power, drums all around. Works perfect -BUT- you can definitely feel, in your foot, any extra weight you put in the truck. So, an upgrade is coming soon. Especially if I ever let my wife drive it. :eek::eek::eek:

Whelp... got 'er out in the sun today and shook off a little dust. And, that's it, that's as done as it gets inside. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I freakin' love it!!!

[​IMG]

I know it seems counterintuitive to do the interior first THEN start the body work -BUT- I'm gonna just go around and fix what's wrong, panel to panel. I mean she's all there, she just needs love is a few places.

One of those places is where the door jackknifed into the fender. A nice crease that hits the body line. ALSO, the fender itself is pushed in a good 1/2" to 3/4" from god know's what crash in the past. I have know idea what is going on with that screw in the fender. Maybe somebody tried to slide hammer the crease out and gave up when the screw broke. I dunno.

[​IMG]

This fender is not supposed to be concave under the body line and behind the wheel arch.

[​IMG]

Right side for reference.

[​IMG]

If I had something to get a bite on under there, I could probably use the porta power to push it out, and when it's close to being back in shape, take it off and address the crease. But there's nothing.

I could maybe pull it with some sort of block and my comealong, but risk creasing the wheel arch. I dunno. If it were a honda I could just tug on it, but this thing seems to be made out of thinly shaved battleship.:eek:

Fender's not rusty, just beat up, so I'm not even going to entertain the "just get another fender" discussion my wife and I had last night. Apparently she thinks 1960 F-100 fenders grow on trees... in a nice grove... in Henry Ford's backyard -AND- that I have a nice grove of cash apple trees out back. I dunno. :D

Hell, If I could find a nice, REASONABLE fender I would snatch it up!

Saw a supposed "NOS" driver's fender on eBay that the guy wanted a grand for. A GRAND! :eek:

Anyway, tune in next time to see how bad I phuc up this fender. :p

Stay safe!!!

--

Doc

catdad49, Nostrebor, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  28. Beautiful job on the interior! Looking forward to the exterior updates.

ccain, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Cain, thanks for your generous comments.
    Yeah, I have some lower back issues and driving my old girl especially in traffic or hauling was just too much load on my back with the clutch non power brakes and numerous gear shifting, that was the basis of my going power discs and O/D auto tranny, then came the power steering as I am running a Dakota IFS setup from Industrial Chassis Inc in Phoenix AZ.
    I think I am getting a little soft in my old age as then I wanted an a/c unit.
    Best decision ever having a/c to top off all the other improvements.

I really like what you have done with your trim and I expect one day in the future when all my work horse days are over I will follow your lead.
    I could never get the original radio working so one day I will acquire a newer unit and add more sound deadening so I can hear it and that should do me.

Keep up the good work my friend and I still hope to meet up with you one day...

brEad, fauj, ccain and 2 others like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

We used slim bars maybe 3 feet long that were curved on the end just for problems like this. Looked similar to these but were substantial maybe 1/2 diameter.

Slide between fender and body and push out the dent or rotate to "scrape" outward to remove the dent.

These were the only thing close I could find for sale now. Similar but less substantial. The old ones were not that curved on the end more straight and no "Pointed' ends they had a rounded end for less marring.

1.jpg

Nostrebor, ccain and Thor1 like this.