Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 5w Coupe project continue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, May 28, 2016.

1. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great progress! This will be one great coupe when finished...

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Just love it when the youngsters get involved........... course now grandson is 6'-6'' ah da memories...
    10b.jpg

Stogy, Oneball, sidewayzz69 and 6 others like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks, Nice picture !!!

Here in Finland feels that many parents are make their living too hurry. They "fly like chicken" from morning to evening. They are not interested in to teach small things like arrange things, cleaning, make small repair or maintenance (grasshopper, bicycle, skateboard,...). How can those kids learn if older people are not show things and take care like Carl in that pic ? Also important to talk about things what see home, on trip,.... When we travel, I tell to Oskar how thresher and other machines are work. All what we see when we going somewhere.

Many of my age american car owners are so lazy. I talk how I see things here in Finland, not know real situation in US, Australia, Germany, N-Z, Canada,....
    90% of them are lazy and never try to do themself. If never try, You never know. They just leave car for other men, who are do all. After all those car owners are like "world owners" when they show their car in cruising, car show.... How can those men study their kids, if they never try to learn themself?

Oskar is back from Estonia. One week more and their next school season is start. Yesterday we just checked trailer, mixed some race fuel, charge batteries (trailer, nova) etc. I drive down to Helsinki on Friday. Saturday they have in Malmi airfield street race (https://www.fhra.fi/malmi-street-drags-1/). I leave my trailer+nova south because there is many interesting street race competition (registered street cars, not heavily modified) next weekends. All summer we have just wait and now looks that races are "turned on" ... Same time they race near of my place Finnish Championship drag racing (LSK Business park). Too expensive for me and there is no interesting class for me.

Street race we have this kind of classes (95% same than 80´s when I race last time street race):
    A) 0-4000cc naturally aspirated
    B) 0-4000cc superchargered (turbo, centerfugal, roots, screw, Nos..)
    C) Small block (all)
    D) Big block (all)

Today need to continue trunk lid welding. I haven´t decided how I made bottom edge of lid.....but if not try, never know what is result !!! hahaa

Aulis

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Stogy, Maicobreako, brEad and 3 others like this.
  4. patsurf

patsurf

well,after you tell him how the thresher works,look inside a baler,and tell ME how they STAY working -they work on the same principle as aircraft machine gun timing,pretty much-chain drive needle/knotter assy that looks like it wouldn't last one cycle!

Stogy likes this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today worked 6-7hours with those two panels which are bolted on inside of that panel between trunk lid and fuel tank. Those are new United Pacific stuff. I can say, not good quality. holes are not same line.... I feel that worked too long time with those, but now all fit good. I stretch and shrink, weld and modified all day. Next I need to finish trunk lid lower edge.

Now evening I drove my cabriolet in to US closed trailer. Tomorrow (Friday) morning we go to Oulu (North-Finland). They have there car meeting (approx. 800-1000cars) in horserace track area. Normally I drive my hot rod to meetings, but now we take pick up+trailer and cabriolet inside trailer. He is so young, not want that he is sick next week ,when new school season is started. Normally I sleep in trailer, but now I booked hotel. Boys weekend. We visit my friends garages, American 50´s dinner, car meet...

I was booked to Helsinki Street Race, but Oskar´s mother need to work all weekend and I don´t want to go race with him. when I race, I cant follow him..... too dangerous. Better that we go to Oulu Ride in car meeting. There we can stay together.

Aulis
    rod-coupe160.jpg rod-coupe161.jpg rod-coupe162.jpg rod-coupe163.jpg rod-coupe164.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Stogy, PONTNAK123, Tim and 5 others like this.
  6. fegsta

fegsta

Auliz can we turn oskar into a spurs fan if he likes football? Your hot rod is grate all the best.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. I hope he learn play electic fender in music academy. I have booked Oulu "ratina stadium" 2030.... Finland we do not have any real footballteam or real football player, so I do not belive that way to go foward......

We were in Oulu Ride In Motormeet. Long trip. I was not lucky. Yesterday morning in Oulu city we were drive around before they open meeting. I started from trafic lights, not "spoon on floor" start. that area 40kmh speed limit, police told me 71kmh. 556euro ticket..... They told me normally 31kmh overspeed = around 1000euro, but they like my car and our behavior, so they drop my speed to 61kmh.... 556euro = 650usd. Good money for hot rod parts,... I told to my son after police drive away " race cars, hot rods and women = expensive hobbies, but if You drink Your money, You do not have good memories how You spent Your money".

Aulis

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

This coupe arrived from CA to Finland 4years ago. Normally I do not have this kind of "forever" projects, but now I have break the rule.... I have worked with this car body 3 x 4-5weeks , so not so much, but period is long.
    Today I and my Oskar son push car out from my garage and moved trailer to my small garage 1/8mile from my house. Warm, dry small 24squaremeter garage. Cabriolet is also there all winter season.

After 1-2weeks my Roadster project is come in. That car is so good that I built it first. I bought it from Upland CA from well know hot rod builder. Also some engine stuff (big flathead and normal) from another older hot rodder from NC USA. Those + some bias ply tires, gauges, 1932 steering box, headlights.... are packed same container than roadster. Roadster I start to built begining of year 2021 and car is ready 5/2021. While I still built my customers 1932 coupster and add pics to own thread daily/weekly.

Aulis

rod-coupe165.jpg rod-coupe166.jpg rod-coupe167.jpg rod-coupe168.jpg rod-coupe169.jpg

Attached Files:

Stogy, PONTNAK123, Drylake and 8 others like this.
  9. Good looking cars Aulis, hope they sleep well this Winter! You have a lot of Sisu. ;)

Stogy and fegsta like this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Last update this thread November 2019....
    This coupe has been waiting for too many years....
    After 1-2month I will continue. Still need to weld little here and there. After that I chop top. Maybe 4 1/2" or little more.

I bought few month ago interesting car from Middle-West USA. 1955 Chevrolet Cameo Carrier (265+hydramatic). That project is also very interesting. Let´s see real condition when car is arrive to Finland later this month.

Aulis

rod-coupe189.jpg rod-coupe190.jpg rod-coupe191.jpg rod-coupe192.jpg rod-coupe193.jpg rod-coupe194.jpg

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

5w coupe is back home garage. Maybe on November I can continue welding, shrinking, hammering,... I chop top 4-5".

Before it I have worked couple of weeks
    with 32 roadster project. I have sold that car, but promised to built 304cid flathead engine ready, change ring and pinion to 3.54:1, chop windshield frame and posts from 2" chopped to 3" chopped.
    Now Roadster is ready and waiting for new owner pick it up to south-finland.

Aulis

haag-81.jpg haag-82.jpg haag-83.jpg haag-84.jpg haag-85.jpg haag-87.jpg haag-89a.jpg haag-90.jpg haag-91.jpg haag-92.jpg haag-93.jpg haag-94.jpg haag-95.jpg haag-96.jpg haag-97.jpg haag-98.jpg haag-99.jpg haag-100.jpg haag-101.jpg haag-102.jpg haag-103.jpg haag-104.jpg

Aulis

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Few roadster project pics more. Winshield +posts 3" chopped.
    biggest problem was 3.54:1 Ring and pinion. Problem was not that it is mean to use 35-> fords and this rear end is 32 V8 (33,34). Many times I try to put it together, but it stack. I need to lathe 0,90mm from bearings place.

Engine is 304cid with thickstun heads, thickstun intake, mallory dual distr, 4.25"stroke crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, hot rod cam, 1.55" valves,... basic engine is 1952-53 mercury.
    New 10" clutch
    1939 DD tranny with syncros. I changed both ball bearings to 2RS -sealed version.

haag-105.jpg haag-106.jpg haag-107.jpg haag-108.jpg haag-109.jpg haag-110.jpg haag-111.jpg haag-112.jpg haag-113.jpg

Attached Files:

Tim, Drylake, brEad and 9 others like this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally I have time to continue this hot rod project.... Last time worked with this coupe September 2020.
    While I have built P-51 supercharged roadster, customers cars like 1932 coupster and 1936 pick up, couple of engines.

Yesterday I pushed out 1936 ford pick up. All garage is for this project. This winter goal is get welding jobs ready, grind all weldings down, chop top, make some changes for original body and frame and spray epoxy over all parts.

Engine is ready. 296cid flathead. 4 1/4" stroke internal balaced flathead with navarro heads, big Manley ProFlo valves, Winfield style newgrinded cam, McCulloch M-36 centerfugal supercharger, Tom Cirello magneto, 2 x 94... I have also built years ago tranny which is 39 DD with new sealed bearings and changed new syncros. Orig. 1932 Rear end is also ready. 3.25:1 Ring and pinion, tubes are cut changed from end to another rewelded and wheel bearing surfaces I have changed too. Orig frog shocks are also rebuilt. Brakes will be original 1941 Lincoln (front and rear). Last winter I fixed those brandnew wheels. Those are powder coated (Pearl gold).

Heavy 1932 axle is dropped to 3 3/4", axle + wishbones ect are cromed in Sweden.

Lets continue with Art. Today I found those big framed posters. Rob. Williams art is allways on top.
    I was forget that i have those pictures. Older Gentleman in California gave those +10y ago. Now I need to hang those nice art on the wall in my working room.

Rgds,
    Aulis from middle of snow
    rod-coupe200.jpg IMG_6410b.jpg IMG_6411b.jpg IMG_6412b.jpg IMG_6413b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    ct1932ford, LOU WELLS, Tim and 12 others like this.
  14. Glad to see you back on this project! I will be looking forward to your updates.

Stogy likes this.
  15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello,
    Thank You for Your actuate!

Yesterday engine drop down to its place. I want to see that all fits. I must built own bracket for 12v generator. You can see that v-belt pulley for generator belt is backside of mcculloch.
    I need to cut magneto angledrive shorter. I use that Tom Cirello 426cid mopar magneto. Need to cut magneto driveshaft and "chop" top of angledrive... This week need to continue welding jobs. Trunk lid is "semiready"....

I decided that I make one piece hood. Top only. holes for carbs and bead.....

Aulis
    rod-coupe201.jpg rod-coupe202.jpg rod-coupe203.jpg rod-coupe204.jpg rod-coupe205.jpg rod-coupe206.jpg rod-coupe208.jpg

brEad, PONTNAK123, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool!

Stogy likes this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Fuelpump fills good that empty space. 12V generator will locate Drv side.
    Tomorrow I get bracket in pics ready.
    Aulis

rod-coupe211.jpg rod-coupe212.jpg rod-coupe213.jpg rod-coupe214.jpg rod-coupe215.jpg rod-coupe216.jpg

PONTNAK123, brEad, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Generator installed. I decided to use 12v mercury generator. Maybe it has been 12v model originally. They have stamp on it "12V". Other ones are oder pre 1948 model, I have changed those from 6V to 12V.

Yes, generator is little too much out from engine room. For me its ok, maybe somebody don´t like it.
    Still I can cut brackets in head and generator, so maybe finally generator is 1/2" more near supercharger.

Now sleeping all days. Virus push me on sofa.

Aulis

rod-coupe217.jpg rod-coupe218.jpg rod-coupe219.jpg rod-coupe220.jpg rod-coupe221.jpg rod-coupe222.jpg rod-coupe223.jpg rod-coupe224.jpg rod-coupe225.jpg rod-coupe226.jpg rod-coupe227.jpg

PONTNAK123, brEad, Oneball and 5 others like this.
  19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Nice work !!
    A Question,
    What type of tool in shown in the picture
    of the Banjo & the pinion ,,,
    Is it a 90 deg press ???

Stogy and Oneball like this.
  20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Great work on your cars, pardon me, if you have already discussed it, but tell us about the cover art gracing your shop walls.

Stogy likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Please, show me what You mean. I don´t understand.
    What picture and what tool?
    Aulis

Stogy likes this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

I like small garage. You get better feeling work there. Radio open 24/7 (classic rock). Yes, it would be nice to own big garage, but here its so expensive because need to have 4" urethane panels or 8" regular insulation on walls + 24" blowed insulation on top.... Everything costs when You have real winter and want to keep garage warm.

Those prints on wall are made here in one advertising agency. Old drawings from Hot Rod books.
    Have one more which is black and white salt lake picture banner, but not free space for that.
    Framed fotos are from Los Angeles area. One old man sold those when i was living in LA area (2003-2005).
    He told me "I was selling tires to gas stations LA area from 50´s to end of 90`s".

few own cars introduction prints too. This (see pic) is latest.
    Aulis
    gs-160.jpg

Stogy and brEad like this.
  23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

the 90 deg tool shown with wrench,

IMG_1119.png

Stogy likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    Stogy, SilverJimmy and bymanr like this.
  25. AmishMike

AmishMike

I also wondered what that angled tool was. Never seen hydraulic jack like that.

Stogy likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

They let me know that operator has removed some of my pictures here 5w coupe project or 1936 pick up thread.
    They say "EFI engine, too hitech...." I say, I can live without leave here any picture or any thread.

I have think all the time that very much pictures here different project stories are give something for somebody...
    I dont know how to act. what pics I can leave here and what not, if there is too hitech stuff in some pictures
    I really try to do all my cars old style using only old stuff (old original, old race, old hiperf) or homemade constructions.

Sorry about all threads where I have "wrong" pictures. Here North Finland we have many things "wrong" but still we are going strong. I hope that nobody has lost their sleep if my pics are too hitech or other way wrong...

Aulis

Stogy, PONTNAK123 and brEad like this.
  27. Oneball

Oneball

What are all the trophies for on the shelf?

Stogy likes this.
  28. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love your posts - keep posting, great builds

Stogy and brEad like this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hi-Tech EFI, TBI,... 1932 ford project continue.
    I hope all pictures are OK and HamB operators not loose their night´s sleep.

- changed generator bracket. Didn´t like first version
    - Aisi 316 tank to firewall like overflow tank
    - Tachometer installed on cowl
    - Seat welded, hammered new backrest wood made
    - Turned today 7meter sheetmetal for garnish mouldings. Only have one original moulding and its for rear window. Maybe not use that too. Easy to make own design mouldings. I note that original mouldings or UP new ones costs over 2000usd.....
    - Wednesday bought from music store bankruptcy one electric quitar (Les Paul Custom epiphone + Starfield 2 x 100w amplifier. Oskar (13y) has play quitar since he was 7y old (folk high school). He is travel now to estonia with his mother He takes one electic quitar + small Marshall with. I glue my sticker to guitar bag... Yes, I have sponsored all, because It´s good thing that "once again rock´n´roll saves one young man from sports".
    Aulis

rod-coupe228.jpg rod-coupe229.jpg rod-coupe230.jpg rod-coupe231.jpg rod-coupe233.jpg rod-coupe235.jpg rod-coupe236.jpg rod-coupe237.jpg rod-coupe238.jpg rod-coupe239.jpg rod-coupe240.jpg rod-coupe241.jpg rod-coupe242.jpg rod-coupe243.jpg rod-coupe244.jpg rod-coupe245.jpg rod-coupe246.jpg rod-coupe247.jpg rod-coupe248.jpg rod-coupe249.jpg rod-coupe250.jpg

aulis

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Seat is nearly ready for installation. Need to make brackets to subframe for seat slides.
    Today few hours worked with drv side door garnish moulding. Need to make one piece more to front side of moulding , shrink, drill holes, weld small fittings backside of moulding and make small bending all over moulding.

A rod-coupe251.jpg rod-coupe252.jpg rod-coupe253.jpg rod-coupe254.jpg rod-coupe255.jpg rod-coupe256.jpg rod-coupe257.jpg rod-coupe258.jpg rod-coupe259.jpg rod-coupe260.jpg rod-coupe261.jpg rod-coupe262.jpg