Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Still experimenting with the bead roller. I need a larger opening in the drivers floorboard for access to the dual master cylinder. I can't figure out a way to get the entire floorboard through the bead roller so I made a practice run at a panel to weld into the floorboard. I'm not totally happy with it so I may take another swing at it. Of course once the carpeting is in, no one but me will know it's there. MCcover.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just for the practice would try another one - much better than a piece of cardboard held down with duct tape

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and RMONTY like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yes, I will try again. I have little to no experience with this so I am not going to accept my first attempt. I bought a 4 x 10 sheet of 18 ga. I have plenty to experiment with.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Im thinking of using rivnuts to hold the cover on the floorboard. Will need some sort of gasket to seal everything off. I will figure that out along the way.....

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. Being where it's located I'd do a tab on one end and just a sheetmetal screw on the other. Reason being the elements. You crimp in a rivnut and install a screw. Works good today while it's freshly done. 5 years from now when you need to open it up the screw is rusted into the rivnut. You twist a little harder and the rivenut brakes loose and turn with the screw on it. Once you get done drilling out both the rivnut and screw you can only install a Large Fat sheetmetal screw. Save yourself the exercise and just start out with a small skinny sheetmetal screw in the first place. Once the carpet is over it nobody will know (I think you said that). As for a gasket just put a small bead of R.T.V. in the relief you roll in it and just let it dry. Once dry set the cover on top of it. Done deal.

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been working on this for the past few days. I rolled the beads in the floorboard and without pre stretching it kinda twisted up. This should help get it flat again.

ss1.jpg ss2.jpg ss3.jpg ss4.jpg ss5.jpg ss6.jpg ss7.jpg ss8.jpg ss9.jpg

Nostrebor, brEad, drdave and 5 others like this.
  7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have been going to do that to mine for over 20 years! But then I would have to add to the shop to store it ! The stand they came with slides under one of the bench's. That's the problem with being a 50 plus year toolaholic a 4000 sq foot home shop is to small! lol Nice job on the stand. Larry

8. Nice work on the stand. Myself, I got used to the feel with my hand telling me what was going on with the piece so I keep mine portable plus for me it's about sharing Floor space. I recently took some Ugly off a pair of 34 Chevy fenders. That took a fair amount of Free Hand work to get the new shape I wanted. Photo1. In order to get the same shape on the opposite fender I made a Grid top to bottom and put lines in same place on opposite fender. Take note of lower edge of fender. Photo 2. I then make templets out of 18 gauge that fit tight to the lines. Photo3. This lets me flip the templets and make sure my profile is the same on both fenders. There isn't any way I can do this and control what I'm doing with my Foot. Plus I couldn't stand on one foot long enough to get the job done. Hell, I'm lucky to be able to stand that long on both feet.
    20200626_201439.jpg 20200629_121451.jpg 20200630_081006.jpg

9. Really like that stand! Nice job!!

loudbang, Nostrebor and RMONTY like this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hanging some sheet metal to see how close (or far off ) all the patch panels will be.

729202001.jpg 729202002.jpg 729202003.jpg

I think I am going to assemble the inner and outer rockers to make "the box", and then fit the rockers all the way back to the front of the quarters. I have to make a few of the pieces to go between the inner rocker and the outer fender, but that is no big deal. The rear of the quarters will be the easy part I think.

As mentioned, the profile of the door jambs isn't exactly correct on the patch panels, but I have plenty of door jambs to get that part right. I am going to concentrate on getting the rockers straight and aligned, and then fit the door jambs. The long doors "swoop" down near the back, where as the Sedan Delivery doors are straight across the top. Not a big deal, it will just take a bit of massaging to get a good fit.

11. You've came a long way brother! Your build thread was the first one i looked at when i joined here, it's pretty amazing what you've gotten done since November ;):D keep up the good work sir

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks brother! I have to admit I am a bit jealous of your ride, but it keeps me motivated towards getting mine ready to drive. I am definitely more of a mechanic than I am a sheet metal/body guy but I am learning and enjoying every minute of it. I have to steer myself away from trying to get everything perfect or I will never finish this up. There is a happy medium between mediocre and perfect, and with this being the most involved project I have ever done, that is what I am shooting for.

13. You don't have to impress anybody but yourself, but I'm tickled every time you post new pictures. You've come a long way on that longroof my friend. If somebody only seen it the way it sits now, they'd never believe what you started with! I drove mine to the paint supply today, bout 20 miles round trip. Longest voyage so far, and it was perfect.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks man....I have been coming to realize that I can't re-make all the parts that are rusted out and have it looking like it came out of the factory. It's a custom, so I am going to start making custom pieces. This isn't a concourse restoration so I need to get away from that mentality.

My goal in the next few weeks is to get the rockers tied together, get the roofs cut and fit, and then work on getting the jambs and doors all looking and working good.

Getting the left eye (cataract!) taken care of on Aug 11, so that is going to slow me down for a couple of weeks, but at least this time I know what to expect. I can see so much better already!

15. You're exactly right about that!! This is customs and hot rods, we don't care about restorations around here ;) why make it like somebody else already did, when you can make it better:cool:

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  16. Seems like you and I bounced around some talk about Door tops and Drip rails for this conversion. Am I loosing track of things?

loudbang likes this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Not sure where you think you are losing track? The vertical door jambs on the patch panels aren't the correct profile, so I will use door jambs from the various parts cars to make that right. Across the top of the door and as far as the drip rail goes, I will use what is there from the green 4 door. I looked into having some drip rail made up and replacing it but decided not to go to that length. I can splice it where it will be acceptable. The Sedan Delivery doors are pretty much straight across the top, and the 2 door long doors swoop down slightly at the rear of the door. It's a subtle difference, but it is a difference. I can make that work. I am not going to try to modify the doors to that extent. The first picture is of another project. I believe it is a 1953 or 1954....a bit different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I think we had a conversation before Delivery #2 showed up. I had said something about moving the stock S.D. door jamb back and keeping the squared off top rear corner of the door and making a splice in the drip rail when using a second front roof section to not have to lean the windshield back. That was a long time ago and the other body. Carry on, I'll go back under my Rock.

loudbang likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yes we had that conversation. I will take some pictures showing that the tops of the Sedan Delivery doors are not the same as the 2 door doors. It isn't a big deal to make it all work though. Thanks for your input, we are on the same page I think!

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Started putting pieces back on permanently today. Right side rocker and the front section of the right quarter panel are roughed in. In spite of me not knowing what the fuck I am doing, it turned out pretty well in my eyes. I'm sure some of you guys are rolling your eyes and are looking away like it is a bad car wreck with bloody bodies everywhere, but unless you are here to help, don't hate! :)

20200801_104801.jpg rockerright3.jpg rockerright4.jpg rockerrigtht1.jpg

21. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Hey, it looks good from here!

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Couldn't be happier with the fit up here. I cut along the top of the new panel at a 45 degree angle with a cutoff wheel. It is a tight a fit as I could possibly hope for. Now its time for a million spot welds....

20200801_171010.jpg

23. You've come a long way buddy. Progress is progress, your doing fine. Ya, to bad I'm not close enough to pitch in a bit. I think we'd both enjoy that.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Here is where I am leaving it for the evening....I need to find a victim to crawl inside and hold a dolly while I do a bit of hammering to get things straight, but pretty pleased overall. Shouldn't require much mud to get everything looking good....a slight skim coat at most.....

The only complaint I have with the EMS panels is whatever that shit is that they coat the panels with. I get it, it keeps them from rusting and gives them shelf life, but it puts a deposit on the MIG nozzle that is a bitch to get off. I have cleaned the nozzle at least a half dozen times. I may need to spray the nozzle with some PAM or go by Tractor Supply and pick up a jar of nozzle dip.

@ems customer service .....the panels fit great! Very pleased with my purchase and overall fitment. There is no way I could have formed these and gotten them looking this good!

20200801_211859.jpg

20200801_211921.jpg

25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yes sir, it'd be great to have some help from someone that is more of a perfectionist than I could ever be. My father was one of the most productive perfectionists I have ever known, but it didn't slow him down like it does me. I made my mind up this week to let the little things go and get this car built so I can drive the damn thing. Thanks for all the support, advice, input and encouragement along the way Mike!

26. ems customer service

ems customer service

good work, the ems guy

Bowtie Coupe, RMONTY and loudbang like this.
  27. Looking fantastic!!!

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

29. That must feel pretty good, having that on. Huge visual progress! Looks good, too.

Bowtie Coupe, RMONTY and loudbang like this.
  30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Well I am a week Postop on the left eye cataract surgery so it's back to work on the car. Vision is GREAT and getting better daily. I got this done this afternoon. I learned a bit while doing the passenger side and incorporated some of that into the drivers side. It looks pretty good to me. That's all for tonight. Need to get the rear quarter fit and start tacking it in. A job for tomorrow....

DriverQ1.jpg DriverQ2.jpg DriverR1.jpg DriverR2.jpg Driverr3.jpg