Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. I just sent you a PM, you saved my butt with a gear set & it looks like you saved me again ! lol

Nicholas Coe, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  2. Car People / Hot Rodders never cease to amaze me ! Steve (Algoma 56) friend Lyle offers to donate the parts I need & then relays them to my town an hour away via his wife who works in the area, also Gary (Roadster1927) offers to pull the parts if I want to have them shipped, meanwhile I call an old College buddy who mentioned he had an old flathead for me a couple years ago, this morning we go to his father inlaws, walk thru the fields to the back brush line & there is the parts I need in an engine still in a 51 truck frame with cab on it..
    20200731_125104.jpg
    Then his father in law Russ pulls up on the atv & says, "I think there is another truck motor laying in the dirt somewhere around here".. after a few minutes of poking around, sure enough look what we find...
    20200731_125214.jpg
    So I decided to leave the "complete" motor complete & pull the from the dirt sunk motor, plus it was in a shady spot... came off easily ! Even got the half moon key, now to clean up & get Snoopy back together & return Lyle's parts back to his stash ! Feeling very fortunate for all the offers of assistance !!
    I plan to return in near future to salvage both motors.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    WC145, AHotRod, Deuces and 15 others like this.
  3. Can't have enough flatheads; if you have the room to stash!

Woogeroo, Nicholas Coe and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Yesterday when I was at my buddy's father in laws sourcing parts for Snoopy I get talkin' shop with Russ an ol' area hot rodder himself & he is telling me how the torque tube was shortened in Snoopy & how the original builder didn't want to pay the machinist because he thought he went overboard by adding an intermediate bearing etc., then he gets up & says "I got something you might like to see, it isn't the best picture" - comes back from the house & drops this on the tailgate of his truck !
    Original owner at the wheel & builder riding shotgun in the 1964 Community Day Parade ! Looks like they had no air filter on it & the oil filter was still on it before being deleted later.
    Never know what you might find when digging for parts ! Was a great Day !!
    20200731_150259.jpg

VF-1, WC145, AHotRod and 15 others like this.
  5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

What a cool find, super COOL!:D

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Deuces, EVL401, Nicholas Coe and 4 others like this.
  7. Success ! Was so pumped to get home from work & get Snoopy back together !
    The wire brush & spray bomb rebuild on the pully looked good & I was able to put in a good used woodruff key as well.
    20200804_162319.jpg

AHotRod, Deuces, Hotrod1959 and 11 others like this.
  8. Nice work! Keep taking good care of "our" car!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Snoopy will be going into hibernation shortly as mother nature has already fired off a couple warning shots, the sun broke out this afternoon so I stretched his legs a little & stopped for a couple pictures 20201017_133301.jpg 20201017_133337.jpg .

WC145, AHotRod, Deuces and 23 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driving the Ole Hotrod was the most normal thing I've done in this muckup of a year...it's being a most picturesque fall ...thanks for continued sharing of your Snoopy Adventures...;)

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah fall has just really Started here. Generally we have a pretty long fall so it makes for some good cruising. Been looking forward to it alll summer.

snoop is looking good!

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I think my Roadster might of had its last run this year here in Wisconsin! Snoopy still looks great and has a proper caretaker! Gary:)

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Big cold front rolling in this weekend so we’re supposed to be down around -16 with a dump of snow. Had snow a couple times already. Needless to say my coupe’s been sleeping now for a few weeks! Happy winter

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe, LSJUNIPER and Denns1989 like this.
  14. I hear that ! Yep Snoopy made his hour long trip to his Winter Den two nights ago (when there was a break in the crap weather), now I'll get up on jack stands, pull the battery & put the cover on this weekend. 20201020_175433.jpg

WC145, AHotRod, Deuces and 14 others like this.
  15. Well, last time Snoopy Ran was late October 2020, here is its 1st fire up for the 2021 Season, gotta love this thing !

16. YJ4000

YJ4000

That's great! I can't believe we are getting our cars out. Time goes so fast. It seems like your last post was just a couple weeks ago not SIX months.

17. Way to go, Jer. Bet you didn't even have the block heater plugged in!

18. I know eh? Where does the time go ? Let's drive em before the snow flys again ha ha ha :)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  19. I waited till afternoon so it was the warmest time of the day, if I tried in the morning I probably would have needed a heat gun on the motor first, temp gauge barely moved the 50 mile trip home, nice "brisk" air to keep that flatty cool lol

20. crusty&rusty

crusty&rusty

Great to see that Snoopy is ready for another summer of cruising! Had my coupe out since March 14- earliest start in 8 years. Gotta love it here in the Banana Belt.

21. What a cool car. Can't believe I've missed this since 2014!

22. Well it's nice to share the story with ya all the same ! I see your from Fort Worth, I had the pleasure of working/living in the DFW area for 2 years awhile back, wife & I even got engaged in San Antonio, we hope to winter in Texas when we're retired, love it there

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

She popped right off ! Cool.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great thread, Jer. Feels like I know ya...
    Made me think back a ways, my bud Jim Rose found my '30 'A' Cabriolet body in a field a mile from my Grandma's in '55...I bought it for $3, then a month later an older rodder sold me a Deuce frame for $5, the rear end (rolling rear axle with driveshaft & torque tube) for another $5! Jim and I rolled a '36 front axle with wheels, tires and wishbone to seller's house to roll the frame home.
    Put it together with '38 221" flathead, '41 pickup box, '34 steering. '38 tube front axle, forward spring, 103" wheelbase.
    Sold it in '58, reclaimed it for non payment in '59. Sold it again to my friend Dick, he had it until his death in '76. Tried to get it back but his widow had sold it to someone from out of state.
    Yep. My "one that got away"... (it was channeled 5" over the Deuce frame, sat a little higher than Snoopy in back...but, it had to. California, you know...)
    Wonderful thread, congrats from a 78 year old that's been a rodder since 1954.
    Oh, I'm working on my '27 T touring on Deuce rails (highboy) now, Hell no I ain't quittin'!
    Hope to run into ya sometime...Keep the faith.

25. Hey, thanks for the kind words & sharing some thoughts, I feel very fortunate to be the caretaker, likewise hopefully our paths will cross someday, you never know life is funny that way ! Take Care

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. This past Thursday the local "Car Guy's" were meeting for a "Cars n' Coffee", a friend of ours son (about 11 years old) is really interested in old cars / auto mechanics & this past winter she had asked me if I could give him a taste of the Car Stuff - that's all I needed to hear !
    I still remember every second of my first ride in a 1934 Buick Street Rod, and I think this kid will remember his 1st ride in an old car as well , on our return as I was gearing down & the exhaust was snapping, he patted the his hand on the door window opening and said "yes, I'm going to own an old car one day, yes I am"... I grabbed a copy of the magazine Snoopy was in & told him to keep it & read up (he held that magazine like a block of gold lol), we have some wrenching & cruises planned in the future. This, this is what it's all about.

AHotRod, Jet96, Deuces and 22 others like this.
  27. Very cool!!!

28. YJ4000

YJ4000

Yea! That's great.

29. Recently I was headed back from a Cruise Nite about an hour away from home, after dark, cruising along at 60 mph on freshly laid asphalt... turns out they weren't done laying the new asphalt & after hitting the first "step", two more followed in the time I had to say "ohh S@!*" , I shuddered at how "solid" the hit was, but there was Snoopy crusin along no worse for wear, I was adjusting the brakes today & decided to check to see if I could find any evidence, sure enough I found the undercoating on underside of the frame disturbed right above the axle, first time I bottomed it out I suppose, everything else seems o.k., wheww not sure if new shocks would have helped in this situation but I have been meaning to get serious about replacing those, guess this is a good reminder ha ha
    20210828_173433_resized.jpg

Jet96, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,my old rod { built in 1959 } dose bottom out at rear axles if it's a very hard bump,I've got 3.75 in. of space before it can hit,and if two are riding,only 3in. with a full tank of gas.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
    loudbang, Deuces, AHotRod and 4 others like this.