Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 392 HEMI with Muncie help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

So I found some discussions on here regarding the topic, yet I’m still confused.

I have a 1957 392 chyrsler and recently picked up a date code ‘68 Muncie 4 speed. The trans did not have a bell housing when I bought it.

After looking at wilcap and some other stuff online, I still don’t know what I need to mate these 2 together. The 392 has the stock cast plate bolted to it... I’m looking for the simplest solution. Seems it’s gonna be costly... Is there an adapter/bell housing combo out there? Or do I need a stock aluminum bell housing and then buy an adapter? Don’t have a starter yet, so I’m open to getting whatever I would need depending on adapter.

Never used a Muncie or HEMI before........

thanks!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. 40Vert

40Vert

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Thanks. That’s the first adapter I found that I thought might work... I’ll give them a call...

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Bob at Hot Heads resells the Wilcap stuff. I'm sure Bob can help you too, but I'd probably just go straight to the source and get in touch with Patrick at Wilcap.

bighemifan likes this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hemi wise nothing is cheap. Bob did supply items needed for my 1955 291 DeSoto . He did have some cool t shirts as well.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. How hard are you planning to drive your Hemi powered rod when complete? If you have any plans that involve power shifts, hard launches or racing of any kind, put a scatter shield in place of a stock bell housing. Clutch/flywheel explosions are nothing to take lightly.

302GMC, HemiDeuce and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  7. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

No racing, but I’ll drive it hard. Going in a ‘32 five window... buddy of mine recommended a shatter shield too, forget what brand he has on his Muncie.

Dave29 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Wilcap adapter on the back of my 354. It is Swiss watch precise, and worth every penny.

Hemi and cheap do not go well together.

Unless you are headed to the track, or are running really sticky tires on the street, a scatter shield is not necessary.

Gotgas and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. What Mr Gimpy said .

And besides,,,,,,if you’re very hard on it,,,,,,,the Muncie will fail long before the clutch or flywheel .
    I always liked the Muncies,,,,but I have broken a couple of them,,,,on street tires,,,,,with a SBC .
    After the gear failure I would try to limp it home,,,,back roads , two lane blacktop,,,,,,jerking and snapping,,,,chunks of gear meshing occasionally,,,,,LoL .

They were fun while they lasted though !

Tommy

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. I used a Ansen Scatershield on mine. One nice feature is the removable part on the bottom to inspect the clutch and throw out bearing. IMG_1273.JPG

bobss396, rod1 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Does that bolt up to the HEMI without an adapter??

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. That's a small/big-block unit. attached via an adapter.

I am pretty sure that you are not going to get around the adapter issue, unless you can find a boutique (rare, and expensive) vintage speed part, or have access to a machine shop that you can use for free.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  13. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Babbleon all the info here is very good and accurate but to answer your question on the original post I have never seen a direct bolt up conversion bell. There is always an adapter that bolts to the block and utilizes a Chevy pattern bell or whatever transmission bell your using. There are ways to use all Mopar factory components but if its a munci you want your going to need an adapter unless like gimpysey said some one off rare piece. If your not familiar with it do a search on the H.A.M.B. hemi tech and go to the transmission section and there’s a ton of stuff on there.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Ok thanks. After reading some threads I knew an adapter was a must, just in that pic I couldn’t tell. I guess going with sbc pattern bell housing and some model adapter (wilcap, hot heads) would be the ticket.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hotheads adapter comes from Wilcap.

Hotheads just sells it.