Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Edelbrock afb leaking fuel in intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Apr 5, 2020.

1. no55mad

no55mad

If the AFB equipped jalopy will be sitting for a prolonged period of time, put some light oil, like Marvel Mystery Oil, in the float bowls. The AFB's do have those large square hole bowl vents on both sides, next to the covers for the metering rods. Makes it easy to give it a good dose. Started doing that after disassembling these carbs that sat and evaporated the fuel from the bowls, which left some scaly white nasty looking deposits. Attribute that to the corn juice gas additive!

2. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ok. So I've been away from the car for awhile. But I didn't wanna leave this hanging. So we ran the car this summer and has some vapor lock problems. I noticed that the steel fuel line to the carb was hot, and the stock style fuel pump was very hot. Sooo... I bit the bullet and installed an electric fuel pump. After turning on the fuel pump for the first time a fitting in the steel fuel line along the frame starting leaking pretty bad. I never noticed that fitting leaking with the stock pump, but that was SUCKING fuel instead of PUSHING fuel. Maybe that was part of the vapor lock issue. I don't see how that could cause my empty carb issue, but the electric pump should take care of it now. I feel like I gave up, but I also fixed another problem at the same time.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. belair

belair

4. Ken Boellner

Ken Boellner

Had the same problem with a 1406 Edelbrock on two different vehicles. They would sit for a day and never start. I put the 1906 AVS2 on both of them and they can sit for a month and start right up.

stillrunners likes this.
  5. Sucking air!!!
    It won’t leak fuel on the suction low pressure side but will such air.
    Your E pump put the line in high pressure.

Actually it’s allowing the air to be pushed into the line. Physics and atmospheric pressure trying to reach equilibrium but I’m not going into that now.

dirty old man likes this.
  6. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Yup. I'm sure the stock style pump was sucking air. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't causing the empty carb troubles.

7. thanks for the update.....

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Remember the valves in the carb inlet on Quadrajets? We use to take them out and throw them away. The plastic ones with the little springs in them? Drain back.