Register now to get rid of these ads!

A couple of questions about the site.

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by tubman, Jul 30, 2020.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lately, I have experienced a couple of changes of how the site works. First, about a month ago, I started "losing" the pictures on threads. All I got was the little photograph icon and the file name. I found that if I "right-clicked" on the photo icon a menu would come up, I could then "left-click" on "Load Image" in the menu and the pictire would appear. Then, about two weeks ago, I noticed that "SpellCheck" was not working when I replied to threads. Are these problems with settings on the site or have I screwed up something deep in the bowels of the browser (Google Chrome).

Any help will be appreciated.

2. My go to fix for odd computer/phone activity is a simple re-boot. Just shut it off for a bit. Seems to work for me on most strange behavior.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  3. In all my years on here I have never had a spell check on the sight. I always have to ask my Wife. Where did it used to be?

flatford39 likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, "re-booting" didn't work. Any more ideas?

5. flatford39

flatford39

I had no idea that it had spell check...god knows it needs it though. There is a lot interpretation required to understand what a lot people type here.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm gonna start investigating "Browser Settings".

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How to add "Spell Check" (at least in "Google Chrome") :

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Scroll all the way down and click on Advanced Settings.
    3. Click on "Languages”.
    4. Turn on the feature by tapping on the slider. The slider will turn blue when the spelling checker is turned on.
    That's one.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49ratfink likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"That's one..." Good one, T-man! Reminds me of a story... Everything does!

10. I went into Google Chrome and did as advised. I guess I had a spell check on all along. It underlines anything I misspell (nearly everything) however it don't give me a corrected spelling like an E-Mail program. Maybe that's just all there is. At least I know I'm wrong.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Usually if you click on the underlined (misspelled) word it will show the correct spelling and several alternatives.

Mick

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The site has a lot of stuff, but spell check and paragraph options is not an option for all. Most posts are just one sentence or two. The others are one long typed words that get jumbled up and look like a third grader typed it. The criticism for being an old photojournalist and writer was pointed out, as I used to type fast with all lower case letters and no paragraphs. Just to make sure it looked like the other posts.

Then after checking my own method as being easier than just typing on the actual HAMB post section. Then, when I was ready with all paragraphs spell checked by my own computer and my own skills, it was ready for the cut and paste onto the HAMB post box. Sure, it would be nice if this website had the word correction, grammar errors and a nice spell checker, but websites are limited in what they can do for the public use.

Since we all learned in elementary school and definitely in high school, to write in complete sentences and write in paragraphs, it should not have been a problem. But obviously, it is. So, to make things easier on the person who posts, here is a simple solution.

1. Don’t write or post any typing on a tablet or phone app. Too small and most don’t have spell checkers or grammar correction protocols.

2. Save your mobile time for arriving safely and then start typing on something like a full page Word Document. Microsoft has already place plenty of things for anyone to safely type what you want, spell check as you go or previous settings set up for the corrections beforehand. Once those rules are in place, the typing gets neater and the grammar usage improves when being challenged by the program. Spell check is usually done on the spot and it is shown to you to correct. Or use the built in Smart Lookup tab.
    upload_2020-7-30_17-13-24.png

Yes, this is simple and helpful, but, it is not a lesson on paragraph writing. Sometimes, the simple terms we all use as slang constantaly gets a reminder when it is misspelled or typed incorrectly. ERROR SAMPLE BELOW:

upload_2020-7-30_17-14-34.png
    The red line tells you that the word is misspelled and need attention.

Jnaki

Needless to say, the Microsoft Word Program is set up to help make paragraphs legible for publication. In the beginning, it was fast and simple, and I did not have to worry about errors or capitals. The information was put down on paper. But, in looking at what it was, it definitely needed help. Sometimes, re-reading a typed document helps see the overall paragraph or paragraphs for clarity.

The only other option is to get something like these two popular programs for your laptop or home computer. Google Docs Voice Typing or the popular Dragon Home speak and type programs are some of the most famous and helpful. You talk and the computer program does the typing. Letters, paragraphs, journal entries and business letters, etc. are all covered in the programs.

lothiandon1940 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. birdman1

birdman1

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't need smell check.

lothiandon1940 and scotty t like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spell check is probably the best feature of Chrome. I changed computers and have been using Edge on this one and it is missing a few things but I am not getting spammed near as much as I was.

Photos may be due to how some folks load them. Or a lot of the old ones stored on Photobucket got lost when Photobucket jacked up their prices. They also get lost when some guys delete the photo on photobucket or another site.

Still I have had more issues in the past when my computer "updated" and some of the settings got changed in the update. I'm thinking that running on Windows and using the Chrome browser had a lot to do with that in my case.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. Only if you made less than $99,999.;) Just like your corona check.:p The government sends it.:eek::oops:

17. Never have any problems so far,,,,,but I use an IPad.
    Touchscreen,,,,,I can enlarge any photo with just my index finger and thumb .

I probably need to investigate spell check though,,,,sometimes I have to do a little editing,,,,LoL .

Tommy

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What?

rusty valley likes this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lets check it. EVER since I tOOk the eVelyn Woodhead Spid ridden Course, My ridden has Impraved considerblY. nope its fiyn.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing that I did not expect to show up because of this thread : There are a lot of perverse people on this forum.:rolleyes:

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  21. upspirate

upspirate

Just checked it, spell check works for me

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Spell check please!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

perverse
    [ per-vurs ]

adjective

willfully determined or disposed to go counter to what is expected or desired; contrary.
    characterized by or proceeding from such a determination or disposition:a perverse mood.
    wayward or cantankerous.
    persistent or obstinate in what is wrong.

24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I deleted my sarcstic post. My apologies also.

Thor1 likes this.
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

SpellCheck is handy, but it won't help with grammar flow. Need Grammar Check for that.
    I see "to" in place of "too" a lot. And "then" in place of "than".
    "I am to tired to go to the store to."
    "This car is faster then my other car."

Then I remind myself that this is a Hot Rod site. I get the message.
    We have a Vice President at work that sends out deadly important emails to all employees riddled with grammar errors (there/their/they're, etc.) and I always get a smile out of it.

lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

But SpellCheck, Spell Check, or spell check won't (I don't think) keep one from using the wrong word . . .

"spell check on the sight"

sight – like sighting in a rifle
    site – a place

lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.
  27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cite – to quote someone

"Spell check won't keep one from using the wrong word." –Stan Back

:D

Thor1 likes this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes sir... Those are all browser related it sounds... and not site issues.

29. Robert Masterson

Robert Masterson

I know my spelling is not perfect, I usually try to correct it but most people understand what a person means. If you really want to correct someone try reading a Chinese instruction manual and talk to them.

Thor1, lothiandon1940 and rudestude like this.
  30. Don't underestimate the importance of proper grammar and punctuation.:D 1336075413637_9450087.png